Pink Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pink Floyd

Yes, correct - apparently, he turned up in the studio during the recording but Dave Gilmour (at least) didn't recognise him!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Dave gilmour will auction 120 guitars from his personal collection at Christies auction house later this year, all proceeds will go to good causes. The auction will include the black Fender stratocaster used on many of Pink floyds biggest albums and live performances, it is expected to raise approx 100-150,000 pounds. Gilmour should be applauded for selling his precious collection most of which is close to his heart to help several charities.
      https://www.christies.com/features/D...on-9637-3.aspx
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I always respect Gilmour's work but honestly I think Roger Waters is way more ahead of Gilmour musically and lyrically

Comment

Originally posted by Albaugh33 View Post
          I always respect Gilmour's work but honestly I think Roger Waters is way more ahead of Gilmour musically and lyrically
          Yes - he assumed the bulk of the songwriting responsibilities post-Syd
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Great to see Pink Floyd reforming to support Ukraine (with the exception of Roger Waters who, with his politics as questionable as ever, has criticised what he refers to as anti-Russian propaganda).

It's a great song, courtesy of Ukrainian singer Andriy Khlyvnyuk and features some classic Gilmour guitarwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saEpkcVi1d4

Comment

Originally posted by Albaugh33 View Post

Disagree.
              Waters destroyed Floyd and then, shamefully, sued the others to try to stop them keeping the band going.
              Waters' politics have always struck me as rather distasteful, with his attacks on Israel verging on the anti-Semitic.
              When he came out in support of Putin's annexation of Crimea, I just completely gave up on him.
              Waters had soured my opinion of Pink Floyd but, thankfully, Gilmour and Mason's recent initiative in support of Ukraine, has gone a long way to restoring it!
              Gilmour's astonishing guitar work is Floyd's trademark (and doesn't come with the acrimony and unpalatable political baggage that Waters' brings).
              Last edited by Cartimand; 09-04-2022, 18:20.

Comment

Watched the Momentary Lapse of Reason concert on TV last night from 1988(?)

What a terrific set - absolutely magnificent!

Ample evidence that Floyd were as good as ever without Waters.

Comment

Just listening to Obscured By Clouds

Comment

What about Comfortably Numb? That's one of my favourites! Wish I could see them live!

Comment

I love these Lyrics
                      "
                      We don't need no education
                      We don't need no thought control
                      No dark sarcasm in the classroom
                      Teacher, leave those kids alone
                      Hey Teacher, leave those kids alone
                      "

Comment

I've been listening to Planet Rock most of the afternoon.
                        Their extended show today was all about the best guitar solos of all time, as voted for by listeners.
                        Some absolute classics in there - Led Zep, Hendrix, Deep Purple etc. but the runaway winner was Dave Gilmour's Comfortably Numb.
                        Can't really disagree with that.

Comment

Roger Waters cancels tour of Poland following outrage at his anti-Ukraine and pro-Putin comments.
                          City councillors in Kraków are expected to vote next week to name Waters as a persona non grata.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2....e-war-comments

So he's banned from Israel and (soon) Poland. At this rate, perhaps he should plan future tours for places where he would be welcome like Russia, Cuba and North Korea?

Comment

Hey, Gimpy. Leave them kids alone.

Regards, from thesaunderschild.

Comment

I remember in music school I chose Pink Floyd for a wowessay for my entrance exams. I read several books but was very impressed by "Pink Floyd All the Songs The Story Behind Every Track" by Jean-Michel Guesdon. After that, I rediscovered the band. My favorite track is "Pigs." I often play on guitar, and I can tear up. 4 out of 5 times

Comment

Originally posted by jameskauffman View Post
                                I remember in music school I chose Pink Floyd for a wowessay for my entrance exams. I read several books but was very impressed by "Pink Floyd All the Songs The Story Behind Every Track" by Jean-Michel Guesdon. After that, I rediscovered the band. My favorite track is "Pigs." I often play on guitar, and I can tear up. 4 out of 5 times
                                Thanks for the book suggestion. Will buy it definitely!

Comment

Working...
                                X