Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bus Stations (Depots)

Default Re: Bus Stations (Depots)

I visited Preston myself in 2005. Sorry to say this, but as the pictures above show, their bus station looks really ugly. It was on par with Nottingham's Broad Marsh.
    I am a man (just in case anyone asks).

And the most grotty bus station award goes to...Eldon Square, Newcastle! This is where I caught the bus home throughout my childhood. Conveniently located below the shopping centre with no ventilation, you could practically cut the diesel fumes with a knife. Thankfully my buses moved out of there around the late 90's and the whole thing was redeveloped in 2007. It's now forms the lower floor of the shopping centre.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
    1976 Vintage

Manchester's Arndale Centre used to have a small bus station inside it.

It had a cafe that looked like it was last refitted in 1982 until the time it closed in the late 1990s.

For a few years it was empty, before it was pulled down & built over with more shops.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by Trickyvee View Post
    And the most grotty bus station award goes to...Eldon Square, Newcastle! This is where I caught the bus home throughout my childhood. Conveniently located below the shopping centre with no ventilation, you could practically cut the diesel fumes with a knife. Thankfully my buses moved out of there around the late 90's and the whole thing was redeveloped in 2007. It's now forms the lower floor of the shopping centre.
    I visited Newcastle in 2007 and didn't see any bus station like the picture above, perhaps they had already redeveloped it by then? - I was referring to the place where the National Express coaches stop in the city.

The Nottingham Victoria Centre bus station right up until the mid 1990s where the National Express coaches going north often picked passengers up, could have been another candidate, although thankfully that was redeveloped.

That bus station had gone by 2007, but the National Express coaches never went there. They used to go to the old bus station up in Gallogate. That too has gone and they go to another elsewhere in the city - the latter I think was already in operation in 2007.
    1976 Vintage

Very evocative photo. I can practically smell the diesel fumes just looking at it!

Here in Bournemouth they demolished the bus station early eighties. Now they want to build a new one. Why didn't they just update the existing bus station for nowadays?

Since it closed their has been a carpark.

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

That bus station had gone by 2007, but the National Express coaches never went there. They used to go to the old bus station up in Gallogate. That too has gone and they go to another elsewhere in the city - the latter I think was already in operation in 2007.
    It must have been the Gallogate one then. I stayed in Jesmond for a few days back then and upon leaving the hotel, I basically asked the taxi driver to take me to the National Express coach station in the city.

I even remember Birmingham had a grotty bus station like that as well, in the mid to late 1990s.

I have a very vague memory of buses in the station under the old Bull Ring in Birmingham. That would have been in 1997(ish). When I went again in 99/2000 it seemed to have been replaced by an indoor market with lots of record and clothes stalls. I think it's now TK Maxx.