Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time Travel/Civil War/Hidden Room: Do you remember the title of this book please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Travel/Civil War/Hidden Room: Do you remember the title of this book please?

This is a book I read at school in the 1970s. I recall it as a hardback. It may have been in the Heinemann's New Windmill Series (along with The Wheel on The School) - I have read through a partial list of New Windmills online but didn't recognise any of the titles. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a complete list of them with synopses. Probably published in 1960s or 70s; certainly before 1978.

This is the story: some children are staying in an old house in the twentieth century (when it was written - either in 60s/70s or it could have been that they were evacuated in 1940s?) and notice there is an extra window when viewed from the grounds, unaccounted for from inside the house. They spot a person moving about in this hidden room and make contact with him - he is a soldier from the English civil war, hiding from the other side. The children find a way into the hidden room and somehow travel through time whenever they interact with the fugitive. They help him by bringing him food and eventually enable him to escape.

Re: Time Travel/Civil War/Hidden Room: Do you remember the title of this book please?

Originally posted by MrsCocoa View Post
    This is a book I read at school in the 1970s. I recall it as a hardback. It may have been in the Heinemann's New Windmill Series (along with The Wheel on The School) - I have read through a partial list of New Windmills online but didn't recognise any of the titles. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a complete list of them with synopses. Probably published in 1960s or 70s; certainly before 1978.

This is the story: some children are staying in an old house in the twentieth century (when it was written - either in 60s/70s or it could have been that they were evacuated in 1940s?) and notice there is an extra window when viewed from the grounds, unaccounted for from inside the house. They spot a person moving about in this hidden room and make contact with him - he is a soldier from the English civil war, hiding from the other side. The children find a way into the hidden room and somehow travel through time whenever they interact with the fugitive. They help him by bringing him food and eventually enable him to escape.
    Yes this rings a faint bell with me also. It sounds just like the sort of thing I was into as a kid : Dr Who, Narnia, Timetunnel, Land of the Giants, Timeslip etc.

You sure it wasn't a TV series as well ?

Comment

Re: Time Travel/Civil War/Hidden Room: Do you remember the title of this book please?

This may have been made into a TV series shown on a Sunday around 5:30 pm. It rings a bell, but I can't remember the name of the series.
      Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

It might be 'The Clifton House Mystery' from 1978.
        A child is given a soldier's helmet and they discover a ghost or a soldier from the past in a room in the house that had been discovered by the children who reside in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
          It might be 'The Clifton House Mystery' from 1978.
          A child is given a soldier's helmet and they discover a ghost or a soldier from the past in a room in the house that had been discovered by the children who reside in the house.
          That rings a louder bell!!!! I think they discover a skeleton in the bed in the secret room in the end. It's the skeleton of a soldier. His ghost and the ghost of his wife are seen at the end.
          Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Working...
          X