Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Footwear then but not now

Default Re: Footwear then but not now

Quote Originally Posted by battyrat View Post
    What ever happened to Bumper boots. They were popular in the early to mid 70's.
    when I was a kid I had a pair of shoes that my parents called my bumpers, but they were more like trainers. A bit like converse all stars, navy canvas with white markings. Does anyone remember these?
    1976 Vintage

That sounds like them. Came in all sorts of colours but I remember red or blue mostly. White decoration and laces was common on them including a disc of rubber on the ankle. I think I wore mine to pieces. Could say they were the ancestors of modern trainers.

I remember when Kickers became fashionable with Casuals in the 80s. Before that, a girl at school used to wear them and people took the mick out of her!

I always thought they looked like shoes that fell into the category "if your mum made you wear them you'd cry".

Probably I'd hazzard at a guess that the dear old Doc Martins have slipped off the radar now, and that Converse and Vans seem to have replaced them I think!

80sChav

I still see plenty of Doc Martens around, there is a shop in Manchester that mostly stocks them.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Back in the sixties ( before trainers had been invented) we wore plimsoles /pumps (black or white ) !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All of us kids had them, even if it was just for school. I can remember being made to do a road run in them in secondary in the late 70's.Talk about sore feet. Real Road slappers and nothing to support the foot properly.

I remember wearing Creepers, they were a white pair of shoes with a buckle fastener, mum used to whiten them every few days.

Default Footwear then but not now

I recall going through a phase of wearing the latest thing ... think they were known as 'baseball boots' / they were black with white edgings and went past the ankle .

Very similar to these ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 15-04-2018 at 23:42.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sChav View Post
    Probably I'd hazzard at a guess that the dear old Doc Martins have slipped off the radar now, and that Converse and Vans seem to have replaced them I think!
    I am wearing a pair right now! (with my jeans rolled up to the tops - stops the jean colour coming off on the boot)

Camel Suede eight hole (i.e 16 eyes in total per boot).