Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Grange hill

Originally posted by Clare View Post
    Alan Hawkshaw did the "Countdown" theme as well, didn't he?
    I think he did.

Mind you, both Tucker and Lionel Blair were good with their gestures on screen if you know what I mean.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The 1990s GH theme reminds me of he Quantum Leap theme a bit.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
        I believe he did so Clare yer!

Ther 1990 theme was compare to the Cagney and Lacey Theme ....... though I am unsure how/why

80sChav
        I thought that as well.

The opening titles got more "grown up" as the years went on as well.

It has to be said that the 1978-1987 opening titles seemed to appeal to little boys who read the Beano or Dandy; the 1988-1989 titles seemed to appeal to teenage lads who liked science or art; and the 1990-1994 titles seemed to appeal to teenage girls who were just a couple of years away from getting married (well, three or four anyway). The demographic of the teenage girl answering her alarm clock, opening her bedroom blinds and getting out of bed as seen in the first few seconds of the early 1990s opening titles seems to be a very interesting contrast to the "comic book" opening titles that was still being used just three series prior to the anonymous theme tune that was first used in 1990 - one appealed to young boys, verses the other one that appealed to teenage girls some six or seven years older. The "seen and not heard" factor that was seen from 1978 up until the 1985 merger, as well as more conservative teachers is interesting compared to the second half of the 1980s with more liberal members of staff (Bronson excluded of course).

Could you imagine Chrissy Mainwaring's 1992 pregnancy storyline done during the Tuker/Trisha/Mr Mitchell era? I couldn't.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Clare View Post
          Alan Hawkshaw did the "Countdown" theme as well, didn't he?
          The Hawk - as his fans know him, is responsible for such a huge amount of amazing music it's almost impossible to list.
          He's a bit of a national treasure as far as i'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
            I thought that as well.

The opening titles got more "grown up" as the years went on as well.

It has to be said that the 1978-1987 opening titles seemed to appeal to little boys who read the Beano or Dandy; the 1988-1989 titles seemed to appeal to teenage lads who liked science or art; and the 1990-1994 titles seemed to appeal to teenage girls who were just a couple of years away from getting married (well, three or four anyway). The demographic of the teenage girl answering her alarm clock, opening her bedroom blinds and getting out of bed as seen in the first few seconds of the early 1990s opening titles seems to be a very interesting contrast to the "comic book" opening titles that was still being used just three series prior to the anonymous theme tune that was first used in 1990 - one appealed to young boys, verses the other one that appealed to teenage girls some six or seven years older. The "seen and not heard" factor that was seen from 1978 up until the 1985 merger, as well as more conservative teachers is interesting compared to the second half of the 1980s with more liberal members of staff (Bronson excluded of course).

Could you imagine Chrissy Mainwaring's 1992 pregnancy storyline done during the Tuker/Trisha/Mr Mitchell era? I couldn't.
            The storylines seemed to get grittier as they went along, though watching some earlier ones on repeats were quite shocking.

Comment

School uniform storylines were shocking earlier on - Trisha Yates getting three hours detention for wearing the wrong coloured socks.

I could have imagined the 1988-1989 version of Calley Donnington and how she dressed then, not being acceptable a decade before.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

School uniform storylines were shocking earlier on - Trisha Yates getting three hours detention for wearing the wrong coloured socks.

I could have imagined the 1988-1989 version of Calley Donnington and how she dressed then, not being acceptable a decade before.
                Right you are here, George it's true what you say about Trisha and Callie - though the socks Trishga had one was all the colours of the Rainbow I recall, but too in Series 8 I recall McKenzie even pulled up Gonch for wearing the wrong coloured socks, which was a subtle colour!

what often interested me the most though was that the 1990-1993 Credits madea clear refernce to loads of Kids wearing Trainers as was commonly seen previous too and loads had their ties thin (Ziggy, Robbie etc) and not many did their Top Buttons up on Shirts - which at mine you had to/or make it appear so 9and hope it was convincing) and Bronson and Mccklusky - lesser so always let that go ... I don't know why

It was not until 1990 and thena bit moire so in 1991 and particulary 1992 that Hargreaves had a vision (and granted he was way o.t.t) but not as bad as fans hgave made out i think, that the school should be run/managed properly like a Tec school or Arts/Enterprise College and through Phil Redmond's direction or whatever towards the writters - that proved "Mad Max" wa years -head of his time on reflection re Uniform and it's rules and trying to make the place self-sufficent (irrelevent of Council Cuts etc) and adding Artwork being sponsored by the likers of Mr Byatt in Series 14

80sChav

Comment

There was a brief period early on when uniforms were scrapped, but brought back after a fight where someone smashed a window with a chair.

The sixth formers always seemed to be allowed casual clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                    There was a brief period early on when uniforms were scrapped, but brought back after a fight where someone smashed a window with a chair.

