Mary Hopkin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Hopkin

Anyone else have fond memories of her early '70s music? I really love her 1971 album titled Earth Song/Ocean Song. Most people remember she took part in the Eurovision Song Contest, and her song Goodbye with Sir Paul McCartney. She started out singing in Wales; did the Byrds' (well, and Pete Seeger's) Turn Turn Turn in Welsh.

She's still recording and has had new CDs out. Just found her family website today. Lots to catch up on apparently. http://www.maryhopkin.com/index.html
    Last edited by beccabear67; 31-05-2017, 05:17. Reason: grammar
    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Re: Mary Hopkin

I liked Mary she came from Pontardawe which is in the Swansea Valley,she was really attractive pretty young lady,the song Those Were The Days which she sang in the Eurovision I think she came second Dana beat her by coming first for Ireland.With All Kinds of Everything.
    I read a few weeks back that Mary was auctioning things off from late 60,s early 70s some frocks she wore and other bits and pieces.

Comment

Those Were The Days was her breakthrough hit but her Eurovision entry was Knock Knock Who's There

Attached Files
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I liked the fashion of the early '70s, crocheted dresses and big floppy hats, really large specs and colour was allowed. Mary had a lot of really good songs throughout the '70s, there are some that i think should have been hits but I think she got really worn out for awhile by the appearing and the show-biz. I'd be the same, it definitely can be a harder road on women.
        My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
          Those Were The Days was her breakthrough hit but her Eurovision entry was Knock Knock Who's There

Oops I put the wrong song in

Comment

Yeah, I liked Mary Hopkins too.

You'll find a lot of artists from the 70's are still around today if you dig deep enough !

Comment

"a lot of artists from the 70's are still around today if you dig deep enough !"

Or indeed the 60s - I'm amazed that Iggy Pop is still with us though, as I doubt he was as clean-living as Mary Hopkin!

Comment

Mary sang Those Were The Days in many different languages, which mush have helped the Apple launch around the world.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Those were the days often goes through my mind. It seemed to get played on the radio every second record when I was a wee nipper. Good record.

Comment

I saw a picture of what she looked like today at 67,I wouldnt have recognised her with auburn hair they say she has a chateau in France somewhere.

Comment

It is a cover of an old folk song, IIRC...

Comment

I thought she was a one hit wonder tbh ..

I just remember her singing Those Were The Days ... seemingly forever ...was it number one for months or something ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                          It is a cover of an old folk song, IIRC...
                          Really !?! I thought it was a Lennon McCartney song for some reason .... maybe the label gave me that idea ??

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                            Really !?! I thought it was a Lennon McCartney song for some reason .... maybe the label gave me that idea ??

Paul McCartney did produce it IIRC.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Details here

Label:

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X