Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Regional children's programmes on ITV after CITV

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    694

    Default Regional children's programmes on ITV after CITV

    One of the reasons for creating CITV was to standardise the broadcasting of children's programmes across Britain. Previously individual ITV companies had the autonomy to broadcast what they liked on Saturday mornings and weekday afternoons so one region could be showing one programme, another region a different programme, and so so.

    After CITV was created ITV companies would still sometimes broadcast children's programmes in their own region only. There were CITV opt outs for Gus Honeybun in TSW and Border Birthdays in Border, but how many more regional only children's programmes were there?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Christchurch uk
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Regional children's programmes on ITV after CITV

    Danielle Nicholls was one of the presenters of CITV, pre the now dedicated CITV channel; also Tommy Boyd who also co-presented Magpie (ITV's answer to the BBC's Blue Peter)

    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Christchurch uk
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Regional children's programmes on ITV after CITV

    Quote Originally Posted by Arran View Post
    After CITV was created ITV companies would still sometimes broadcast children's programmes in their own region only. There were CITV opt outs for Gus Honeybun in TSW and Border Birthdays in Border, but how many more regional only children's programmes were there?
    I remember ITV's answer to the BBC's Casualty being Children's Ward.

    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,012

    Default Re: Regional children's programmes on ITV after CITV

    Quote Originally Posted by Arran View Post
    One of the reasons for creating CITV was to standardise the broadcasting of children's programmes across Britain. Previously individual ITV companies had the autonomy to broadcast what they liked on Saturday mornings and weekday afternoons so one region could be showing one programme, another region a different programme, and so so.

    After CITV was created ITV companies would still sometimes broadcast children's programmes in their own region only. There were CITV opt outs for Gus Honeybun in TSW and Border Birthdays in Border, but how many more regional only children's programmes were there?
    Augustus J. Honeybun's wonderful programme goes back to Westward TV days
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    1,516

    Default Re: Regional children's programmes on ITV after CITV

    Quote Originally Posted by Twocky61 View Post
    Danielle Nicholls was one of the presenters of CITV
    I remember watching CITV just to see Danielle on there rather than the programmes - best thing they did putting her on there. I used to like the monthly guest continuity presenters in the 1980s - Matthew Kelly, Rod Hull and Emu, Marmalade Atkins, those sort of people.

    Mind you, I did like some of the programmes as well.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    694

    Default Re: Regional children's programmes on ITV after CITV

    Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    Augustus J. Honeybun's wonderful programme goes back to Westward TV days
    Gus Honeybun was a creation of Westward. What happened was that Westward lost the ITV franchise round in 1980 to TSW. In the summer of 1981 TSW bought up all of Westward including the TV studios, staff, programme archive, and Gus Honeybun. In January 1982 TSW appeared on screen as TSW but they continued with Gus Honeybun who a few years later appeared as an opt out when CITV was created.

Similar Threads

  1. The best children's drama on CBBC or CITV
    By Arran in forum Television
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-12-2016, 10:22
  2. another CiTV show?
    By cuddlestsheep in forum Television
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2013, 21:53
  3. BBC Regional Opt-outs
    By Richard1978 in forum Television
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-09-2011, 15:09
  4. CITV series help
    By jaygon in forum Television
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-07-2010, 19:30
  5. 90's CITV show
    By Finkledink in forum Television
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 19:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •