What have you ate today to remind you of the 70s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What have you ate today to remind you of the 70s

I had scampi last night, not out a basket though.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I'm vaguely aware that ice cream was available in a block wrapped in cardboard and pieces were sliced off it. There were also cones with a rectangular cross section that accomodated the slices. Was this around in the 1970s?

Wikipedia states that the Cadburys Star Bar was first sold in 1976. They are still around but never seem to have been advertised since the 1990s.

Comment

I remember my mum buying the blocks of ice cream wrapped in cardboard. The ones we had were vanilla, chocolate, neopolitan, strawberry and banana. There were depressions on the cardboard to aid in cutting the block into slices. They were about 20p for a 1 litre block. Yes, I do think the rectangular cones were sold in the 70s.

Comment

Lyons Maid ice cream - before it got taken over by Nestle then reverted to Lyons Maid - was supposed to have been popular in the 1970s. Did they make the blocks of ice cream wrapped in cardboard?

How many brands of ice cream was there in the 1970s? I don't think that Ben & Jerry's or Haagen Dazs was available back then.

Comment

Walls & Lyon's Maid seemed to be main makers of ice cream in the 1970s.

There were lots of local companies, often founded by Italian ex-pats. Stockport had Sivori & Granelli.

Comment

The blocks in cardboard we got weren't made by Lyons Maid or
              Walls. We got them from a local freezer centre and were the cheapest brand they sold. Actually, my estimate of 20p was I think a little high as both 15p and 19p keep nagging at me. Oh and there was also raspberry ripple. Maybe that was 19p and the plain ones 15p but I can't remember.

Comment

There was a chain of frozen food shops called Bejam in the 1970s that got taken over by Iceland in 1989.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bejam

Did the local ice cream companies run by Italians sell packaged ice cream or did they only run ice cream vans and shops?

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                  There was a chain of frozen food shops called Bejam in the 1970s that got taken over by Iceland in 1989.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bejam

Did the local ice cream companies run by Italians sell packaged ice cream or did they only run ice cream vans and shops?
                  The Stockport ones I mentioned used to sell ice cream in large tubs, & I think operated vans as well.

Comment

The freezer shop we used was called Cave's. I am not sure if there were any more around or if it was just in our town. There was an Iceland as a rival and it is still there, but it was viewed as being too expensive by my mum, so the cheaper Cave's was always our source for frozen food. The shop was completely crammed with chest freezers, just normal domestic ones by the look of them, and their lids were just normal white plastic, so you had to lift a lid to see what was in a freezer. I was surprised when Cave's closed and we had to use Iceland to see their freezer lids were transparent.

Comment

I don't remember any Bejams near me, but my Aunt & Uncle used to use ones near them a lot.

Farm Foods are another chain with lots of frozen food, the one near me closed recently, which is unfortunate as it was useful for buying the odd item.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        Walls & Lyon's Maid seemed to be main makers of ice cream in the 1970s.

There were lots of local companies, often founded by Italian ex-pats. Stockport had Sivori & Granelli.
                        Rossi in Southend.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                          I don't remember any Bejams near me, but my Aunt & Uncle used to use ones near them a lot.

Farm Foods are another chain with lots of frozen food, the one near me closed recently, which is unfortunate as it was useful for buying the odd item.
                          The place (actually, probably the ONLY place) to buy your frozen food in the seventies in Stocky was 'Cordon Bleau'. It's long gone now, though - it stood at the end of Prince's Street where Debenhams is now. Freezers were quite a rarity in most households until well in to the decade.

Comment

A Marathon/Snickers.

To me a Snickers tastes like Christmas. As a kid if I was buying sweets I would always buy Cadbury's. At Christmas my Gran would always get me a Mars selection box. I liked the Mars selection box because it had a pack of Opal Fruits in it which was a nice change from all the chocolate I would be eating. The Marathon in that selection box would be the only one I ate all year.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                              I'm vaguely aware that ice cream was available in a block wrapped in cardboard and pieces were sliced off it. There were also cones with a rectangular cross section that accomodated the slices. Was this around in the 1970s?

Wikipedia states that the Cadburys Star Bar was first sold in 1976. They are still around but never seem to have been advertised since the 1990s.

Do you still get a litre of ice cream in the rectangle cardboard box? Was about 15 years ago I last remember eating it. I had a pack of wafers so I would make wafer ice-cream sandwiches for me and my mates.

Star Bar is one of my Cadbury's favourites. Don't think I've ever seen them advertised. Was a peanut Boost similar? When there used to be 3 different types of Boost available I would always go for a biscuit Boost. Took me years after the other 2 stopped being sold to stop calling it a biscuit Boost and just say Boost. At the ice-cream van they would think I was mad when asking for a biscuit Boost when that was the only Boost you could get.
                              Last edited by trip2themoon; 23-10-2017, 02:29.

Comment

Shepherds Pie! Microwave job but still very reminiscent!
                                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                                X