Vintage Classic Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vintage Classic Items

Those red buckets used to contain sand. I have not seen any in the factory's I have worked at over the last 10 - 15 years thinking about it. They used to be a very common sight.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
      Those red buckets used to contain sand. I have not seen any in the factory's I have worked at over the last 10 - 15 years thinking about it. They used to be a very common sight.
      They were cool

Comment

They should have had a Smeg fridge on Red Dwarf! There's an old motel in Seattle that still has matching pink 'GE' fridges and push-button cooker stoves older than me, probably circa their 1962 World's Fair. Made to last!
        My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Looked really good quality and solid

Comment

Red Telephone Boxes

Black corded Telephones

Comment

When I stayed in a hotel in New Orleans in 2008 the room was a bit of a time capsule, complete with a kitchenette from the set of Bewitched.

Unfortunately the stove has been disconnected from the mains.
              Attached Files
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

A lawn mower that collected the grass cuttings in a box fitted on the front of the machine

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                  A lawn mower that collected the grass cuttings in a box fitted on the front of the machine
                  My father had one of these when I was a kid, he used to swear by it (mainly because it wouldn't start first go) ;0)

Although I also remember him having the later model:

Last edited by Mulletino; 02-06-2017, 08:09.

Comment

My dad had the one without the engine it was hard to push around the garden,and needed oiling to stop the stiffness

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      I think my secondary school still had these near the science labs, for putting out chemical fires.

Occasionally I see those manual fire alarms around, which are like a rotating metal bowl with a crank handle fitted to the wall.
                      Fire alarm call points with a hammer on a chain to break the glass with.

Fire alarms with bells instead of sirens.

Fire exit signs without the picture of a running man on them. Now illegal.

Comment

Classic poster from the 1970s when children had (or were expected to have) chivalry before it was all killed by game consoles and 24 hour TV channels.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post

Classic poster from the 1970s when children had (or were expected to have) chivalry before it was all killed by game consoles and 24 hour TV channels.
                          Is that from the Indian editon of the Daily Mail, or anthor paper for people who treat others like trash & still expect to have the ground under their feet worshipped in return?

Comment

Reminds me of what was more expected in my dads time as a kid in the 40's or early 50's.Makes me wonder if this poster was probably from the early 50's after India gained her independence. Even the style of drawing is something I would of expected from the 40's and 50's.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                              Reminds me of what was more expected in my dads time as a kid in the 40's or early 50's.Makes me wonder if this poster was probably from the early 50's after India gained her independence. Even the style of drawing is something I would of expected from the 40's and 50's.
                              India was an insular nation between independence and the early 1990s, when the finance minister Manmohan Singh opened it up to the rest of the world, so the everyday culture and lifestyle in India in the 1980s was barely different from that in the 1950s. Much of the printed matter in India from the 1980s also looked just like that from the 1950s because it was produced on antiquated machinery which was all that was available at the time.

Some of these posters were exported to Britain and other countries. Indian families living in Britain during the 1970s had some of the most conservative social values and moral standards which only began to change in the late 1980s when they started to make big money or enter the professional class. You would almost always find a bookshelf with O Level textbooks in the home of an Indian family in the 1970s and 80s regardless of how wealthy or poor they were. Children were only expected to receive birthday gifts that were educational such as books or geometry sets, or clothes, bikes, and sports equipment, but never anything fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                                India was an insular nation between independence and the early 1990s, when the finance minister Manmohan Singh opened it up to the rest of the world, so the everyday culture and lifestyle in India in the 1980s was barely different from that in the 1950s. Much of the printed matter in India from the 1980s also looked just like that from the 1950s because it was produced on antiquated machinery which was all that was available at the time.

Some of these posters were exported to Britain and other countries. Indian families living in Britain during the 1970s had some of the most conservative social values and moral standards which only began to change in the late 1980s when they started to make big money or enter the professional class. You would almost always find a bookshelf with O Level textbooks in the home of an Indian family in the 1970s and 80s regardless of how wealthy or poor they were. Children were only expected to receive birthday gifts that were educational such as books or geometry sets, or clothes, bikes, and sports equipment, but never anything fun.
                                I remember Goodness Gracious Me joking about children getting educational presents, like application forms for Mensa.

Comment

Working...
                                X