X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A trip down memory lane

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Never heard of conkers. I was a champion marble player. Had to do something to wile away the monotony. Spent hours playing the two main games. One with two players outside a circle aiming to smash the two marbles inside the circle outside the circle. The other game I recall was flicking your marble into a hole in the centre of a dirt circle.

Jacks were fun.. A good test of hand/eye co-ordination. As we never ate chicken at the school except as a Easter treat we so had no access to the chicken carcass for the bones .. I had to ask mum to keep the bones for when she visited every month. You could also buy them but I preferred the real thing.

Another game I recall to stop us all going up the wall.. was tossing bottle caps literally against a wall. The winner was the one closest to the wall.
    Conkers was great fun ... you tie one of your nuts on the end of a piece of string and your mate does the same thing then you take it in turns to smash them together ..

It doesn't sound much like fun but you'd have to be there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• Re: A trip down memory lane

I always think of that schoolboy in the Cadbury's Fudge advert when I think of conkers.

That reminds me of pinecones - haven't seen any for years but my late mother used to hang one up with some string in the back garden and she used to say that you could tell it was going to rain because it closed up when it happened.

I knew very little about them back then.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
        Never heard of conkers. I was a champion marble player. Had to do something to wile away the monotony. Spent hours playing the two main games. One with two players outside a circle aiming to smash the two marbles inside the circle outside the circle. The other game I recall was flicking your marble into a hole in the centre of a dirt circle.
        You would have enjoyed playtimes at my Junior school - the metal grates on the playground floor was always of interest to some of us for the marble contests, and a crowd of a dozen kids surrounding them.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Someone tell me about conkers?

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
            Conkers was great fun ... you tie one of your nuts on the end of a piece of string and your mate does the same thing then you take it in turns to smash them together ..

XD Buster Gonad also springs to mind!

I remember one of our school teachers lived near a mate of mine and she had a big Horse Chestnut (conker) tree in her front garden and used to let us climb it to get the biggest ones we could find.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post

I remember one of our school teachers lived near a mate of mine and she had a big Horse Chestnut (conker) tree in her front garden and used to let us climb it to get the biggest ones we could find.

Comment

Originally posted by zincubus View Post
                conkers was great fun ... You tie one of your nuts on the end of a piece of string and your mate does the same thing then you take it in turns to smash them together ..

sent from my iphone using tapatalk pro
                lmfao
                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

BUILDING A DEN...

Another big part of childhood in Britain was to build a den, with the plethora of waste ground available in the 60s there was always lots of building materials lying around, commonly old floorboards, doors etc. You and your chosen gang would find a suitably secret area and construct your own little place to go smoke and look at nudey books, strictly no girls allowed. Tetanus jabs were optional as the rusty nails would eventually get you. Invariably a rival gang would find your den and trash it.
                  Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                    BUILDING A DEN...

Another big part of childhood in Britain was to build a den, with the plethora of waste ground available in the 60s there was always lots of building materials lying around, commonly old floorboards, doors etc. You and your chosen gang would find a suitably secret area and construct your own little place to go smoke and look at nudey books, strictly no girls allowed. Tetanus jabs were optional as the rusty nails would eventually get you. Invariably a rival gang would find your den and trash it.
                    Wow good work !!

That's triggered so many forgotten memories... I recall building dens but only around late October early November when we collected planks / old doors from the local area for our annual bonfire !!

Local gangs would either try and steal wood or even set fire to our bommie days before Nov 5th !!

Comment

It's amazing that back then it was wood that people wanted for their activities - these days its scrap metal and lead off church roofs.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

We played a variant of conkers using pencils instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post

I recently found a 1988-89 volume of The Best of Viz at a yard sale near my house.

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                            We played a variant of conkers using pencils instead.
                            You'll have to explain that

Comment

You'll have to explain that

It was called pencil fighting. You would hold out your pencil horizontally, grasping it with both hands while your opponent would take a whack at it with his pencil. Then you'd take turns until one of the pencils broke.

Comment

Ahh we did that bit with ice lolly sticks .. I'd forgotten all about that !!

Comment

Working...
                                X