• Show
Clear All

Re: Classic Cars

Lovely, got a couple of mk5's myself
    Originally posted by big kid View Post
    Attached Files

Comment

My first job was as an apprentice toolsetter on automatic lathes and we made engine parts for Hillman Hunters supplied in kit form to Iran. After their 1979 revolution the orders were cancelled and the factory closed a while later and I lost my job.

The owner of the garage where we go for MoTs has a 1968 Triumph Herald. Not my favourite car but nice to see it still on the road.

A previous poster mentioned a 1982 Celica. My wife has a 1991 Celica GT and I hope it will become a classic one day, though it is taking its own sweet time about doing anything about it : )

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
        My wife has a 1991 Celica GT and I hope it will become a classic one day
        sure t must be eligible for classic insurance now with it being about 26 years old.

my ex boss had a '93 celica gt4 turbo. it was epic once it got going. we used to wind him up whenever his son called round in his 3 door cossie. tried to get him to race it, but he wouldn't.

Comment

[QUOTE=staffslad;214623]My first job was as an apprentice toolsetter on automatic lathes and we made engine parts for Hillman Hunters supplied in kit form to Iran. After their 1979 revolution the orders were cancelled and the factory closed a while later and I lost my job.

Interesting.
          I couldn't give an exact date, but certainly post 1986 there was a Hunter in the - let's say 'Warwickshire area', which looked absolutely brand new. This had all the branding and badges in what I would guess to be Farsi.

Comment

Originally posted by big kid View Post
            sure t must be eligible for classic insurance now with it being about 26 years old.

my ex boss had a '93 celica gt4 turbo. it was epic once it got going. we used to wind him up whenever his son called round in his 3 door cossie. tried to get him to race it, but he wouldn't.

I hadn't thought of classic car insurance. I will have to look into that when it is due again.

A friend of ours had a GT4 but I am not sure if it was a turbo--

Comment

[QUOTE=Hair Bear;214630]
              Originally posted by staffslad View Post
              My first job was as an apprentice toolsetter on automatic lathes and we made engine parts for Hillman Hunters supplied in kit form to Iran. After their 1979 revolution the orders were cancelled and the factory closed a while later and I lost my job.

Interesting.
              I couldn't give an exact date, but certainly post 1986 there was a Hunter in the - let's say 'Warwickshire area', which looked absolutely brand new. This had all the branding and badges in what I would guess to be Farsi.

I don't think any of the Hunters were imported back into the UK officially, but I suppose it could have been a private import. This is the first time I have heard of one being seen here.

Comment

There are still plenty of Hillman Hunters on the road in Iran. All of them are just the plain Hunter model with manual gearboxes and there are no Humber Sceptre or Sunbeam Rapier variants. I think the automatic transmission on cars manufactured in Britain was made by Chrysler in the US and also used on American cars.

Body panels and mechanical parts have definitely been imported from Iran by owners Rootes Arrow cars in Britain. I'm not aware of any complete cars being imported from Iran.

Comment

Do you know when Iran stopped making Hunters? We lost our contract not long after the revolution there in 1979, and I had thought production had ceased then, making those still running around 38 years old, but perhaps they continued making them?

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                    Lovely Blue American Car
                    The Ford GT-40 was designed and built in the UK and was based on the Lola Mk6

Comment

Porsche 917K

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                        The Ford GT-40 was designed and built in the UK and was based on the Lola Mk6
                        i'm not sure, but i think amethyst may have meant the '48 tucker torpedo.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                              Porsche 917K

These were seen at their best in Le Mans, both the 24 race (winning in 1970 & 71) & the films.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

A real classic
                                Attached Files
                                Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Working...
                                X