Grange hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Grange hill

Use love watching the show. It began a year after I started at secondary school. I stopped watch the show when Zammo departed.
    I also enjoyed Tucker's Luck, which was a series following the lives of Tucker Jenkins and friends after leaving school.

Comment

Speaking of the name Rodney Bennett, did you know that the name of the rival boys' school was named after a BBC TV and radio director of the same name? It seems too much of a coincidence for a fictional school to have that name, methinks...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Bennett

And I suppose that Brookdale seems rather similar to Brookside thanks to Phil Redmond...
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
        Speaking of the name Rodney Bennett, did you know that the name of the rival boys' school was named after a BBC TV and radio director of the same name? It seems too much of a coincidence for a fictional school to have that name, methinks...

And I suppose that Brookdale seems rather similar to Brookside thanks to Phil Redmond...
        I did wonder if the name was intentional.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

May-be Richard bnecause iam sure R Smedley was used (in all porobabilty) as the name of St Joes Caretaker and Ronald Smedley was a producer on GH - so it could be true, though i don't find it a conicidennce - just a play on words as so often is dune

I was just recalling the ultimate of funny incidents a few minutes back after knocking a Toilet Brush over and remembering Ziggy and Robbie in Series 10 designing Ziggy's banner for his Climb to raise money for Danny and Ziggy over-flowed the Sink in Miss Booth's Art Room with bits of play and Robbie gives him a plunger to try and clear the Sink of it and Ziggy try's to use it on the wall and promptly falls over on the allready soaking wet floor, just as Miss Booth enters ..... what a classic!

I just so wish I had had friends like Ziggy and Robbie (the ultimate kind of mates at school) and their adventures - even when Trev was moving in on the Sweepstake after Danny stole Bronson's Car - you could see them looking out for the younger years as true, true lads and mates of decent kid their characters was portrayed as

Talking of coincedences - if you watch the Penultimate ever Episode - how Tigger had that horrid dream sequence involving a bah on the Head and living in a temporary parell Universe - Tigger had his tie thin side out as was the 80s School Trend - which I found an 80s tribute to o it's heyday that will never be questioned either way now I feel, That awful Dream Sequence and Miss Rawlinson (of Hello, Hello fame) a nd aiding Tigger's recovery and herad-hock appearances as a Senior-ish teacher and her flamboyant 2 piece dresses sure made her easily one of the last most memorable characters and a decent replacement for Mr Hankin (though we never know what became of him0, but on the other side of the coin a School has big as Grange Hill can't just have only ONE Science Teacher - even if General science was the only Science taught and if dear old Geoff did survive the Fire or even returned once or twice to visit GH I can see them both getting on amazingly and having agreat cammarorie! Now imagine Geoff fancying her (though I don't know how much you knew/know her character0, but that'd be only Woman to really let Talcom Powder get up his Aunt Camiilla's Nose!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post

I was just recalling the ultimate of funny incidents a few minutes back after knocking a Toilet Brush over and remembering Ziggy and Robbie in Series 10 designing Ziggy's banner for his Climb to raise money for Danny and Ziggy over-flowed the Sink in Miss Booth's Art Room with bits of play and Robbie gives him a plunger to try and clear the Sink of it and Ziggy try's to use it on the wall and promptly falls over on the allready soaking wet floor, just as Miss Booth enters ..... what a classic!
            Series 10 episode 13 (unlucky for some indeed, although this was three episodes after Imelda's expulsion and the episode after the Barge trip).

George Christopher aka George Wilson who played Ziggy appeared on one of those "Esther" (Rantzen) talk shows on BBC 2 in the late 1990s or early 2000s in a debate about child actors (or those who had became famous at a young age), to talk about his GH experience, and they played a clip from that scene where he and Robbie are in the Art room with the blocked sink. The banner read "Ziggy Greaves Was He". [sic]

Cue Robbie (with what looks like a red pen sticking out of the back pocket of his grey trousers), using some red paint on an oversized sheet to write the message onto, and getting it on the table. Booth and Kennedy catches them both as they try to hide, and they are "invited" to clear the Art room up after school.

The same episode also shows Danny Kendall watching that Super Ted Crossing the Road PIF which ironically enough, was only seen on ITV at that point.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              I did wonder if the name was intentional.
              Probably, however when we see the Rodney Bennett school sign in the 1983 series (when Zammo and Jonah gatecrash an RB Maths class to see Jonah's cousin Jeremy) we see on the school sign that Bennett is only spelt with one T - probably a spelling error by the design or props department?

