Sooty memories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sooty memories?

Would really like to know anyone's memories of the various shows with Sooty and Sweep, especially if you ever met them in person! Did you have any annuals or books, ceramic egg cups, glove puppets, or the toy xylophone maybe?

I think Harry Corbett who started it was brilliant, and his son Matthew was a great foil to all the furry little terrors! It's still going strong with Richard Cadell. Sadly I haven't been able to see the documentary 'Sooty Ungloved' about the whole history but there is a lot of great viewing on Youtube.
    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Re: Sooty memories?

I loved Sooty but hated Sweep he was always a bully and made those stupid noises

Comment

loved sooty when i was a kid. great show.

Comment

Apparently Sweep had been neutered hence his squeaky voice

Apparently Sooty could only whisper due to laryngitis

Sue was the only one of the three of them who could actually talk

As with Andy Pandy & Teddy Sooty & Sue spent their time together in a wicker food hamper between shows.

Also like Andy Pandy & Teddy what Sooty & Sue got up to in that wicker hamper hardly bears thinking about lol
        Last edited by Twocky61; 04-06-2017, 08:43. Reason: Spellin Witches
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I think when they introduced Sue it caused a bit of an uproar. Giving sooty a girlfriend and it was supposed to be a kids program,Disgraceful.

What ever happened to Butch and Kipper?

I don't remember having sooty toys myself but one of my cousins had Sooty and Sweep glove puppets and the Xylophone back in the early - mid 70's.Have a feeling she also had some small hard plastic figures as well. Wasn't there a set of badges issued through Kellogg's in the late 60's early part of the 70's?

Comment

I think I had a Sooty glove puppet when I was very young.

When Harry Corbett was doing the show, there were characters called Ramsbottom, a snake, and Butch, a talking dog.

In the shows I remember from the early 70s, kids from the audience could win a prize of either a Sooty, Sweep or Sue glove puppet.

Comment

My sooty memories involve crawling in our coal scuttle...
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I've read that there was an uproar about adding a girl bear, seems very silly now!

There was also an issue early on about Sooty hitting Harry on the head with a little hammer... some kid tried it on his uncle for a laugh or somesuch and it made the papers when the uncle was semi-seriously hurt. So Sooty had to start using a squirt pistol. You'd think the Dennis The Menace in the Beano would have raised similar concerns, oh well.
                My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

During the Matthew Corbett era he had a Honda van to drive them round in.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I still have my original Sooty Puppet as a kid at my parents' house, along with my brother's Sweep.

I remember going to see them "live" as a kid in the 70s, they were in a Haunted House, Spike was hiding in a chest at the bottom of the stairs, I remember being amazed that they had legs!

Comment

The rhyme that was always said when Sooty was doing a magic spell: Izzy wizzy let's get busy.

I remember Sooty clobbering Harry Corbett with a pretend hammer but must have been too young to understand the fuss it caused as I don't recall it at all.

Comment

LOVED THIS SHOW.

https://youtu.be/VvCSRfXU6IQ
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I was walking around the streets of Exeter one day when I saw the Rumbelows (yes, that long ago) were giving away free copies of a record album! Always one for a freebie, I looked closer and saw it was Around The World With Sooty:

Now, correct me if I'm stupid but wasn't Sooty a silent puppet?
                          Attached Files
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Going by other Sooty records it was harry who did all the talking, and Sweep all the squeaking.

If you see any little 7" Fontana records of Sooty in nice shape, those are the ones that are harder to find. That Around The World one turns up everywhere, they must have pressed up too many!

Comment

Remember Ramsbottom the snake with the northern accent?

Comment

Working...
                              X