Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Were You a Dresser?

Originally posted by JPRo View Post
    I was, for me it started in around 1982/3, I'd wear pastle cloured Pringle jumpers, Lacoste Polo's, Lois jeans and Adidas trainers. Then came the Italian sportswear look, Fila, Tacchini and Elesse tracksuit tops and tennis shirts, Diadora trainers etc....The mid 80's saw luxury British fashion from the likes of Burberry, Aquascutum and Daks and the end of the decade Italian denim labels like Ball, Replay, Cerutti 1881 and Fiorucci were all the rage.....

This sounds extremely similar to what I had/wore "back in the day". You know taste JPRo - I loved the differing tennis Shirts and Farrar Trousers etc and things like Pringle too, no doubts!

Comment

Yeah I did, Fila 5 bar tracksuit top, Ellesse light jacket, jeans cut at the ankle, Adidas Trim Trab/ Diadora Venice, Lacoste, Cerutti and Head tees. I went for the casual sporty look as opposed to the shirt and jumper look. Wish I'd kept my Ellesse jacket, looked great and great for spring/summer and a round collar of the theyle I still love today.

Comment

Originally posted by havasack View Post
        Yeah I did, Fila 5 bar tracksuit top, Ellesse light jacket, jeans cut at the ankle, Adidas Trim Trab/ Diadora Venice, Lacoste, Cerutti and Head tees. I went for the casual sporty look as opposed to the shirt and jumper look. Wish I'd kept my Ellesse jacket, looked great and great for spring/summer and a round collar of the theyle I still love today.

Great taste indeed havasack - I ahd most of these too as did most guys round my way at my age - it was just a continutation of wearing your Ben Sherman and Farrar's etc to Youth Club party's then uin Pubs etc at 18/19 as we did at School, but we did at School, but of course the options where way better - like in about 1997 one of the first times me and friends went to the Pub, when I wore this extremely firy and itchy Lime green Jumper (not a named 1) but a true classic indeed regardless! Thankfully Car boot sales and Shop's that sell things close to brand names but not yet totally established and not exactly known on the circuit (like X Hatch - which we are very very lucky to have around my area) and the like are re-inventing this kind of clothing (as we appear to be going through a new cycle here of fashions altering every so many years) again. For this I'll always be thankful it "keeps a small part of my youth alive"

80sChac

Comment

lacoste polo's i migt have worn but never heard of lois jeans.
          elesse stuff i wore a bit too.

some diadora stuff too i wore.
          not heard of tacchini tho or pringle jumpers.

was not big into fashion still not.

I was, for me it started in around 1982/3, I'd wear pastle cloured Pringle jumpers, Lacoste Polo's, Lois jeans and Adidas trainers. Then came the Italian sportswear look, Fila, Tacchini and Elesse tracksuit tops and tennis shirts, Diadora trainers etc....The mid 80's saw luxury British fashion from the likes of Burberry, Aquascutum and Daks and the end of the decade Italian denim labels like Ball, Replay, Cerutti 1881 and Fiorucci were all the rage.....
          Last edited by darren; 14-05-2015, 22:05.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
            lacoste polo's i migt have worn but never heard of lois jeans.
            elesse stuff i wore a bit too.

some diadora stuff too i wore.
            not heard of tacchini tho or pringle jumpers.

was not big into fashion still not.
            Tacchini is a name I've not heard of in yonks and yonks! I never owned any of their Tracksuit tops as they where about 75 pounds "back in the day", but no doubts thy where really sought after and really like up the top of a dresser's list like in Merc Bnds/Jag/Rolls Royce Car terms I found!!

I wasn't into fashion neither Darren but am now - though I was never a "Jeans man" and am not now, but when I look at some of the Tracksuits I had in the 1980s, they where well hideous indeed and I am so glad that I bnoticed this lifght there and moved onto better "dresser" Tracksuit brands like Puma kings in the middle of the 1990s - what a classic these where ... they where /and are the cult of Tracksuits in terms of dressers I found/think!\

80sChav

Comment

I wore a pink Le Shark polo shirt for a time, around 1986 I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                I did dress in my sisters skirts & high heel shoes occasionaly dare I admit it lol
                I hope you're a girl.
                LOL!

Comment

Aah...the memories.
                  Some of the older guys at my school wore the Tachini tracksuits - I especially recall the the light blue ones with white stripes. And with a pair of Adidas Gazelle as icing on the cake.
                  Anyways, I couldn't afford to buy any 'em on my meagre pocket money, but I tried my best with other garments: I remember when jeans were relatively cheap, back in the early '80s. And I had two pairs of Lois - one stonewashed! - AND a pair of indigo Levis! All with split hems, of course.

Pringle and Lyle Scott sweaters were also out of my price league, so it had to be Leo Gemelli and M&S jumpers, and my brother's "borrowed" (without permission) nylon Fred Perry coach jacket. Fortunately trainers weren't too pricey, and I remember the first branded pair I had were Nike Gangbuster in black and silver!! Oh boy... Other trainers, Nike Oceania, Adidas Rhodes, some Reebok I stopped wearing after someone said they were South African brand LOL!! Free Nelson Mandela!

I really wanted some of the Kappa / Lacoste / Lyle & Scott polo shirts, but they were too pricey.