There can be deliberate de ja vu to names and addresses, sometimes ironically, or as an abstract in-joke. Back in 2016, I freeze-framed a Casualty episode on the iPlayer to where a character's fictitious name and address was briefly on screen, and it mentioned that he lived in an area called Gamston in the Edwalton part of Holby. Now, as a Nottingham person, it became more than obvious to me that they were deliberately named after areas around the suburb of West Bridgford in Nottingham - probably by some props person who was obviously local to that area. Edwalton got a couple of mentions in some Casualty episodes, although I am almost certain that the Edwalton in Nottingham is the only "real-life" place in Great Britain with that name. I have to admit that it feels really weird at times, just as much as when I see a drama or film which is filmed locally and seeing in an acting perspective - the mixture of real life and fiction is difficult to take in at times.

So you see, it gets weird when you find out that there is a "real-life" namesake of something fictitious.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Series 10 episode 13 (unlucky for some indeed, although this was three episodes after Imelda's expulsion and the episode after the Barge trip).

George Christopher aka George Wilson who played Ziggy appeared on one of those "Esther" (Rantzen) talk shows on BBC 2 in the late 1990s or early 2000s in a debate about child actors (or those who had became famous at a young age), to talk about his GH experience, and they played a clip from that scene where he and Robbie are in the Art room with the blocked sink. The banner read "Ziggy Greaves Was He". [sic]

Cue Robbie (with what looks like a red pen sticking out of the back pocket of his grey trousers), using some red paint on an oversized sheet to write the message onto, and getting it on the table. Booth and Kennedy catches them both as they try to hide, and they are "invited" to clear the Art room up after school.

The same episode also shows Danny Kendall watching that Super Ted Crossing the Road PIF which ironically enough, was only seen on ITV at that point.
                Hi George,
                An too Danny trying to insist to Freddie and Julia- it was without doubt an Educational programme/schools Prog too George! Serious though I met Johnathon La,mbert at the re-union 10 years back from this October and heis one of the most sincere guy's - actors orr not, that you could wish to meet

Talking about Danny though and how he had to go to aberdeen for Treatment in 87 - years later when the Programme was getting weaker - Emma out of Togger (Tucker's Nephew and form) had some relations in Aberdeen but tried to run away to London when GH was supposed to be in an "un-specified City" and that we was led to believe after S26 that the Liverpool Years was a continuation of the London Years - but based in any speradic City potientaly!

Talking of coincidences how Grange Hill's predossessor Waterloo Rd ran away from Rochdale to Glasgow was quite a re-run of Grange Hill's London to Liverpool leap - but though i have no time for ackley Bridge with the very talented Jo Joyner in - that must only be a matter of time before it leaves Halifax, though on the other side I can see why and appreciate as a wR fan why it migrated to Glasgow and it was realistic as Byrne (as much as an idiot as he became after the move) falling over in Boozers and having Punch- Up's with rival Teachers in them), it did make logic that he wanted to create a Boading School/Day school and far more of the cast carried them through the move than after GH S26 - though it did'nt stop Tom Clarkson doing a "Mr Robson" and leaving only 1 series in after the move!

Additionaly talking of coincidences - i don't know if it is one, but anyway I'd imagine it is alittle known fact that in all of the Books Phil wrote - eg Grange Hill after Hours etc that Susi, Chrissy and Justine was "oin the scene" through Chrissy being Freddie's youngest Sister prior to them becoming 1st Years in 88 as well as meeting Julie Marchant (or at least knowing of her - in the storylines). Add that poossibly to they i n all probability met Julia Glover 9or knew of her) and Chrissy and Justine knew Julie Corrigan but Susi missed knowing her by one Episode (as Natalie came along and stole Matthew from her, Aka Maddie ad Martin finally dating after S26) then you have a right confusing story wityh all the Julie's and and a Julia

I was very lucky to get that Book - in a cheap, cheap Charity Shop about 15 to 20 years since George - so if you had a chance t o purchase a copy do so, as in my my opnon it's better than all the others 9and as the Final one) and way better than that one based on ant Jones running away and Zammo and his Drug Issues all rolled into one Book

80sChav

Comment

Five minutes into series 13 episode 10 (which was first seen on BBC 1 at approximately 5.15 pm on Tuesday 2nd February 1990). Justine and Chrissy have gone into production into screen printing t-shirts - Matthew Pearson has ordered a personalised one from the girls, but has a bit of difficulty with the payment, and Chrissy was up half of the previous night designing it...
                  Attached Files
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

...or indeed Friday 2nd February 1990 - 2nd January was a Tuesday.

Pity I cannot edit the previous post.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Just out of the DYR era I have been re-aquainting myself with Series 27 from 2004 which I feel was arguably one of the better ones of "Grange Hill's tortued death" over it's Final 6 years.

