• Show
Clear All

• Re: Grange hill

Originally posted by djoki View Post
    I may have got it wrong roly poly sounds right
    Roland on the left, pogo on the right:

Comment

They look older than now than some of the teachers did back then.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
        They look older than now than some of the teachers did back then.
        Ha ha - that is true indeed George yeah, but the guy who played Pogo allmost looks like he could be a Teacher (and on the other side of the coin appears to have aged very well) I think to be fair

Comment

Five minutes into series 13 episode 10 (which was first seen on BBC 1 at approximately 5.15 pm on Tuesday 2nd February 1990). Justine and Chrissy have gone into production into screen printing t-shirts - Matthew Pearson has ordered a personalised one from the girls, but has a bit of difficulty with the payment, and Chrissy was up half of the previous night designing it...

How i would so love to be back in 1990 again George!! It seems like yesterday to me .... I was only 13 then, but on the other side of the coin after a family death and me knowing this person from 89/90 - it truiy seems a generation a-go of the 30 9nr on years) that it is presently

Saying this after it took Man Utd 26 years from 1967 to 1993 to win a Top Flight Title to compare 1990 to 29 years before-hand of 29 years as I am now (going back from 1990 to 1961) seems un-imaginable when my Mum used to tell me about all the old 60s TV Progs and compare 1961 to 1990 with 1990 to 2019 - they are vastly different I feel (as at least the Internet had mummerings in it's infancy in 1992), but vwhat about Grange Hill being born in 1978 and 11 years on until 1989 and Mr Bronson and his crusade against Danny spanning 1986 to 1989 and ant Jones in 1986), then 1986 was only 8 years off 1978 and I can not imagine how characters like Starling, Llwewyn and keating would have thought of Grange Hill Circa late 80s heading into the 1990s. That just shows how the afore 3 mentioned Teachers ruled with an Iron Rod and would not entertain even a fraction of a yard that Bronson very occasionaly gave Danny

Par Mr Robson from the Ziggy/Tegs and Matthew era right up to Maddie, Martin and later Baz and Karen after the move and lesser so Togger and Tanya - there was only old "Bullet Baxter" who saw such radical changes amongst how society changed in forms of school discipline etc (and even he only joined in 79 not 78)

Or to put it another way GH had no Head of PE between Baxter leaving in the last Episode of Series 9 (though we never knew he had left - until S10 pisode 1, to run a sports Centre and I can imagine Phil and the Team used the interlude from Series 9 to 11 to look for Baxter's replacement to go above the horrid Mrs Regan who could never have made "Head Of PE" ..... or then again was this so as had Mr Scott's character been written with the intentions of a Second Series and Robson as E3's replacement Form Tutor/Teacher just drafted in at short notice - which then lead to the amazing un-rivled statstic of Ziggy 's Form (not Helen and Georina's or at least until Robbie and Georgina joined 6th Form together) having 4 consecutve different Form Teachers from 1985 onwards - starting with the one SeasonMiss washington in 85, then Mr King who had to resign over his dalliancing with Fay (in 86) and then Scott and Robson in 1987 and 1988 to 1989 respectivley!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
            Roland on the left, pogo on the right:

The actor who plays Pogo on the right looks as if he is very assertive these days - it is a truism that we all mellow in our latter years. Mind you, if he was 12 when he first appeared in GH, then he would be in his early 50s now.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Used to have crushes on Cathy Hargreaves and Penny Cartwright.

Comment

Yes, Cathy was the one who got the cane in series 4, didn't she? One thing that we thank McClusky for when she started in the series.

Was she the reason why Alan "Hargreaves" became Alan Humphries? Deed polls, in-deed (no pun intended)...
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The actor who plays Pogo on the right looks as if he is very assertive these days - it is a truism that we all mellow in our latter years. Mind you, if he was 12 when he first appeared in GH, then he would be in his early 50s now.
                  The funniest scene was when the African girl use to keep following Roland. I use to always wonder if it was the case that she fancied him or had no one else to hang out with.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
                    The funniest scene was when the African girl use to keep following Roland. I use to always wonder if it was the case that she fancied him or had no one else to hang out with.
                    I always think of that relationship a bit like how Phyllis Pearce used to follow Percy Sugden around in Coronation Street - very similar. To be fair, I am certain that she felt sorry for him, and surely that is something positive?

Janet St Clair was African? - I am not sure about that, but I am certain that the actress was born in this country and was of West Indian origin.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

She used to say "why do you hate me Rowlaaaaaand", which was the exact phrase we kept saying to the poor ******* when we saw him at a petrol station on the way home from The Ministry of Sound once in the mid 90s, he wasn't impressed.

Comment

Rowland also fell in love with a French exchange student & tried to sneak on a ferry to follow her home.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I always think of that relationship a bit like how Phyllis Pearce used to follow Percy Sugden around in Coronation Street - very similar. To be fair, I am certain that she felt sorry for him, and surely that is something positive?

Janet St Clair was African? - I am not sure about that, but I am certain that the actress was born in this country and was of West Indian origin.
                          I didn't mean she was actually of African origin, just that her accent was from West africa

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
                            I didn't mean she was actually of African origin, just that her accent was from West africa
                            I hadn't noticed her accent myself.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                              Rowland also fell in love with a French exchange student & tried to sneak on a ferry to follow her home.
                              Her name was Fabien, Richard and Roland mentioned as late as Series 10, e asked her if she would marry him later on

I think Fabien was even in a few Episodes alongside Janet - not as they "declared" each other, as rivals for Rolly's effections!

80sChav

Comment

I don't remember much about Fabien but funnily enough she looked a bit like Miss Mooney the teacher from a few series before - Roland was speaking French all the time, probably to: A) Impress her; and B) Be prepared just in case he could move to France with her. Janet St Clair warned Roland: "you've got to start speaking English again, Roland - you can't speak French all the time".

I wonder whether the actress who played her was indeed French or the fact that she simply portrayed a French person quite well?
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X