Kodak Disc Cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodak Disc Cameras

Anyone remember the Kodak Disc format cameras that were introduced in the early 1980's?

Following on from the Instamatics 110 & 126 cassette film formats, the film was a flat disc inside a plastic cartridge. Each disc held fifteen exposures, arranged around the outside of the disc, with said disc being wound on to the next exposure automatically when the shutter was pressed.

Because the negatives were only 10 X 8 MM, picture definition was rather poor & the 35 MM format around this time was becoming more popular so the Disc format's days were numbered.

There are Kodak Disc cameras available very cheaply on ebay but i don't think you can get hold of the film these days.

Gam

Re: Kodak Disc Cameras

I still have one but no longer can you by the film discs
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Attached Files
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I did have the camera too but it must be squirreled away in the loft
        sigpic

Comment

I heard Kodak brought out the disc format because they lost a court case with Polaroid over their own instant picture format. Owners of cameras could trade them in for a disc camera.

While the picture quality was poor, the processing costs were low because the disc could be processed a lot quicker & easier than with film.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yes Richard that's what I heard
            sigpic

Comment

I remember seeing them advertised but never had one, only a cheap Kodak 126--Model 56X or something like that. The disc cameras seemed futuristic at the time but not as groovy as those Polaroid instant cameras. My parents' friends had a BW one and I thought it was so cool.

Comment

Both my brother & Dad had professional Cannon A1's. They both were & are photography buffs who develop their own photo's
                sigpic

Comment

It was simple point and shoot for us with developing done by Boots. I bought a 35mm camera once, a Practika MTL3 as it was so cheap, but I just couldn't get into serious photography and went back to the old Kodak 126.

Comment

The disc cameras looked cool and modern but the format was never really a success because image quality was poor and there were also issues with processing. In fact the 126 format disc was in part designed to replace was considerably better and by the early 1980s 126 cameras were very cheap as 35mm compacts were taking over. My dad worked for Boots and the guy in charge of the photographic department advised him to avoid disc cameras and go for either an end of line 126 or a basic 35mm compact.

Comment

Working...
                    X