Ian Brady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ian Brady

As a fully paid up member of Amnesty International, I am opposed to capital punishment.
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Re: ian brady

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
      8 million quid it cost to keep him alive all those years inside
      Originally posted by big kid View Post
      they should have just killed him and saved the money.
      As far as saving money goes, America has shown that the death penalty is more expensive than life imprisonment. If you want to save money you should oppose it.

Also, back when we had the death penalty it didn't apply to the mentally ill. Brady wouldn't have been hanged anyway.

also, they should cremate him and go and dump his ashes somewhere. then when his family want to know where, don't tell them. let them know what poor winnie johnson went through.
      Oh, great idea. His relatives have done no wrong, but you want to take a spiteful action designed to hurt them.

Comment

With regard to Brady and the death penalty, he wasn't diagnosed as a psychopath until 1985, when he was moved to Ashworth, having spent the previous 19 years in the mainstream prison system. At the time of his trial, my understanding is that the Judge could have sentenced him to death should that option have been open to him. Indeed, that may have been the mandatory sentence proscribed by law should it have been in effect at the time. Also, we should not confuse the death row situation in the USA today with what happened here when hanging was an option. Today, prisoners on death row in the USA can spend years, sometimes decades, awaiting execution. Here, executions were carried out relatively quickly following a guilty verdict. The last two men to hang in the UK were executed only a few weeks after their trial ended, and that time included an appeal.

Comment

Just a bit more information regarding the death penalty in the UK. In 1951, John Straffen was arrested and charged with child murder--a capital offence. At the trial, the only witness was a doctor who testified to Straffen being unfit to stand trial. Trial judge Mr Justice Oliver said, "In this country we do not try people who are insane. You might as well try a baby in arms. If a man cannot understand what is going on, he cannot be tried." Consequently, the jury returned a verdict that Straffen was unfit to plead and he was sent to Broadmoor, where he spent the rest of his life. Sadly, he later escaped and managed to kill another child during the few hours he was free. I think this illustrates that those not being competent to plead did not face execution when the death penalty was still in effect. However, Brady did face trial and was found guilty of his crimes. I would imagine that he was examined closely to attain a picture of his mental state, to ensure he was fit to stand trial. As I said earlier, he was not diagnosed as a psychopath until 1985. I don't know if the diagnosis was missed prior to his trial or if he developed his psychopathy later--not even sure if it is possible to become a psychopath later in life or if it is there at birth. However, he was treated as being mentally competent at his trial and should the death penalty have been available as an option, would probably have been hanged withina relatively short time after the verdict.

Comment

Re: ian brady

Originally posted by I. R. Fincham View Post
            Oh, great idea. His relatives have done no wrong, but you want to take a spiteful action designed to hurt them.
            their victims and the victims families had done no wrong either, yet they gave suffered, so yeah, i would take action like that.

Comment

Apparently, Brady's body has now been released to his solicitor and executor. It is also being reported that funeral directors are refusing to take the body, similar to what happened when Hindley died. The coroner said: “I wanted to have assurance that when he is cremated his ashes will not be scattered on Saddleworth Moor. I think it would be offensive.” That has to rank as one of the biggest understatements of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                Regarding capital punishment, I can't see it coming back again, though I think with modern forensics and DNA the chance of an innocent person being put to death is much lower than it was, and could be further mitigated by only having a capital sentence available to the judge under very strict circumstances, but that is probably a moot point.
                I don't usually get into a debate about capital punishment.

But, on the issue of DNA;

There is concern coming about over this. DNA at a scene of crime, does not mean that the person it came from actually done the crime. All it proves, was that a person was in the area of the crime scene.

A good example would be this:-

A boy goes to meet his girlfriend. They go for a walk. During the walk, they kiss and cuddle. His DNA is on her. Her DNA is on him. Unknown to both of them, a third person is waiting and watching. This third person has a deep interest in the girl. This third person wants her. She had rejected this third person in the past. The third person can't live without her. The third person can take no more.

The girl and boy go their separate ways until their next meeting. He does not take her to her home. She's quite happy to walk back home on her own. Perhaps she has not told her parents, perhaps they might disapprove. He watches her walk away, then turns to go home himself.

She does not arrive home that evening.

Her body is found the following morning. She has been stabbed once. The stab wound proved fatal.

It has come to light, she had a boyfriend without her parents knowledge.

They find out who he is within hours. It's on social media.

He's arrested.
                Her DNA, and fibres from her clothes are on his clothes. Vice versa.

No other DNA is found. The murder weapon is never recovered.

The boy is found guilty. DNA proved it all.

The third person.......

I think in years to come, there will be another round of wrong convictions being investigated.
                Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I remember a few years ago there was a newspaper report about one American state that was scrapping the death penalty.

One of the reasons being that too many juries were treating DNA like a "magic button" after seeing it used so often in the CSI & other scene of crime shows.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Agree completely about DNA not being the magic bullet that TV shows sometimes portray. Clearly, it has to be incorporated into other evidence that the prosecution and defence has in order to present a persuasive case to the jury. Although modern forensics and DNA can, I believe, reduce the likelihood that an innocent person would be executed, it cannot be ruled out. But as I said, I doubt very much if the death penalty will ever be reinstated here.

Comment

Working...
                    X