Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When Channel 4 started.

Default Re: When Channel 4 started.

I had forgotten all about the triangle. Yeah, if I was flipping channels and that triangle appeared, there was a temptation to keep watching to see what it was warning about.

Quote Originally Posted by beccabear67 View Post
    Anyone have any memories of when Channel 4 started? Late 1982 wasn't it? Was it exciting to have an entire new channel as well as new shows? I guess there's a political aspect to it existing at all, I wonder if any people boycotted it that didn't like Thatcher or whatever at the time.
    Why would they boycott it? Those people that didn't like Thatcher would find many shows to like on 4. It was home to The Comic Strip Presents, for a start.

The Comic Strip Presents... was very good, particularly the Famous Five parodies.

I also enjoyed the feature-length dramas they screened, my favourite being the one about a group of schoolgirls who were desperate to see Spurs play at Wembley in the F.A. Cup final in their double season. I think it was called Those Glory Glory Days. I only saw it once on its first transmission and would love to view it again.

IIRC when Channel 4 started, there was a lot of shows being repeated from the 1970s.The Six Million Dollar Man being one. Somehow, it didn't seem to be the same.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Quote Originally Posted by I. R. Fincham View Post
    Why would they boycott it? Those people that didn't like Thatcher would find many shows to like on 4. It was home to The Comic Strip Presents, for a start.
    She had an undeclared war going on with tv broadcasters, especially ITV's Thames, and Channel 4's addition was one of the first things that took place that many in the industry disliked... making for the same ad money being spread among more programmes, many of which were lower budget out-sourced and/or imported. Another was an idea to simply auction the licenses off to a highest bidder. This lead to many franchises losing their market, like Thames (they crossed her with some news programme involving a shooting incident in Gibraltar which was counter to the government's report of the incident), even after making all sorts of economies and layoffs. Later Sky was allowed to go ahead in the satellite arena without having to cover the many public service and technical requirements BSB had been made to (and this lead to them merging when BSB seemed to run through it's limit of spending slightly before Sky had and they became BSkyB). There was a movement for quality in broadcasting for a few years with Rowan Atkinson and Terry Jones involved as celebrities against some of the measure forced by Thatcher which they disagreed with.
    Last edited by beccabear67; 01-08-2017 at 03:06.

Another unusual and memorable Channel 4 show was Pob's Programme. He was a sort of meant to 'live' inside the tv set and communicate from behind the glass screen in various ways.

I think I went out with her!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Pob's Programme? never heard of it!

Mulletino knows!

Now that I've summarized Thatcher vs. ITV, and Pob, I might have an eye toward entering the yearly 'Summarize Proust' competition!

I do think Channel 4 was a good thing, opening opportunities to independent productions, giving mostly overlooked voices an airing, and showing fifty gaffers assistants with mandatory tea breaks and triple overtime aren't necessary for quality.

Now it's in the news over the airing of some Diana tapes!

Seem to remember a gay magazine programme called "One in Four" which was very ground-breaking at the time where ordinary members of the gay community discussed their everyday experiences. Seem to remember Grace Jones making an appearance. My mother was quite upset to find me watching it at the tender age of 16 !