Memories of Cookery Lessons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Memories of Cookery Lessons

Another memory that has just come to me - we were doing a cookery lesson in the Infants, and we all went down to our local Sainsbury's (not there anymore) to get the ingredients, similar to the line of kids that would walk down to the local swimming baths each week. I remember cocoa powder as one of the ingredients for some reason.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Re: Memories of Cookery Lessons

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
      I always associated cookery lessons with the girls carrying a whicker basket with ingredients (and later finished product) covered under a tea towel.

I remember on at least two occasions a recipe went wrong, and I also remember when we did chocolate chip cookies, the recipe went perfectly - the only problem was that when we put them in the oven and took them out again, they had grown inside the oven to one big cookie. We had to get a knife and slice them up, making them look like flapjacks or something, before putting them in the biscuit tin and carrying them home.

And unlike at home, you weren't allowed to lick the spoon or bowl for Health and Safety reasons!

We had cookery as the final lesson on Wednesday afternoons, and the lesson before that was swimming. As I didn't want to take the ingredients to the leisure centre with me, the school secretary looked after them until I came back to school, and I would pick them up on my way to the next lesson.
      This' the same here for me here George - I recall all these what you mention .... and of course recipes going wrong!!

I recall once I was making scones and they became the new fangled Rock Buns that superseeded Scones as a trend in my 1990s School-days!!

as I have said before - I have so many many amazing memories of H.E, it was almost a relief to have that lesson, as as just as with Art and Danny on GH, I had not 1 (as in Kendall's case) but 2 great Teachers (or 4 if you include again Art and HE at my 2nd secondary)who just knew their subjects so well and taught them as they should be - which can not always be as easily expressed in theory Classes occasionaly I found!!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
      X