Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Cinemas

Default Re: Old Cinemas

Getting in about 5 minutes before the end of the previous showing and staying in your seat until the next
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Double-bills the norm rather than the exception. Being able to stay in your seat and watch the whole programme again if you wished--at least in the cinemas I attended. Pearl and Dean ad reels. Saturday morning cinema clubs for kids. Ads for cigarettes. 'X' cert films--weren't you so proud when you got in to see your first one? Kia-Ora pop in those rectangular plastic containers and tubs of ice-cream with those tiny plastic spoons. Dodgy short documentaries that were often shown prior to the main feature. Putting your arm round your girlfriend and trying for a kiss. The eclectic nature of some of the films and double-bills screened. Each cinema had an individuality that has been lost now that brand multiplexes dominate.

Toilets inside the cinema (and only one screen per cinema!)
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Anyone remember that smell in cinemas when you were a kid ? When smoking was allowed !

Mmmmmm.

Pearl & Dean were the main advertiser at the cinema; the maker or releasing agent of most of the films

Who remembers the subliminal advertising at the cinema? (now banned)

There was one advertiser that did this: The maker of Kira orange drink carton. A Kira orange carton would shoot across the screen during the film . Your subconscious picked it up so when you went to the cinema kiosk in the interval you would want a carton of Kira orange drink

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it. We would annihilate each other

I remember the days when smoking was allowed. I have a vague memory of the cinema I most frequently attended trying to segregate smokers and non-smokers but I don't think it was very successful.

There was the slight crackle on the soundtrack, particularly at the beginning of reels. Actually, I get a bit nostalgic for it when I listen to the pristine sound we get today.

The weekday matinee when attendance would be sparse. I've been many times when there were just a handful in the audience and once when it was just me alone.

Cheaper than Odeon; Odeon is about 7 odd whereas the Regent centre is 5.50 and concessions 5

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it. We would annihilate each other