Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Margarine

Originally posted by Arran View Post
    It's noteworthy that Stork has repositioned itself in the market as more of a baking or cake making ingredient rather than a spreading margarine.

In the 1970s to the 1990s Stork was perceived as a cheap and low-end margarine whereas people with good taste used Flora or a buttery spread if they weren't using butter.
    I can remember the cheesy 'taste test' Stork adverts with Leslie Crowther when I was a kid - this would be the late 1970s. Once the expensive polyunsatuarated and buttery spreads took off in the 1980s the likes of Stork and Blue Band would see their share of the market shrink rapidly so I suppose the brands had to be repositioned.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPsSzLnXJkg

Alice can't believe it's not butter lol
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalBall View Post
        I can remember the cheesy 'taste test' Stork adverts with Leslie Crowther when I was a kid - this would be the late 1970s. Once the expensive polyunsatuarated and buttery spreads took off in the 1980s the likes of Stork and Blue Band would see their share of the market shrink rapidly so I suppose the brands had to be repositioned.
        I'm sure that Stork has been reformulated and is not the same stuff as it was in bygone decades. Can anybody find me old packaging for both the soft and hard Stork with a legible ingredient list?

Flora has been reformulated and the original product from the 1980s contained hydrogenated oils.

Blue Band is still available but not in Britain.

https://www.unilever.com/brands/our-...band-rama.html

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
          I'm sure that Stork has been reformulated and is not the same stuff as it was in bygone decades. Can anybody find me old packaging for both the soft and hard Stork with a legible ingredient list?

Flora has been reformulated and the original product from the 1980s contained hydrogenated oils.

Blue Band is still available but not in Britain.

https://www.unilever.com/brands/our-...band-rama.html

I expect they have all been reformulated several times over the years. There was an improved version of soft Stork in tubs called Stork SB, I seem to remember. Special Blend? Soft Blend? Stork Buttery? Who knows?

Comment

Krona silver was not too bad, we had a little dish we would put the fresh block in to but if you wanted a sandwich you had to take it out the fridge about an hour before making your sandwich.

Is Stork still about? My sister hates butter so for years she would have a tub of that nasty Stork in her fridge. She only buys brown bread too so for breakfast it was brown toast with Stork. Stork toast was only slightly preferable to dry toast.

Comment

STORK SB AD.
              https://youtu.be/MR9OMEQDSMw

Originally posted by CrystalBall View Post
              I expect they have all been reformulated several times over the years. There was an improved version of soft Stork in tubs called Stork SB, I seem to remember. Special Blend? Soft Blend? Stork Buttery? Who knows?
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                Just as cheesy as I remember.

Comment

Butter, or the price of it, was a regularly occuring subject in videos and articles about Britain's membership of the EU (then Common Market) from the early 1970s. I can't recall any mentions of butter in the campaigns leading up to the EU referendum in 2016. The reverse is true for immigration.

How times have changed.

Comment

I think margarine should be pronounced with a hard G, as in Margaret.

Comment

Working...
                    X