Regional children's programmes on ITV after CITV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regional children's programmes on ITV after CITV

One of the reasons for creating CITV was to standardise the broadcasting of children's programmes across Britain. Previously individual ITV companies had the autonomy to broadcast what they liked on Saturday mornings and weekday afternoons so one region could be showing one programme, another region a different programme, and so so.

After CITV was created ITV companies would still sometimes broadcast children's programmes in their own region only. There were CITV opt outs for Gus Honeybun in TSW and Border Birthdays in Border, but how many more regional only children's programmes were there?

Re: Regional children's programmes on ITV after CITV

Danielle Nicholls was one of the presenters of CITV, pre the now dedicated CITV channel; also Tommy Boyd who also co-presented Magpie (ITV's answer to the BBC's Blue Peter)
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
      After CITV was created ITV companies would still sometimes broadcast children's programmes in their own region only. There were CITV opt outs for Gus Honeybun in TSW and Border Birthdays in Border, but how many more regional only children's programmes were there?
      I remember ITV's answer to the BBC's Casualty being Children's Ward.
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
        One of the reasons for creating CITV was to standardise the broadcasting of children's programmes across Britain. Previously individual ITV companies had the autonomy to broadcast what they liked on Saturday mornings and weekday afternoons so one region could be showing one programme, another region a different programme, and so so.

Augustus J. Honeybun's wonderful programme goes back to Westward TV days
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
          Danielle Nicholls was one of the presenters of CITV
          I remember watching CITV just to see Danielle on there rather than the programmes - best thing they did putting her on there. I used to like the monthly guest continuity presenters in the 1980s - Matthew Kelly, Rod Hull and Emu, Marmalade Atkins, those sort of people.

Mind you, I did like some of the programmes as well.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
            Augustus J. Honeybun's wonderful programme goes back to Westward TV days
            Gus Honeybun was a creation of Westward. What happened was that Westward lost the ITV franchise round in 1980 to TSW. In the summer of 1981 TSW bought up all of Westward including the TV studios, staff, programme archive, and Gus Honeybun. In January 1982 TSW appeared on screen as TSW but they continued with Gus Honeybun who a few years later appeared as an opt out when CITV was created.

Comment

Of course, if you mean the 5.15 pm slot which was sandwiched between the end of Children's ITV and the start of News at 5.45 there were a lot of programmes there as well - some were children's series; American imports; game shows; sitcom repeats and others.

Regions such as Scottish, Granada and HTV used to show Crossroads in that slot; Blockbusters was popular in regions such as Central and Anglia; and Granada's connections was also seen there as well.

Others include Diff'rent Strokes (Central shown it on Thursdays or Fridays during the summer months); Happy Days; Welcome Back Kotter (don't remember it, but it did the regional rounds in 1981-1982); Now You See It! (Scottish TV game show with sub-Family Fortunes board); Private Benjamin (Granada had it in that slot); The Beverly Hillbillies; Vintage Quiz (TVS quiz which was also shown at 12.30 pm in some regions); Mr and Mrs, University Challenge, and Survival also turned up at 5.15 pm as well.

And then in 1988 after Crossroads ended, Winner Takes All (when Tarby left to do his Frame Game, leaving Geoffrey Wheeler in charge), was more or less networked as well. Give us a Clue (with Liza Goddard replacing Una Stubbs a the female team captain) ended up on there by August. By the 1990s, Central and Anglia had Shortland Street which I only watched because of Minnie Crozier.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Welcome Back Kotter featured a pre-Saturday Night Fever John Travolta
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I was surprised that Kotter didn't make it to Channel 4 as it would have got an officially national transmission in Britain (that's if S4C also showed it as well). I am certain that Please Sir! influenced it originally.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                    Danielle Nicholls was one of the presenters of CITV
                    She made the programmes look boring in comparison. Amazing that she was an unknown who happened to get the job in 1998.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                    X