This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A trip down memory lane

My first kiss was when I was 8. Her name was Rosalie from memory and she was also 8 and lived down my street. I think I fell in love that day. Not really she moved away the following year. Wonder what became of her? Would be interesting to be able to somehow conjure up people from your past to relive those times.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post

Who ever played doctors and nurses? A wonderfully innocent introduction to the opposite sex.

Your first dog.

Your first kiss.

A few subjects we can ponder here fellars.
      Still play it, but a more popular game as a kid was spin the bottle, 4 pairs of socks, 3 pullovers,3 vests.
      My first and only dog was a mongrel which was the family pet when i was about 12-13 years old, his name was Mickey and he would come home most days soaking wet after swimming in the docks at the end of our street, he died of heart failure probably due to all the oil and diesel he consumed.
      my first kiss was with my cousin at the tender age of about 7-8 year old, i thought we would marry but she shunned me like i was nothing
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Spin the bottle was a little later for me. 4pairs of socks etc..? My first dog was an Aussie kelpie called Tammy. Whenever the Debbie Reynolds hit song Tammy was played on the radio my Tammy would howl. She contacted ring worm and died if I recall as there was no combative drug in those days.

Comment

Waiting on someone else to pick a new subject. We have plenty of years to cover.

Comment

Travelling funfairs.......
            With the plethora of theme parks we seem to have these days i was wondering if they were responsible for the decline in travelling funfairs that used to be so common up until about the 1980s. I used to love the atmosphere of these fairs, Silcocks was the most prevalent but there were many others that would travel from town to town,they would pitch on pieces of wasteland and usually were around for about a week or so. Hotdogs/candy floss and toffee apples filled the air and all you could hear was the girls screaming over a soundtrack of Buddy holly and Bill haley. Theme parks dont create the same atmosphere,are usually at least thirty miles away and are very expensive .
            The film That'll be the day which starred David essex and Ringo was great in spite of the bad acting...catch it if you can!

Comment

That is a good subject tex. I too used to enjoy the local carnival/fun fairs as a kid. My cousins and brother and I would often go together and thrill to the varied rides and exhibitions. I could never take to the Big Dipper. How about you? I still cant ride on them and we have some pretty spectaular ones on our Gold Coast. In fact Sydney boasted the worlds largest wooden rollercoaster at one stage when we had Wonderworld. I digress. Yes at these fairs there were the shooting games, win a prize if you could land a hoop around an object, throwing games where you could dunk a clown and win a prize. Also the win a prize by placing a ball down the throat of a rotating clown. Some even had the Hall of Mirrors. You would take your girl to them and kiss her in front of all the various mirrors. Gotta say my all time fave was the Dodgem Cars. Sydney is lucky to still have our own permanent fun fair.. the world famous harborside Luna Park.. (see below) based I believe on America's Coney Island.

Comment

That is a good subject tex. I too used to enjoy the local carnival/fun fairs as a kid. My cousins and brother and I would often go together and thrill to the varied rides and exhibitions. I could never take to the Big Dipper. How about you? I still cant ride on them and we have some pretty spectaular ones on our Gold Coast. In fact Sydney boasted the worlds largest wooden rollercoaster at one stage when we had Wonderworld. I digress. Yes at these fairs there were the shooting games, win a prize if you could land a hoop around an object, throwing games where you could dunk a clown and win a prize. Also the win a prize by placing a ball down the throat of a rotating clown. Some even had the Hall of Mirrors. You would take your girl to them and kiss her in front of all the various mirrors. Gotta say my all time fave was the Dodgem Cars. Sydney is lucky to still have our own permanent fun fair.. the world famous harborside Luna Park.. (see below) based I believe on America's Coney Island.

Comment

Sydney is lucky t o have her own permanent fun fair.. Luna Park based on the famous
                  Coney island in
                  America. This has just about everything for the thrill seeker and nostalgic tragic. There are some unique and amazing rides such as The Rotor (see below). It is a large, upright barrel which when rotated at 33 revolutions per minute. creates a centrifugal effect equivalent to almost 3 g. Once the barrel has attained full speed, the floor is retracted, leaving the riders stuck to the wall of the drum. At the end of the ride cycle, the drum slows down and gravity takes over. The riders slide down the wall slowly. Most Rotors were constructed with an observation deck. From my experience The Rotor is a little scary. Dont open your eyes when in motion. If you have a girl with you hold her hand. Sure to get you a big wet kiss afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                    Travelling funfairs.......
                    With the plethora of theme parks we seem to have these days i was wondering if they were responsible for the decline in travelling funfairs that used to be so common up until about the 1980s. I used to love the atmosphere of these fairs, Silcocks was the most prevalent but there were many others that would travel from town to town,they would pitch on pieces of wasteland and usually were around for about a week or so. Hotdogs/candy floss and toffee apples filled the air and all you could hear was the girls screaming over a soundtrack of Buddy holly and Bill haley. Theme parks dont create the same atmosphere,are usually at least thirty miles away and are very expensive .
                    The film That'll be the day which starred David essex and Ringo was great in spite of the bad acting...catch it if you can!
                    My home town still has one every year as part of the carnival. I only occasionally went as my parents reckoned it was too expensive & would normally save up for a day in Blackpool instead.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

