Thread: Local TV Adverts

Default Local TV Adverts

Back in the days when ITV was split up into different regions you used to get local advertising. Does anyone remember any of these? Londoners may remember a strange one for a Liquor store from around 1982 which started with a caption saying 'Freddie Barrett needs your money' before the guy himself sung 'Barrett's, Barrett's, come to Barrett's. Barrett's Liquor Mart, yeahhh!' Or how about Brentford Nylons or 'When you walk through the door, your pound's worth more. At Williams, where else?'. Post any that you remember!

Default Re: Local TV Adverts

I was living in Devon from the mid-70s till I went to Uni in the mid-80s - local adverts were dire, amateur things, mostly about farming and the like...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

I've heard there were some companies selling farming supplies that only advertised during programmes on farming.
    The Trickster On The Roof

My uncle grew up on a farm and I'm sure said something about a local channel specifically for farming, could've been cable? And who knows about advertising!

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMort View Post
    Back in the days when ITV was split up into different regions you used to get local advertising. Does anyone remember any of these? Londoners may remember a strange one for a Liquor store from around 1982 which started with a caption saying 'Freddie Barrett needs your money' before the guy himself sung 'Barrett's, Barrett's, come to Barrett's. Barrett's Liquor Mart, yeahhh!' Or how about Brentford Nylons or 'When you walk through the door, your pound's worth more. At Williams, where else?'. Post any that you remember!
    I remember ALL of those!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the Williams advert - I think it was with a singer called Pearly Gates - I've been searching for that one. Freddie Barret also used to advertise on the radio, as I recall. See one of his TV ads at the end of this break.

After some serious searching, I finally managed to find an ad for "Marley Homecare, number one in DIY." which was regional too.

thanks to recorded tv I no longer have to suffer Ads.

No, the Williams as had a lot of people talking on here... Still can't find a copy of it though...

Quote Originally Posted by Elbmek View Post
    thanks to recorded tv I no longer have to suffer Ads.
    you should be ashamed of yourself. coming on here and making a comment like that!

I'm mean...really...