Footwear then but not now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Footwear then but not now

Back in the sixties ( before trainers had been invented) we wore plimsoles /pumps (black or white ) !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

All of us kids had them, even if it was just for school. I can remember being made to do a road run in them in secondary in the late 70's.Talk about sore feet. Real Road slappers and nothing to support the foot properly.

Comment

I remember wearing Creepers, they were a white pair of shoes with a buckle fastener, mum used to whiten them every few days.

Comment

I recall going through a phase of wearing the latest thing ... think they were known as 'baseball boots' / they were black with white edgings and went past the ankle .

Very similar to these ..

Last edited by Zincubus; 15-04-2018, 23:42.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
            Probably I'd hazzard at a guess that the dear old Doc Martins have slipped off the radar now, and that Converse and Vans seem to have replaced them I think!
            I am wearing a pair right now! (with my jeans rolled up to the tops - stops the jean colour coming off on the boot)

Camel Suede eight hole (i.e 16 eyes in total per boot).

Comment

Black patent leather boots .. around 1970

Comment

Probably I guess I'd hazzarda t a guess that i liked hardly any footwear from the 1970s until about 1989 - when Trainers with pumping Air came in!!

I never likd over-0sized garments in many-a-way (and shoes like so too), but i guess Doc Martens could fall into both catergory's at a push too!

Comment

Probably I guess I'd hazzarda t a guess that i liked hardly any footwear from the 1970s until about 1989 - when Trainers with pumping Air came in!!

I never likd over-0sized garments in many-a-way (and shoes like so too), but i guess Doc Martens could fall into both catergory's at a push too!
                  Trainers hadn't been invented in my youth ... we had three choices as I recall .. black pumps , white pumps or Baseball boots ..

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                    Trainers hadn't been invented in my youth ... we had three choices as I recall .. black pumps , white pumps or Baseball boots ..

Same yeah .... at least until i was 13 or 14

To think we did PE at Primary and Secondary (a bit) in those awfull Fish Smelling Pumps ..... kids today would say it was breaching their Human Rights!!!!

Comment

Same yeah .... at least until i was 13 or 14

To think we did PE at Primary and Secondary (a bit) in those awfull Fish Smelling Pumps ..... kids today would say it was breaching their Human Rights!!!!
                      I would agree with them, especially when the grips wore off the soles & you would slip around on a polished floor like an elephant on a skating rink.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I bought these last year. Retro Pods very like ones I had at school (except mine were yellow with one strap) I was surprised to hear a man who is a few years older than me say that he had a pair in the 70’s and that it wasn’t uncommon for lads to wear the sandal version then.
                        Attached Files
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Annoyingly my docs have both got split soles now..... never happened when I wore them when I was an Engineer, but it seems Office life was too much for them!

I also have a pair of Brogues (royals) that I bought when back in the UK, just like the pair I had at school (except without the quarter tips).

Comment

I am certain that my late mother used to own a pair of sandals that felt as if you were stepping on a bed of nails when worn - I think they were made by Scholl and were made to massage one's feet, although the wearer used to get the imprint of the nail pattern on the soles of their feet for quite a while afterwards!
                            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                              Annoyingly my docs have both got split soles now..... never happened when I wore them when I was an Engineer, but it seems Office life was too much for them!

I also have a pair of Brogues (royals) that I bought when back in the UK, just like the pair I had at school (except without the quarter tips).

We would (and a lo of lads was) in mega trouble wearing Doc Martins for school Mulletino mate, though yeah I always by about 18 dreamed of owning a pair and wish I had 2chanced" some for School instead of obvious Trainers - though by that tome Max griggs (of Rushden & Diamond.... great name it was I thought too - fame) was already heading towards his decline of his empire (or as he was as as in Charge) after their ill-fated 5 year spell in the Leauge and rising as high as Leauge 1 (or Division 2 in 2003)

I think though, like with Windrunners - most Trainers these Days are mor better and more acceptable - even if the material is'nt as good .... the Designs say far far more for them i feel & thnk!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                              X