Taylor Mitchell superbly played by Reece Noi (who also became one of the few Kelly sibblings on Waterlloo Road) paid a great tribute to Dann Kendall as rebel "without a cause" I think, even though of course Danny did have his illness in his defence and Taylr did'nt - Reece still acted the role very well and to recall his name 15 years on show's he arguably was of the last finest talents of Grange Hill has as been proved thtough his various works

I saying this though many many of that era - including Mooey, Baz and the Georgia May-Foote went onto have very good short stints in Coronation Street as well as Karen too i am fairly certain and possibly Tanya

I recall thoinking though back in 2004 with Taylor and last Teacher to have no control (in the Mr Scott/Michael Barton mold) that the guy who played Mr Green 9or Bean) as Togger called him also did play an exceptional part very very well - especially as two years on he did a replica of what Devetill did in whacking Tayor across the face like Deverill did to Hudson. Yes agreed Mr Green was no brute and did'nt hold malice and yeah Taylor pushed him - but he still went beyond moral grounds hitting a Pupil, but what a climax it was - as the "oldest 6th former in e World" Nick was in the office "nicking (pardon the pun)" or trying to nick files to get through his coursework and as Taylor had issues with him regards him racialy assating his best friend - Nick then became Taylor's only salvation in regards to Green should'nt of hit Taylor

Aftera torrid series 26 - this was a vast vast improvement made memorablr by certain segmants of good storylines I tink as was the odd ending in in '05 with annie trying to steal a Laptop from School and then moving away and only ever been seen (though not seen on Screen at Baz's Funeral) after that Another great element was Martin and Maddie finaly doing a "Ziggy and Georgina" and Martin actually quite like Maddie - until she started to think she actually owned him - but at least she stopped being horrible to him - but it'd of been nice to see a London Take on this storyline and I guess we can only imagine how that might have turned out.This was a good year-group I thought with decent characters like Baz , Karen and Taylor added in later years and Max Humphries - Mooey's brother (even though he was over the the top at times) - but poor Josh the writters wrecked his character from S26 onwatds and how he went on a French exchange Trip and never returned amnazes me!

80sChav

Comment

First seen on BBC 1 at approximately 5.29 pm on Friday 3rd February 1989 - Series 12 Episode 10.

Calley pays tribute to the late Danny Kendall by fixing a memorial plaque into the school garden, in between character credits and just before the technician credits are on screen. The episode announces Danny's death in assembly by McClusky, and there is a lack of music over the closing credits as a mark of respect. It's nice how Calley and the others had adopted him as being part of their form for nearly a series and a half when Kendall had to be kept down a year due to missing school in the 1987 series, almost like a class mascot.

(Also seen on BBC 1 also at 5.29 pm on Friday 13th October 1989 - I hope that Danny wasn't superstitious! - and around on the same channel at 10.09 am on Saturday 17th May 1997).
                        Attached Files
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

First seen on BBC 1 at approximately 5.29 pm on Friday 3rd February 1989 - Series 12 Episode 10.

Calley pays tribute to the late Danny Kendall by fixing a memorial plaque into the school garden, in between character credits and just before the technician credits are on screen. The episode announces Danny's death in assembly by McClusky, and there is a lack of music over the closing credits as a mark of respect. It's nice how Calley and the others had adopted him as being part of their form for nearly a series and a half when Kendall had to be kept down a year due to missing school in the 1987 series, almost like a class mascot.

(Also seen on BBC 1 also at 5.29 pm on Friday 13th October 1989 - I hope that Danny wasn't superstitious! - and around on the same channel at 10.09 am on Saturday 17th May 1997).
                          True George - I recall this Episode as if it was yesterday and can not believe it is 30 years since it was new

I agree about how the 5th Years (Year 11s in Today's currency accepted Danny) though Calley was'nt all that complimentry towards Danny at times and on at least one occassion she stated he had had made a "a Rod for his own back with Bronson" and that he was the one to blame not Bronco himself!

It would of been interesting how until about 1988 that Calley and Ronnie was best friends until Calley became more chummy with Helen and Georgina that when Ronnie split up with Gonch she sought salice in Danny himself and though they never went out together I could always detect Ronnie thought more of him as a boyfriend than an actual friend - if they had have gone out together I can see Calley really would have resented Ronnie for that - even more so than after Ronnie sucsessfully split up Calley and John Hunter in Series 13 over her Animal Rights campaign and the Animal House Break in. At least though (however fleetingly Ronnie and Calley made it up in Episode 2 of Series 14 with Georgina as a sort of mediator and though I can acknowldge people change Ronnie hated George's uts only 3 years back because of Imelda and Helen!

80sChav

Comment

The fat boy who played Pogo Patterson was on Pointless a few months ago along with a few others.

Comment

Originally posted by djoki View Post
                              The fat boy who played Pogo Patterson was on Pointless a few months ago along with a few others.
                              He was slim compared to Roland Browning.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I may have got it wrong roly poly sounds right

Comment

Working...
                                X