X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What have you ate today to remind you of the 70s

Found a can of TAB back of pantry
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Cocktail sticks with cubes of cheese, pineapple, and picked onions on them. No party or buffet was complete without them. I have served these at events and it has been mentioned that they are a throwback to the 1970s.

Wasn't there a lot of boil in the bag food in the 1970s before microwaves became common? Cod in sauce is a classic that is still available but was it first sold in the 1970s or 80s?

When was Smash mashed potato really popular?

Comment

We had sausages, pineapple and cheese on sticks at my dad's 85th birthday party a few weeks ago. We always served them by sticking the ends of the sticks into an orange--sometimes the orange was covered in bacofoil.

Smash goes back to the 60s but increased in popularity thanks to those alien ads in the 70s. As for boil in bag food, I would think it was 70s or before.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
          Fish Fingers
          Fish finger sandwiches rock my socks!
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

home made apple pie.

Comment

I asked my mother about 1970s food and she says that it was the decade of less adventurous foreign food for the middle class folk.

Quiche - usually mushroom or bacon.
              Paella
              Weiner Schnitzel
              Chicken curry in a mild sauce
              Chilli con carne
              Spaghetti bolognaise
              Sweet and sour pork
              Chicken chasseur
              Chicken supreme
              Beef stroganoff

Were all common meals on the dinner table at home and popular in restaurants.

Working and lower class folk tended to stick to more traditional British fare, and didn't really get into Indian, Chinese, and Italian food until the 1980s.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                Cocktail sticks with cubes of cheese, pineapple, and picked onions on them. No party or buffet was complete without them. I have served these at events and it has been mentioned that they are a throwback to the 1970s.
                I still make these for parties, people love them and they always make people smile.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                  I still make these for parties, people love them and they always make people smile.
                  Even can add cherry tomatoes too

Comment

I agree with Arran's mum that it took time for more adventurous foreign food to become popular with all stratas of society. I remember my mum making dishes like coq au vin in the 70s, but it was looked at as something rather daring, almost an oddity, and certainly not something to eat regularly.

Of course, if you were talking about curry at home in the 70s, Vesta was your port of call. And I do feel the urge for a Vesta, not curry as I am not a fan of curry, but maybe chow mein or similar.

Comment

I'll have to have a look through my Mum's old international cookbook to see what recipes are in it.

Somehow you can still get Vesta meals, considering frozen ready meals have been round for decades.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

We used to have Spag Bol a lot in the 70s. I wasn't sure if my friends did though as they always seemed to struggle eating it when they came for dinner and we had it.

Comment

There's just something about Vesta meals that screams 1970s to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                            We used to have Spag Bol a lot in the 70s. I wasn't sure if my friends did though as they always seemed to struggle eating it when they came for dinner and we had it.
                            It's still one of my Mum's regulars for a Saturday dinner.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Pot Noodle was first sold in 1977. Pot Rice, Pot Casserole, and Pot Pasta have also existed at various times in the past.

Comment

Ice Cream in a tub

Comment

Working...
                                X