School Nativity Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Nativity Play

My first ever role in the school nativity aged 4 and a half was as the donkey. I had to wear a brown furry suit complete with ears and tail and crawl in front of Mary and Joseph. All through primary school i wanted to be an angel, but if you didn't have long blonde curly hair, you didn't get choosen.

What was your first role, i'd love to hear other peoples stories.
    "Raggy dolls, Raggy Dolls, dolls like you and me" "Raggy Dolls, Raggy Dolls, made imperfectly"

Re: School Nativity Play

Shepherd or a reader, always...

When my children were at primary school they were stars, angels, inkeepers, everything...They don't know they are born...B*stards !

Back in the 70's you could do anything and get away with it, amazing really, terrible too...
    Milo...

Comment

Well, I had long fair hair that my Mum did in ringlets, so I was *always* an angel, and I hated it. All I had to do was stand there, and join in the carols, and by the end of every rehearsal I was bored, and tired of standing for what seemed like hours, though looking back, I'm sure it wasn't that long!
      I always wanted to be something interesting - a shepherd or animal would have been fine with me.
      The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir.

Comment

I've never been in a school nativity. Oh my god, i feel so deprived.

Comment

I was a dancer and usually got some role where I had to dance. Got some serious stick of the other kids for it. Would have loved to be a sheep or even the Donkeys bum.
          sigpic
          Mrs Oggy
          ~~~*~~~*~~~
          Count your friends amongst the stars....
          And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

I did progress from a donkey to a tree!
            "Raggy dolls, Raggy Dolls, dolls like you and me" "Raggy Dolls, Raggy Dolls, made imperfectly"

Comment

This thread took my eye, as the school where I work is currently starting to put together the Christmas show - though it is unlikely to be a Nativity; probably a little concert.

But I recall the Nativities I was part of in the late sixties and early seventies. My most abiding memory is that for two years running, I was Joseph and had obviously got it into my head the part was mine!

When, the following year I was asked to play third shepherd, I was very put out indeed! lol

Comment

do school's still do Nativities then? or have they also fallen victim to multi-culturalism?
                sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                  do school's still do Nativities then? or have they also fallen victim to multi-culturalism?
                  "Victim" of multi-culturalism? And 'mad' smileys?

This is proabably not the place to get all political. But whilst Church of England and Catholic schools are almost always going to go for a traditional Nativity, I love the way non-faith, state schools, sometimes go for something else. I'm really inspired by the multi-cultural approach to celebrating that time of year.

However, it's certainly true to say that when I was in an Infant state school, things were different and a Christian agenda was kind of given.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                    "love the way non-faith, state schools, sometimes go for something else. I'm really inspired by the multi-cultural approach to celebrating that time of year.
                    Surely the whole point of celebrating that time of year is that it is Christmas, a christian festival.
                    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I suppose there is a kind of expectation that something special happens in a school at the end of the autumn term and yes, that is most often Christian connected because after all, as you say, it's Christmas! I have nothing against children learning about that and performing a Nativity.

But working in schools for the last 15 years, I've noticed that with the growing mix of faiths represented, one can also look at other celebrated festivals. The ancient marking of Midwinter comes to mind. I once did a lovely production in a school, all about the shortest day, snow, light out of darkness, etc.

Room for all, I think is the key.

(As this is a thread about childhood memories of Nativities, I'd be happy to go to the member's lounge to carry on the discussion, Herr. Not quite sure what the form is here. )
                      Last edited by Marine Boy; 17-10-2009, 22:18.

Comment

I'll copy the last posts over to the members lounge MB, otherwise I'll have tick myself off for going off topic
                        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

My last Nativity play was when I was 11. I was one of the 3 wise Kings. I made my own costume. I sellotaped gold tinsel around the edges of a flowery sheet to make a cloak, made a crown out of cardboard covered in tin foil and wore red trousers. 'Little House on the Prairie' was on tv as I sweated over the sheet and the sellotape trying to get the tinsil to stick. I can still remember my words...
                          (Me and my 'king' mates to King Herod)...'We are three kings who have come from the East, we have noticed a new star in heaven. It does not shine like the other stars but stays fixed in place over one spot in Judea'.
                          Where is the child who is born to be King of the Jews? (Herod says 'born to be what?? Then we say) 'King of the Jews, we believe he is the Messiah, the Saviour that all the world is waiting for, that is why we are here'.
                          I remember during practice when 'Mary' is told she is to be a mother and where she declares that it couldn't be so as she had never been with a man I glanced down to the front row and saw my teacher (who was an ex nun) nudging the teacher sitting next to her and sniggering. I wondered what was so funny.

Comment

I have always wondered about the casting of School Nativities and if being cast in a key role has any bearing on the eventual success or failure of an adult? Perhaps a study should be made about this. research could be done among business people, politicians, actors, sshelebrities in general. I think it could be interesting reading if a little 'Christian' orientated. Who goes on to adult success? Mary or a sheep?

To keep this on topic, I was in the nativity several times having a range of parts from A King to an Inn Keeper, never Joseph but then he does very little anyway.
                            Last edited by Grosh62; 18-09-2010, 00:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
                              Surely the whole point of celebrating that time of year is that it is Christmas, a christian festival.
                              Exactly!!In first year i played an angel and i am a guy with straight ,dark brown hair. I was obviously typecast I guess it was because i behaved myself and never talked in class.The teacher-cannot remember her name now-thought i was an angel

Comment

Working...
                              X