Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some of my favourite lesser known horror films.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some of my favourite lesser known horror films.

The Innocents is an excellent film, full of atmosphere and genuinely scary. I would rate it as one of the best haunted house films ever made, and it is in my top 3, along with Dead of Night (1945) and The Haunting (1963). The first time I watched it was very late at night on BBC1 or 2, and after it ended I was scared to go upstairs to bed. I have seen it many times and it still unnerves me, particularly the lake scene.

Comment

INVADERS FROM MARS 1953 I LOVE THAT FILM SO MUCH.

SO ATMOSPHERIC PROB IN MY TOP 5 HORRORS EVER.

https://youtu.be/vmRY-htbjIk

ANOTHER IS MONOLITH MONSTERS WHICH IS HORROR SCI FI. 1957

https://youtu.be/5oeiaED_0WE

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
      Beach-goers being sucked into the sand in Blood Beach reminded me so much of how the aliens in Invaders from Mars (1953) kidnapped people.
      Last edited by darren; 31-07-2017, 22:15.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Agreed. I first saw it with the excellent Deborah Kerr as the governess and Megs Jenkins as housekeeper Mrs Grosse, after I left boarding school. It sent shivers down my spine then and subsequent times I gave seen it since. That to me is a sure indicator of the affectiveness of a horror movie. I have seen many television versions of Turn Of the Screw but The Innocents stands alone in my view.

Comment

Village Of The Damned
          Children Of The Damned
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Martin Stephens, who played Miles in The Innocents, was also one of the children in Village of the Damned.

Comment

I remember enjoying "Dolls" very much when it first came out to rent. I preferred it to the similar "Puppet Master", though "Dolls" didn't spawn the sequels that "Puppet Master" did.

The Egyptian vampire does sound like "Blood from the Mummy's Tomb". Peter Cushing was supposed to be in it, but had to pull out after the death of his wife.

Yeah,apparently,after his wife died he didn't want to go on living.(According to Ingrid Pitt on the commentary for "The vampire Lovers")

Comment

I read somewhere that after the death of his wife he was in such a state that he ran up and down the stairs in a bid to induce a heart attack. He also tried to ease the pain by throwing himself into his work and accepting whatever he was offered to keep busy.

Comment

Here are some of my favourites:

Demons (1985) Italian made shocker in which a group of cinemagoers, trapped inside the theatre, are infected by demons. There are lots of bloody and gooey effects as a small group try to escape...but what awaits them outside? Very fast moving and there was an inferior, but still enjoyable, sequel. Beware, there is a Demons 3: The Ogre, which has nothing to do with Demons/Demons 2, and is dreadful.
                  brilliant film, the sequel is good too.

i love 80s horrors, especially some of the more obscure ones. some of my faves include

Street Trash (1987)
                  Witchboard (1986)
                  Chopping Mall (1986)
                  Nightmare City (1980)
                  Re-Animator (1985)
                  House (1986)
                  Night of the Creeps (1986)

Comment

Fright (1971) Ian Bannen, Susan George.
                    Fear In the Night (1972) Peter Cushing, Joan Collins
                    Dark Places (1973) Christopher Lee, Robert Hardy.
                    All quality psycho thrillers.

Comment

Men behind the sun, search for it.

Comment

Ooh I've seen Men Behind The Sun. I'm taking it's the HK horror you're talking about here. All about the Japanese army committing terrible atrocities on prisoners of war during WWII. It's a nasty movie all right. The controversial scene involving a cat being thrown into a room with starving rats is horrible to watch.
                        Last edited by akb48fan; 02-08-2018, 07:20.

Comment

Thats the one, plus a real dead body was used for 1 scene and its iirc the autopsy on a young boy.

Comment

By the way the scene involving the cat being eaten alive by rats is not all it seems, the cat was soaked in honey so the rodents were simply licking it off, as a reward after the filming he was treated to a nice fish supper.

Comment

Oh really I didn't know that as according to a blog in 2008 from a Chinese website the cat and rats were actually killed on set.

Comment

I remember watching, with my cousins, a pre-cert copy of the Microwave Massacre, which they'd hired from our local newsagents. It was a black comedy/horror film about a construction worker who acquires a taste for microwaved human flesh. This causes him to go on a killing spree and he zaps the dismembered limbs from his victims in an industrial-sized microwave before wrapping them in tin-foil, then sharing the mystery meat with his unsuspecting co-workers during lunch breaks. A cult classic apparently. Anyone remember that one?

Comment

Working...
                                X