Concorde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Concorde

It seems that as far as commercial airliners are concerned, subsonic widebody will continue its dominance for the forseeable future. I am no expert but from various articles the design and manufacture of a supersonic airliner is an order of magnitude more difficult than a subsonic widebody, which in itself is not exactly a doddle. People are used to, and expect, relatively low air fares and I can't see them being willing to pay, say, 5 or more times the cost in order to cut flight time in half, assuming supersonic flight over land was permitted. Yes, maybe some top business people and the very rich would pay, but in today's market would any manufacturer be willing to invest the truly enormous costs to bring a supersonic airliner into production, given that numbers built would still be small--20 Concordes were built, only 14 being used for commercial flights by BA and AF, and that is a woefully small number in today's market.

Comment

I believe the green was an anti corrosion coating.

Comment

Originally posted by Hair Bear View Post
        I believe the green was an anti corrosion coating.
        Oh yes, I'm sure it was
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Not sure if it is true but I thought I read somewhere that the Mach indicator in the passenger cabin was not an automatic indicator of the Concorde's speed and was actually manually adjusted by cabin crew. Again not sure if that is true or not.

Comment

PS Anyone remember that awful "Airport" film Airport'79: The Concorde or sometimes Airport '80: The Concorde. It was by far the worst of the "Airport" series imo, though a good advert for the plane.

Comment

Working...
            X