In the early '90s I was working, so I could buy whatever I wanted, after paying bills. So I had very expensive Converse trainers. Very expensive Chambers chinos. Expensive suede shoes - Not blue LOL!

Anyway, today thanks to a site I won't name, I can buy those brands at reasonable cost.

BTW
                  Did anyone mention Benetton?
                  Last edited by agfagaevart; 15-05-2015, 13:23.

Comment

Originally posted by agfagaevart View Post
                    Aah...the memories.
                    Some of the older guys at my school wore the Tachini tracksuits - I especially recall the the light blue ones with white stripes. And with a pair of Adidas Gazelle as icing on the cake.
                    Anyways, I couldn't afford to buy any 'em on my meagre pocket money, but I tried my best with other garments: I remember when jeans were relatively cheap, back in the early '80s. And I had two pairs of Lois - one stonewashed! - AND a pair of indigo Levis! All with split hems, of course.

Pringle and Lyle Scott sweaters were also out of my price league, so it had to be Leo Gemelli and M&S jumpers, and my brother's "borrowed" (without permission) nylon Fred Perry coach jacket. Fortunately trainers weren't too pricey, and I remember the first branded pair I had were Nike Gangbuster in black and silver!! Oh boy... Other trainers, Nike Oceania, Adidas Rhodes, some Reebok I stopped wearing after someone said they were South African brand LOL!! Free Nelson Mandela!

I really wanted some of the Kappa / Lacoste / Lyle & Scott polo shirts, but they were too pricey.

In the early '90s I was working, so I could buy whatever I wanted, after paying bills. So I had very expensive Converse trainers. Very expensive Chambers chinos. Expensive suede shoes - Not blue LOL!

Anyway, today thanks to a site I won't name, I can buy those brands at reasonable cost.

BTW
                    Did anyone mention Benetton?
                    You had/have great taste here I think agfagaevart - sure wish I'd had the guts to wear a full Tachini Tracksuit to School ... we'd have been "clocked/busted" for this straight up though sadly!!!

I recall all the other makes well indeed from back in the day - especially when Marks & Sparks had a great range before their "downturn" of about 10 years in the 90s. I recall Benneton or rather to give it it's full name United Colours of Benneton very well too mate - I always always admired their range back in the day, but sadly never dared take the plunge to buy any as most seemed/appeared too snazzy a t time .... though talk of "Ottis Regrets" - that sure applies now for me regards UCOB now Lol

80sChav

Comment

Oh yes le shark i forgot about them i found out they did shoes recently..

Ive stylish clothes old eighties stuff i had bought for me.
                      Lots of italian shirts jackets etc.

I wear them rarely but i wear the casual stuff far more.
                      I just dont feel comfortable in jeans dont like how they feel on me.

I always liked wearing joe bloggs t shirts remember them.
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                        You had/have great taste here I think agfagaevart - sure wish I'd had the guts to wear a full Tachini Tracksuit to School ... we'd have been "clocked/busted" for this straight up though sadly!!!

I recall all the other makes well indeed from back in the day - especially when Marks & Sparks had a great range before their "downturn" of about 10 years in the 90s. I recall Benneton or rather to give it it's full name United Colours of Benneton very well too mate - I always always admired their range back in the day, but sadly never dared take the plunge to buy any as most seemed/appeared too snazzy a t time .... though talk of "Ottis Regrets" - that sure applies now for me regards UCOB now Lol

80sChav
                        I was in Huddersfield last week & was amused to see a Benneton shop, it's a brand that has almost vanished compaired to about 25 years ago.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by havasack View Post

Me too mate - I went for this Casual Sporty Look .. but not with Jeans though!

Or I guess at times too I mixed the 2 looks of Jumper and Shirt with the sporty one!! Did anyone else go for this "mix"!!?

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post

80sChav
                            Thanks for the very kind words!

Alas, I did something really REALLY stupid back in the 1990s, when I took most of my stuff (including lovely blue Adidas nylon tracksuit, and two pairs of hand-me-down Farah trousers one Sky Blue one Brown ) to the charity shop - Like most of us did I expect.
                            Still kick meself about that now. All I have left from that era, are about two / three jumpers / jackets.

There was a shop near me called Smart Alex, where I used to buy most of my "Bill Cosby" sweaters.
                            Last edited by agfagaevart; 19-05-2015, 13:20.

Comment

Originally posted by agfagaevart View Post
                              Thanks for the very kind words!

Alas, I did something really REALLY stupid back in the 1990s, when I took most of my stuff (including lovely blue Adidas nylon tracksuit, and two pairs of hand-me-down Farah trousers one Sky Blue one Brown ) to the charity shop - Like most of us did I expect.
                              Still kick meself about that now. All I have left from that era, are about two / three jumpers / jackets.

There was a shop near me called Smart Alex, where I used to buy most of my "Bill Cosby" sweaters.

No worries agfagaevart mate - itI wish I'd had that cammardarai, with dressing so amonst friends!

I recall the Adidas Tracksuits and Farrah trousers - especially! Dressing up t go clubbing in Farrah's, a Posh and Blazer and you'd look truly beyond smart (was what we thought) ... just like "the man from C&A" or Burton's (in their heyday). All this sure added up to being " a dresser" no doubts!!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                              X