Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When Channel 4 started.

Default Re: When Channel 4 started.

C4 introduced me to The Prisoner!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

One very disturbing show C4 commissioned was "Mini Pops"

This was in the style of the BBC's Top of the Pops

What was disturbing was the fact the girls all made up and dancing were children

Minipops was a television series broadcast in 1983 on Channel 4 in the United Kingdom. Designed primarily for younger viewers, it consisted of music performances on a brightly coloured set featuring children singing then-contemporary chart hits and older classics. The children were usually made to look like the original performers, including clothing and make up. Controversy was raised when children singing songs that often contained a subtext of adult content (in adult costumes and make-up) which led to Channel 4's commissioning editor to cancel the show after only one series.

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by beccabear67 View Post
    Anyone have any memories of when Channel 4 started? Late 1982 wasn't it? Was it exciting to have an entire new channel as well as new shows? I guess there's a political aspect to it existing at all, I wonder if any people boycotted it that didn't like Thatcher or whatever at the time.

I have an interest in the Brookside soap and how it changed over time. Also S.W.A.L.K., a show for teens connected with me pretty strongly for some reason at the time. It had this photo-comics gimmick with Prunella Scales as the advice lady appearing in a bubble to give her stereotype advice which contrasted with the reality played out in the show (like the main character's older sister getting married after becoming pregnant and moving out).

I guess it wasn't all that many years after Channel 4 launched that satellite and Sky and specialty channels came along.

When Brookside began, it was very political and the actors used to actually swear in it, because Phil Redmond wanted gritty reality. But there were loads of complaints, so all that stuff was eventually toned down. SWALK sounds familiar, Nicola Cowper starred in it I think. I also recall a similar series, Dear Heart, not sure if it was on ITV or Channel Four. The night C4 started was quite exciting as after months of build-up a brand new channel had arrived like a new baby, and the old BBC channels had lost the plot - they still have! A breath of fresh air was needed. And it was good to have another channel showing adverts! Sadly, C4 has dumbed down like most of them: Big Brother (now on 5) Hollyoaks, Googlebox etc. I hardly watch it now...

Brookside did get about us surreal in it's plots as any soaps, seems to be some sort of inherent seed in the form no matter how relatively realistic it might start off. In Brookside's case it was named for an actual close development near Liverpool they just bought up and used for the show.

I read that Channel 4 was meant to cater to minority interests somehow. I think possibly some bureaucrats wanted to say it answered complaints they'd had about (fill-in-the-blank interest) not getting coverage?

Watching some early Brookside I found on youtube. I can relate to the Lucy Collins character a bit (though we were working class), sad that the actress died young as did the lady playing her Mother.

Looked up some of the other early Channel 4 shows... The Comic Strip Presents shows were maybe the highlight, and The Tube of course... No Problem! was a Jamaican family sitcom... and The Snowman for Christmas, while The Far Pavillions was a historical drama set in India.

One of C4's ;programme in the Schools slot was 'Crip on a Trip' where a lad called Dom is in a wheelchair with a condition that stunts his growth. A group of friends take him on holiday around Europe

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Only brookside could have got away with swearing if it had been on later like say 10 o clock at night.
    I know american football nfl was shown in the first year of channel 4 and went on for many yrs gary imlach presented the show.

Quote Originally Posted by agfagaevart View Post
    when brookside began, it was very political and the actors used to actually swear in it, because phil redmond wanted gritty reality. But there were loads of complaints, so all that stuff was eventually toned down. Swalk sounds familiar, nicola cowper starred in it i think. I also recall a similar series, dear heart, not sure if it was on itv or channel four. The night c4 started was quite exciting as after months of build-up a brand new channel had arrived like a new baby, and the old bbc channels had lost the plot - they still have! A breath of fresh air was needed. And it was good to have another channel showing adverts! Sadly, c4 has dumbed down like most of them: Big brother (now on 5) hollyoaks, googlebox Etc. I hardly watch it now...
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Channel 4 starting sticks in my mind, because they had a test card up weeks before in preparation. We were going on holiday for a week and it would start broadcasting while we were away so I tuned the tv into the test card so it would be ready when we got back. We returned home to find we had been burgled and the tv was one of the things taken.

Sounded weird when virtually every announcer between progams had a geordie accent.

Being only 4 when Channel 4 started I missed out a lot of the early post watershed programming. I've heard a few times about the "Red Triangle" which was supposedly dropped because it was encouraging people to watch!

When my college was having a clear out I managed to salvage a few VHS tapes of programmes from The Open College On 4.
    The Trickster On The Roof