No announcement yet.

Grange hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read that Patsy Palmer spent two years on Grange Hill..... you would nt know it , she must have just
    been there to make up the numbers !

Comment

• Grange Hill's Jackie's application to transfer to Saint Trinian's:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1ae91c12af530b02c0813bf8e8576516.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	289231
      http://www.youtube.com/v/wW6mqRyWNak

Comment

• Looking on the BNA website, I found something from the Sunday People in September 1979 about Michael Percival leaving Grange Hill - apparently, he mentioned that he left because he started to feel the same stress that real-life teachers did when they were in that job, and he said that he had felt more like a teacher than an actor, and so he left as a result, although I assume that the 1979 series had finished earlier on in that year and that it was mentioned that Percival was to leave. It mentioned that he had even broke up a fight on the London Underground between two youngsters, almost feeling as if he was in character as Tony Mitchell.

I believe that as he was previously a bit-part actor, only appearing on screen from five to ten seconds at a time, he wasn't used to appearing as a regular character as he did in Grange Hill (my local newspaper's TV guide for Wednesday 8th February 1978 even mentioned Percival in a "starring" role - unusual for someone with mostly bit-parts to their name), and the concern of being the same character for a long period time had made him decide to leave. Again, he returned to bit-part acting throughout the 1980s until the supporting role of Dexter in The Piglet Files in 1990. I know that he did some adverts in the early 1980s from what I have seen on YT: a beer advert in 1980 and a Kenco coffee advert in 1982.

Ever since I came across him on the 1993 Sunday morning repeats, I was intrigued as to what other work Michael Percival has done, and ironically, around this time, he was at the Nottingham Theatre Royal in a play that was going around the country. Great actor - sadly missed.
        Last edited by George 1978; 10-07-2023, 00:42.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• Originally posted by Victoria O'Keefe View Post
          Grange Hill's Jackie's application to transfer to Saint Trinian's:
          I believe that Rachel "Justine" Roberts did the same after she left (she seemed to be stereotyped as such women) - Paula Ann "Claire" Bland or whatever she was called certainly did for Penthouse.

It does make me think of the St Trinian's connection - schoolgirls and all that... Why do they do that, I wonder???? The acting work drying up, post GH, and the fact that they just happen to be female?

I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• As a teenage boy I found myself strangely drawn to Cathy Hargreaves and Penny Cartwright

Comment

• You'd think the dream for an actor if they want to do tv would be a regular job/role? To be cast in a continuing series or soap in other words. The 'only suitable for similar roles' thing seems to say they can't... act well enough to pull off something very different? I always loved to see when a familiar face pulled off something quite different elsewhere myself! Seen people do well in various shows then leave for that type-casting scare, rarely to appear again (and possibly end up working at a Sainsburys or Tescos if not some panto or 'reality' thing).
              My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

• Originally posted by duffer View Post
                As a teenage boy I found myself strangely drawn to Cathy Hargreaves and Penny Cartwright
                You should watch Series 4 Episode 11 with Cathy's performance of "The Black-Black Widow" or whatever it was called - she was, no pun intended, Brill by name and nature.

Funnily enough, when I was researching the "Hopwood catching Alan smoking in his desk" scene in the same episode as a tribute to the late George Armstrong who passed away earlier on this week (the obituary thread has been started today by 80sChav), I just happened to go through Cathy's singing performance a few minutes beforehand in that episode - I am sure you would love that, Duffer!
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
                  You'd think the dream for an actor if they want to do tv would be a regular job/role? To be cast in a continuing series or soap in other words. The 'only suitable for similar roles' thing seems to say they can't... act well enough to pull off something very different? I always loved to see when a familiar face pulled off something quite different elsewhere myself! Seen people do well in various shows then leave for that type-casting scare, rarely to appear again (and possibly end up working at a Sainsburys or Tescos if not some panto or 'reality' thing).
                  I think that a lot of actors fear of being stereotyped - think of Derek Nimmo who was always playing vicars and the like for example. Also, I think that it is the hard work involved, keeping the character genuine and making sure that the effort and quality remains in tact. And there are those who do it part time and probably work in a bank or a supermarket to make ends meet, and so in many ways, those actors probably don't really complain about being short of offers than others do. Or as the late Victor Lewis-Smith would have said in response for their absences on screen: "I've been working abroad a lot".
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

I believe that Rachel "Justine" Roberts did the same after she left (she seemed to be stereotyped as such women) - Paula Ann "Claire" Bland or whatever she was called certainly did for Penthouse.

It does make me think of the St Trinian's connection - schoolgirls and all that... Why do they do that, I wonder???? The acting work drying up, post GH, and the fact that they just happen to be female?
                    It's kind of irritating seeing "the kids today" complaining about women who pose for these magazines. Freedom for women must include the freedom to make poor choices or it is not freedom at all.
                    http://www.youtube.com/v/wW6mqRyWNak

Comment

Working...
                    X