A typical travelling funfair would not normally have the big white knuckle rides usually associated with theme parks, usually the waltzer would be as extreme as it got. Also dodgems, the whip, big wheel, and carousel, and then you would have the "Roll up,Rollup win a prize every time" type atractions i.e darts,hoops,hook a duck and rifle shooting.
                      Always best visited at night when everything was illuminated, i loved it all. Here is one of the trucks that would pull all this gear up and down the country..
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sydney is lucky t o have her own permanent fun fair.. Luna Park based on the famous
                        Coney island in
                        America. This has just about everything for the thrill seeker and nostalgic tragic. There are some unique and amazing rides such as The Rotor (see below). It is a large, upright barrel which when rotated at 33 revolutions per minute. creates a centrifugal effect equivalent to almost 3 g. Once the barrel has attained full speed, the floor is retracted, leaving the riders stuck to the wall of the drum. At the end of the ride cycle, the drum slows down and gravity takes over. The riders slide down the wall slowly. Most Rotors were constructed with an observation deck. From my experience The Rotor is a little scary. Dont open your eyes when in motion. If you have a girl with you hold her hand. Sure to get you a big wet kiss afterward.

Yes, they had one in the "funhouse" at Blackpool, a paper bag was always a handy thing to have

Comment

I think I must have played doctors and nurses with my cousin, who was a year younger than me. In fact, I am sure she had one of those nurse's uniforms that little girls used to wear in the 60s/70s.

My first kiss? Hmmmm...I think it was with a girl I sat by at infants school, so probably at age 8 or so. She grew up into a lovely woman and dated my next-door neighbour's brother for a while, but I don't know what became of her.

My first dog was called Bobby. I have no idea what breed he was--probably a pedigree Heinz--but I was only 4 or 5 at the time he died I remember hardly anything about him other than he was very friendly and getting lots of licks from him.

There was no fun fair anywhere near us, so I only got to go to one at the seaside on our annual holiday or very occasionally one would set up on our local park for a couple of days. I used to enjoy the ghost train and bumper-cars the most. I can remember winning a couple of goldfish at a stall and we had them for many years in one of those small circular tanks. Remember the stall with the game where you had to hook a duck? On the bottom of the duck was a number and that number denoted your prize.

Comment

Here I am explaining The Rotor in detail and you have your own in Blackpool tex.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                              I think I must have played doctors and nurses with my cousin, who was a year younger than me. In fact, I am sure she had one of those nurse's uniforms that little girls used to wear in the 60s/70s.

My first kiss? Hmmmm...I think it was with a girl I sat by at infants school, so probably at age 8 or so. She grew up into a lovely woman and dated my next-door neighbour's brother for a while, but I don't know what became of her.

My first dog was called Bobby. I have no idea what breed he was--probably a pedigree Heinz--but I was only 4 or 5 at the time he died I remember hardly anything about him other than he was very friendly and getting lots of licks from him.

There was no fun fair anywhere near us, so I only got to go to one at the seaside on our annual holiday or very occasionally one would set up on our local park for a couple of days. I used to enjoy the ghost train and bumper-cars the most. I can remember winning a couple of goldfish at a stall and we had them for many years in one of those small circular tanks. Remember the stall with the game where you had to hook a duck? On the bottom of the duck was a number and that number denoted your prize.
                              Staffs the Ghost Train was a great ride to take a girl on..specially one who scared easily. Before long she would be holding you so the boogey men did not get her.

Comment

Staffs the Ghost Train was a great ride to take a girl on..specially one who scared easily. Before long she would be holding you so the boogey men did not get her.

Too true, Donald. I went on a day-trip to the seaside with a girlfriend in the early/mid 1980s, though I'm blowed if I can remember where we went. Anyway, there was a fair there, probably semi-permanent by how it was set up and they had a haunted house that you walked through. It was really dark inside with occasional blood-curdling screams played through a speaker system, plus weird moans and groans. Every so often a door would slide open to one side or the other and a light would flash on to illuminate a scary mannequin, such as a skeleton, hanging man, guy holding a bloody axe etc. Hahaha my gf was so scared by the time we had walked all the way through.

Comment

Working...
                                X