The sixth formers always seemed to be allowed casual clothes.
                    Most Schools round my area had Uniforms for 6th Form to be honest, Richard. In my few months in 6th Form - it was exactly the same as Year 7 to 11;s Uniform - but you could wear either a Burgendy or Navy Jumper 9 which I still have - I think) and was far better qaulity than the navy one

Though in saying this Grange Hill had it vright probably - as it don't seem correct/right that near on Adults at 16 upto nearly 20 (give or take as some stay on at 6th Form until nearly 19 and at least 18) in that they wear the same Uniform as 11/12 Year olds I think - but I recall as part of a storyline, it required Spencer Hargreaves to wear the Year 7 to 11 Uniform for a video that was being made about GH and he made quite a fuss about this (and rightly so I think) too

80sChav

Comment

When my brother was at secondary school the 6th form had a different uniform with blazers.

By the time I had joined the school had merged with another, which became a college & took all the 6th formers.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                        Right you are here, George it's true what you say about Trisha and Callie - though the socks Trishga had one was all the colours of the Rainbow I recall, but too in Series 8 I recall McKenzie even pulled up Gonch for wearing the wrong coloured socks, which was a subtle colour!

what often interested me the most though was that the 1990-1993 Credits madea clear refernce to loads of Kids wearing Trainers as was commonly seen previous too and loads had their ties thin (Ziggy, Robbie etc) and not many did their Top Buttons up on Shirts - which at mine you had to/or make it appear so 9and hope it was convincing) and Bronson and Mccklusky - lesser so always let that go ... I don't know why

It was not until 1990 and thena bit moire so in 1991 and particulary 1992 that Hargreaves had a vision (and granted he was way o.t.t) but not as bad as fans hgave made out i think, that the school should be run/managed properly like a Tec school or Arts/Enterprise College and through Phil Redmond's direction or whatever towards the writters - that proved "Mad Max" wa years -head of his time on reflection re Uniform and it's rules and trying to make the place self-sufficent (irrelevent of Council Cuts etc) and adding Artwork being sponsored by the likers of Mr Byatt in Series 14

80sChav
                        Yes, I am certain that even some of the boys wore trainers with their uniform from the late 1980s onwards.

I know he was a boy, but it was ironic that Gonch got told off for wearing white socks, which is what the girls wore. The thing about the boys were that they could have hidden their socks under their trousers (if they were long enough) which is what the girls couldn't do while wearing skirts of course. The other irony was that Justine wore black socks in 1990 - OK, not quite Trisha flaunting school rules with her coloured socks in 1978, but it would have been interesting whether she would have got away with that a decade before - she wouldn't have got away with that pink blouse in her first year either way.

I am glad that my school didn't have a sixth form, although there was a college not far from it.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Yes, I am certain that even some of the boys wore trainers with their uniform from the late 1980s onwards.

I know he was a boy, but it was ironic that Gonch got told off for wearing white socks, which is what the girls wore. The thing about the boys were that they could have hidden their socks under their trousers (if they were long enough) which is what the girls couldn't do while wearing skirts of course. The other irony was that Justine wore black socks in 1990 - OK, not quite Trisha flaunting school rules with her coloured socks in 1978, but it would have been interesting whether she would have got away with that a decade before - she wouldn't have got away with that pink blouse in her first year either way.

I am glad that my school didn't have a sixth form, although there was a college not far from it.
                          True George - these are all good points, and as you say I am certain too about Trainers!! Mr Robson did pull Vince up about his American Football Shirt in PE in Series 11 I recall, it amazed me how Mrs McCklusky and Bronson allowed such tardyness with Uniform. Freddie often wore a Polo Shirt instead of a Shirt and often no Blazer too - which should have had him caughgt out - as did Maria but with a Jumper and Blazer mind!

The ties though likee Robbie and Ziggy having theirs thin and Trevours horrific deep Chunky effort should too have gottan Nbronson and Bridget's attention I think!!

80sChav

Comment

I Wish They Re-Showed This On Telly I Loved Watching This Growing Up. and i wish they brought it to dvd.

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

Originally posted by onthebusesfan View Post
                              I Wish They Re-Showed This On Telly I Loved Watching This Growing Up. and i wish they brought it to dvd.
                              They did bring out DVDs of the early years (first few) Onthebusesfan!!,, though the later years therte was too many songs in it that the Artists would have to paid copywright for

What era of GH are you into most/like best? Have you any fave characters?

90sChav

Comment

Originally posted by onthebusesfan View Post
                                Hopefully on a channel like GOLD (not the radio station of course) rather than the CBBC channel.

Before the Sunday morning BBC 2 repeats in 1993, didn't a satellite station such as Galaxy show the earlier series? I didn't get cable until 2000 so it was before my time.
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X