Memories of Art lessons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memories of Art lessons

We did Collages - these was awesome as was Painting and Drawing Pictures!

I recall doing a Collage in 1993 and finding a Magazine in Art from 1977 .... back then that 16 years time seemed immense Lol

Re: Memories of Art lessons

I was rubbish at art!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

one term I ended up with double art at the end of the Friday time-table. It felt that I just needed to get past lunch and then the weekend was in touching distance .. an easy run-in. This was back in the early 80s. Even if you weren't too good at art, the teacher just left you to get on with it so it was a breeze. All you needed to do was occasionally show that you were working on something that was 'work in progress'. I did like art but never went further than CSE level.

Comment

Art was the best lessons in school. Apart from the first few weeks at secondary when the art teacher actually taught us what we needed to know(which did not seem to be much),she sat on her rear doing her own thing letting us get on with whatever we wanted pretty much. Somehow walked away with O'level in art after 5 years of secondary school but did not really feel I learned anything.

One week was given over to the whole class doing a part of the painting from the armchair treasure hunt book ,masquerade. I expect the teachers were trying to solve a particular puzzle and it gave the art teacher time during the lessons to come up with some idea about it.

Comment

The one lesson, besides PE, I absolutely loathed. My drawing capabilities would be best described has monkey level. It didn't matter how much the teacher instructed how things were done, I was still useless at it. One exam, in the first year of comprehensive, I was absent from due to a heavy cold. It's the only time I was glad of being ill. We had to do art until the third year of comprehensive, after that it was up to us. Strangely, I could paint and decorate a model, eg. Airfix type, to a great standard. Draw and paint on paper.....forget it!!!
          Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Art was one of my least fave subjects.

I really wasnt very good at drawing or painting.

From memory i think i had a triple period of this once a week but not 100 per cent sure.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Art was very hit & miss for me, some lessons would be great & others would be awful, depending on what was expected of me.

Drawing in 3d & shading was very hard for me, & the teachers just couldn't get me to manage it.

The teacher I had for GCSE was very bad for this, especially as he wouldn't let us use black paint, so anything that needed to be dark ended up a sludgy grey colour.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                Art was one of my least fave subjects.

I really wasnt very good at drawing or painting.

From memory i think i had a triple period of this once a week but not 100 per cent sure.
                I thought you might have loved it Darren mate!!!

Like Scooby we had it last lesson Fri - though not a double lesson, and it turned into more of a doss subject/walking out of it on others' part eespecially in First Year (Year 7) it was a great anitode to end the week free of stress - coupled with Paint-Fights too Lol

80sChav

Comment

I was half decent at Art. But then I went to a Grammar school and the only media we ever used was pencil and paper.

At comprehensive school in the sixth form all we ever seemed to do was try and draw these tweezle things in a vase. Impossible !

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                    I was rubbish at art!
                    Me too I dreaded that lesson each time which wasnt a good thing

Comment

i hated art lessons.

Comment

The art teacher at our school was Mrs Brown who was quite a hippy
                        sigpic
                        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I think most art teachers in my time were hippies or at least belonged to that mind set.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                            Art was the best lessons in school. Apart from the first few weeks at secondary when the art teacher actually taught us what we needed to know(which did not seem to be much),she sat on her rear doing her own thing letting us get on with whatever we wanted pretty much. Somehow walked away with O'level in art after 5 years of secondary school but did not really feel I learned anything.

One week was given over to the whole class doing a part of the painting from the armchair treasure hunt book ,masquerade. I expect the teachers were trying to solve a particular puzzle and it gave the art teacher time during the lessons to come up with some idea about it.
                            So true Batty mate - a lot of how you describe was similar at mine, but I had 3 very good Art Teachers at 2 Comps - so it was worth it

Though probably though my Art Teacher was not easy going as your one was

**I recall once in either first or 2nd year at Secondary as a Misc memory - we all hated the Headmistress and thought she did'nt care (though her Hand obviously became tied managing a Sink school), but I recall wagging it afew day's before and saw her in a local Petrol station and she never said anyhthing par, just giving me a nice look as she knew I had problms and a reason I had taken the day off that at the Petrol Station - but sure as you know nothing what is around trhe Corner - I thought Art last lesson that Friday would bewa doddle (let alone a doodle) until my Heart tempoarily sank upon seeing her walk into Art), but yer this is just one of those abiding memories that forever stick I think!!

80sChav

Comment

We had bad paint-fightys too and the berst thing was it was either borrow an Apron off Art Dept oruse your Cookery one (which for the first one - they never had any the School was of such sink standard and B) for the 2nd idea no-one wants to use an Appron for Cookery after Art - even if it has been washed - the marks don't always go away!

A few of the older Years got theirr Ties covered in paint too and their White Shirts = a bad idea with 11 to 15/16 year olds and they wonder why we did them thin-way's mega short as Science was the only suubject we was "alloud" to tuck them in the Shirt ..... no other practicals ..... crazy or what!!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                              X