Birds Eye Scoop-a-Mousse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birds Eye Scoop-a-Mousse

I've been googling this for ages. Seems as though the internet doesn't remember this any more than it seems 100% of the people outside my family don't.

It would be from around 1981 to 1985 (at least that's the period we bought it) and has now, for me at least, achieved legendary status. It was a sort of soft mousse not unlike the similarly named and more common Supermousse (also from Birds Eye) but toffee, caramel, vanilla and choc with little chunks of (apparently) biscuit, but tasted more like chunks of toffee. You kept it in the freezer and the idea was to scoop some out and let it thaw fully, but there was never the patience for that and having it just a touch more ice-cream-like was just as good.

This stuff was amazing and became the ultimate family dessert until it mysteriously vanished from the shelves, never to be seen again.
    I was beginning to think I might have imagined it; no-one else seemed ever to have heard of it. If it wasn't for the fact that my parents and brothers all remember it too I'd be doubting my sanity.

Then, just a month or so ago, an old empty Scoop-a-Mousse tub (re-purposed as a home for screws or nails or something) turned up after a house move and proved once and for all that I wasn't going mad.

So I thought I'd post a couple of pics for posterity and in hope that the universe doesn't forget this little jewel of a dessert. And maybe someone else might remember it too.
    Attached Files

Re: Birds Eye Scoop-a-Mousse

Wow, a luxury version of Supermousse!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
    X