Were You a Dresser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were You a Dresser?

I never was myself but I certainly has dresser aspirations - my mum and dad just couldn't afford all the gear I wanted.
    Dressers usually had the latest trainers - Nike/Adidas, a tracksuit top - usually Ellesse, and jeans or perhaps even Farrar or Chino trousers (I might be wrong about these though).
    I came close. Hi-tech Silver Shadow trainers and an Avanti brand tracksuit top from C&A. Don't confuse any of the above with todays Chavs because whatever Dressers are today, they're the opposite of our shell-suited friends.
    Were you a dresser?

Re: Were You a Dresser?

Like you , Jason, there wasn't the money to kit me out in the coolest gear or designer names growing up. I dressed as cheaply as possible for my first few earning years ( with horrific results ). Now Mrs. Aidan just chooses my clothes. Sensibly enough.
    Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

nope i wasn't a dresser either, and even been known to shop at Primark now........

Comment

being one of five the word handmedowns springs to mind, nowt wrong with primark oggy, lol
        Heather

Comment

Sadly,I will confess..I was and still am, quite happy in a teeshirt and jeans.
          Ive never had to wear a shirt and trousers for work (till now,start an office job on Monday!).but in 1985,when I was in full positive punk mode,I found no-one wanted to know me,as I was deemed a weirdo,who listened to weird music.One night,a friend invited me to a winebar/hangout which I knew was frequented by 'trendies",as we called them.I decided to go along,but instead of my normal black jeans,boots,bauhaus teeshirt,I wore Adidas tracksuit pants (only used up till that point for school sports) and a polo shirt I borrowed from my father. That night came away with X amount of new friends,solely because I had dressed like "them".
          For a year I frequented the same place ,wore ever more trendy gear (Lacoste,Lois,Farahs,Armani,etc) and things were fine,till I realised I could not stand the music being played wherever these types of people meet.
          also,in all the rock gigs,pubs and dives I been to before (and since),I never saw any trouble. but with the Casual crowd there would be a punch up every night.
          Still bugs me to this day that people avoid "biker" pubs,but you never see any trouble there.. A rock fan would never pick on anyone solely because of the clothes they wore,but sadly Its never been the other way around.Its ALWAYS the places with the fashion crews who can't handle the booze which always kick off.
          Young boys with too much money to blow on clothes and silly loud music systems for their sad little cars,who will try and fight you If you so much as look at them. and think this impresses the silly Tarts they hang around with.
          I soon went back to my Normal self and have never encountered trouble since. I can see where the "Chav" tag has come from,and admit,its NOT the same,but the mindless violence has always been there.
          Par for the course,I'm afraid

Rant over..but come on,I got grief for having 'different' hair in those days,but whats with the silly gay haircuts teenage boys have today??
          I laugh at them openly
          Last edited by sixtyten; 17-02-2007, 02:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Oggy View Post
            nope i wasn't a dresser either, and even been known to shop at Primark now........
            ALL HAIL PRIMARK! *bows*

Comment

no

Comment

To answer the question, eeeeeerrrrrrr no. Same as Daz, jeans an a T shirt, the only thing I will admit to being picky about was my basketball boots, I bought a pair of Hi-Tec Brooklyn's which I wore to destruction then they stopped makin em () so I had to switch Hi-Tec League's not as good and did'nt last as long. I did try the NFL Pony boots but they were ****.

Comment

Indeed I was and still am to certain degrees. You have to look nice to go to Pubs and Clubs being my moto and sadly not many do at all now - you can go in a boozer in the most horrendous clothing going dressed like you have just got up in 8 out of 10 of them.

I have always always loved the Brands like Ben Sherman, Ellese, Fred Perry, Henri Lloyd etc from being young right until this day. I guess in a way it was the old Ben Sherman Shirt that got me into - as most lads would don a Ben Sherman instead f an ordinar White one for school and I saw it one day and thought wow - just like watching Only Fools and Horses in the era - I want to be a bit yup-ified and that is what I'll do (though I have no interst in Pubs and Clubbing) anyone who adores such clothing has a connection somehow - even if it is as little as slightly un-branded shops you find today on the edge of City's and Towns that do makes like Cross Hatch etc

80sChav

Comment

I was when I was younger. I got caught up in the 70's and 80's rock and roll revival so I always dressed very well indeed and was extremely well groomed when going out. Not a single hair out of place. The hair has long gone but it still does not stop me from trying to look like a well presented peacock at times. Well how can you strut your stuff looking as if you've been dragged through the hedge backwards or just got out of bed. It's just not the done thing.

Comment

i was a sideboard

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                        I was when I was younger. I got caught up in the 70's and 80's rock and roll revival so I always dressed very well indeed and was extremely well groomed when going out. Not a single hair out of place. The hair has long gone but it still does not stop me from trying to look like a well presented peacock at times. Well how can you strut your stuff looking as if you've been dragged through the hedge backwards or just got out of bed. It's just not the done thing.

I know exactly how you mean Battyrat .... I just hope I can continue to dress as so and never ever ever dress "old fashioned" like m Dad and granddad - that'd be a travesty "thinking back with all my thoughts then when I'm in my 60s/70s (if I am lucky enough to live to such a ripe age). Dressing like so - should be something to saviour I think

80sChav

Comment

i never really was and never have been.
                          not unless im going somewhere and i have to dress up well will i do it..
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I did dress in my sisters skirts & high heel shoes occasionaly dare I admit it lol
                            sigpic
                            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I was, for me it started in around 1982/3, I'd wear pastle cloured Pringle jumpers, Lacoste Polo's, Lois jeans and Adidas trainers. Then came the Italian sportswear look, Fila, Tacchini and Elesse tracksuit tops and tennis shirts, Diadora trainers etc....The mid 80's saw luxury British fashion from the likes of Burberry, Aquascutum and Daks and the end of the decade Italian denim labels like Ball, Replay, Cerutti 1881 and Fiorucci were all the rage.....

Comment

Working...
                              X