English Villages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English Villages

It must have been great to be part of the village life.The local store,Post Office,pub,church,village green,cricket team,village hall.

Re: English Villages

No. We moved to a small village in Devon when I was 11 and I hated it.
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Love it in a village; pure community where people pass the time of day together

In your typical city like London on the tube nobody makes eye contact let alone say "Hello" to each other. Everyone is on their phones texting or surfing the internet on the likes of FaceBook or Twitter

If you say "Hello" to someone they look at you as if you are a fruitcake

Not many villages have a pub, post office or local shop nowadays as most inhabitants of villages are commuters as locals can't afford the inflated house prices

Some villages have survived though especially where the community has taken over a pub/post office/shop

So there is some light at the end of the tunnel for our villages
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I would love to be part of a village,much prefer small market towns.I hate large cities too many people and vehicles

Comment

You mean there aren't many real places like Beckindale/Emmerdale anymore... with the paddocks with ewes, white clad cricketers on the village green, picturesque ruins of an old church and a Woolpack pub with a picnic table out front? Where will the androids from outer space choose to invade first now?
          My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

The traditional English village as portrayed on TV is long dead. The city dwellers invaded the villages and pushed the house prices up. Most of the locals cannot even afford a house where they grew up especially those that still work in the area. In many of the local villages around here, what few locals are left clam up and any stranger in the area is viewed with suspicion. Local traditions disappear with the true locals to the area.

When the village post office/shop and pub goes so does the heart of the community.

I had many mates from local villages and hamlets. One was telling me the other day he did not even recognise the place he lived in for over 20 years. So sad.

Comment

Took these in the cotswolds recently, beautiful part of the country...
              Attached Files
              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I have always wanted to live in a village myself - as the council I now live under have a few of them within their patch, I suppose that it would make it a bit easier to move to somewhere like that now.
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Where I grew up, we all knew the local shops are as "the Village" it wasn't an official title or a traditional looking village like the ones in the photos above. It had a Post Office, a pub, heaps of proper shops, two newsagents, a VG, a sports shop, a hairdressers, a doctors, a dentist, a travel agent, an estate agent, a bank, a junk shop, a bakers, a butchers, a video rental place, a knitting shop, a hardware shop, a chemist, a chippy, a chinese etc. Now most of those have gone, with just the pub, doctors, a convenience store and some takeaways left, the rest are businesses.

But, the local Estate Agent had pushed to get a "Welcome to ______ Village" sign put up as you enter the area, some locals believe this is purely to bee able to hike the prices of local houses as they would then be classed as being in a "village".
                  Last edited by Mulletino; 19-07-2019, 00:39.

Comment

It used to frustrate me when I used to live under Nottingham City Council as they had no rural areas and only had urban areas, and when it became a unitary authority in 1998 it was like scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as I was concerned - you couldn't move to another council property in another council area, and no one wanted to give up their rural home via a mutual exchange and move to council estate hell.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                    X