Liquorice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquorice

Describe any discontinued liquorice sweets.

3ft long liquorice whips. A shop near my primary school sold them along with a few others here and there in the late 1990s. Whips they were. I can remember a time when I defended myself from a school bully with one. He was in agony.

Thin liquorice sticks coated in fizzy crystals similar to the stuff on fizzy cola bottles. They came in a small bag like fizzy cola lances.

Co-Op liquorice shapes. Disappeared around 2004.

Autodrop black liquorice beetles. Small liquorice sweets in the shape of Volkswagen Beetles that tasted like ammonia. Around for a few years in the 1990s.

Mr Bellamy's Amazing Liquorice Novelties. They came in a large box and it was common for shops to sell pieces individually. I have never seen them in reality because they were probably discontinued before my time.

Re: Liquorice

There was I remember the pack of sherbert with a stick of liquorice stuck in it to did the sherbert with
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
      There was I remember the pack of sherbert with a stick of liquorice stuck in it to did the sherbert with
      Sherbert Fountain

Comment

In the 70s my parents had a card for access to a food warehouse not open to the public. Each time they would buy a big pack of mixed liquorice. Ones I remember being included:

liquorice bootlaces
        a strip of liquorice with 3 soft sweets stuck to it in different colours like traffic lights
        red liquorice firemen's hoses
        a catherine wheel with a hard sweet at the centre
        the really hard sticks that you could make liquorice juice with
        a red hollow stick with a liquorice torpedo sweet sticking out one end

Think they were made by Bassett's and had an RRP on the box of 2p per item.

Comment

I have heard stories about this mythical red liquorice that wasn't strawberry flavoured and it tasted of liquorice or aniseed. It seemed to disappear around 1990.

Even stranger was a rather thick black liquorice stick with a very thin strip of red liquorice wrapped around it in a spiral similar in appearance to a chimney with a windbreak.

Sherbet fountains and Bassetti hard liquorice sticks are still readily available.

Comment

Thinking about it, that red liquorice didn't taste much like strawberry, but I can't quite put my finger on what it was similar to. Seem to remember seeing a green-coloured liquorice a few times as well. I haven't been in a sweet shop in many years, so wasn't aware the red type was so rare nowadays.

Comment

There are sweets around that resemble liquorice sticks in a variety of colours and flavours but the red ones are strawberry flavoured. As they do not contain any liquorice then they can't really be called liquorice. I have never encountered any red liquorice that tastes of liquorice or aniseed or any hard to describe flavours.

It is possible that the mythical red liquorice came out of a Mr Bellamy's Amazing Liquorice Novelties box.

Comment

Liquorice Allsorts I only liked the pink and yellow coconut ones

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                  Liquorice Allsorts I only liked the pink and yellow coconut ones

I only liked the 5 layer black and whites.

Comment

Black Jacks like the Fruit Salads you could get in the school tuck shop

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                      There are sweets around that resemble liquorice sticks in a variety of colours and flavours but the red ones are strawberry flavoured. As they do not contain any liquorice then they can't really be called liquorice. I have never encountered any red liquorice that tastes of liquorice or aniseed or any hard to describe flavours.

It is possible that the mythical red liquorice came out of a Mr Bellamy's Amazing Liquorice Novelties box.
                      The aniseed flavoured, red liquorice was definitely from Mr Bellamy’s assortment box. I used to buy only the red from the 10’clock shop but had to get in quick because it was so popular. As a great, my husband would say I was pregnant in order to get the staff to open new boxes just for the red canes. They said that Bassett’s was taken over by Cadbury who then stopped including this in the box. Apparently, you can get aniseed flavoured red liquorice in Spain.

Comment

Looking back, the sherbert reminds me of cocaine today

I bet if you took a sherbert dab through customs nowadays, they would be suspicious lol
                        sigpic
                        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                          Looking back, the sherbert reminds me of cocaine today

I bet if you took a sherbert dab through customs nowadays, they would be suspicious lol
                          At least they have those gadgets to test samples quickly, but you might get a warning.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

You can still get some of these!

Liquorice Sticks - remember them? https://www.hswholesalesweets.co.uk/...quorice-sticks
                            Black Jacks? https://www.hswholesalesweets.co.uk/...and-black-jack
                            And what about Poor Bens? https://www.hswholesalesweets.co.uk/...lion-poor-bens

Seek and you shall find!

P.S. I only like the layered Liquorice Allsorts and the circular ones...

Comment

Have you ever been able to buy Australian Darrell Lee Soft Eating Licorice in the UK? Without sounding biased this is the best tasting licorice I have ever tasted and I have travelled extensively. DL Rocky Road is also one of my favorites.
                              Last edited by Donald the Great; 25-08-2018, 15:13.

Comment

Working...
                              X