Captain Pugwash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Pugwash

In the seventies was the kids animated show Captain Pugwash apparently with a crew who had rather suspect name

Seaman S was one as well as Roger the cabin boy (double meaning there lol) The others apparently had rude names too which would not be appropriate to name in a family forum

The producer of the series (Oliver Postgate of Clangers fame I believe wrote captain Pigwash as he did the Clangers and others) claims these names have been added replacing the real named for an adult audience
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Captain Pugwash

think it was a urban myth when we were kids. roger the cabin boy is called tom

Comment

The minimalist animation style was quite distinctive and I enjoyed the quirky nature of the show. As we had a B+W TV at the time, the episodes from the 50s and those made in the early 70s all looked the same to me.

Comment

It was just a urban myth. Snopes has a page on it http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.asp
        It even spawned a libel case.

Comment

I had a book where they had published some of the bogus 'info' about the show and had to cover it over with an opaquing sticker apologizing for being so duped. Oliver Postgate had no connection to the show, nor Peter Firmin so far as I know.
          My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
            I had a book where they had published some of the bogus 'info' about the show and had to cover it over with an opaquing sticker apologizing for being so duped. Oliver Postgate had no connection to the show, nor Peter Firmin so far as I know.
            I think there was a copy of this book at my local library, where someone had managed to peel off the sticker.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
            X