X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A trip down memory lane

We couldn't afford ice cream in the cinema... :cry:
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I spent years 7-16 at a draconian boarding school. Picture nite was once a month. I have always enjoyed the movies so I tried to be on my best behaviour leading up to "flick nite" (as we called it) and not get too many demerit points. Too many of these and you missed the movie which until television came along was our only source of entertainment. The film was usually a print of an American production which had done the cinema circuit several years before. Still that did not stop any of us enjoying them. As junior students we were not permitted to buy lollies, so on picture nite my brother, who happened to be a senior prefect would slide a large gag of lollies under the seats from the senior section at the back of the picture hall to the junior section. Woe betide anyone who waylayed my sweets as he would be put on detention. The 'flick nites" at my boarding school were my introduction to the wonderful world of the movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
        My first memory of the movies was back in the sixties when I and a couple of mates would sneak into our old hometown picture theatre thru a loose wooden board. We managed to get away with it for some time until the manager finally twigged and threatened to ban us and if we did it again to tell our parents or the police. I do not recall the title of my first movie but I was a devotee of the old American serials and the Disney cartoons. We would gorge ourselves on the confectionery treats at that time. Recall the choo choo licorice bars, choc wrapped fantales with a bio of a famous movie star on the wrapper and this yummy sherbet like item that you sucked as you spun it on a string. I kid you not. Anyone else have an anecdote of their first cinema experience?
        Your tongue must have looked like it was doing the twist Donny if you sucked sherbet while it was spinning!

Comment

I spent years 7-16 at a draconian boarding school. Picture nite was once a month. I have always enjoyed the movies so I tried to be on my best behaviour leading up to "flick nite" (as we called it) and not get too many demerit points. Too many of these and you missed the movie which until television came along was our only source of entertainment. The film was usually a print of an American production which had done the cinema circuit several years before. Still that did not stop any of us enjoying them. As junior students we were not permitted to buy lollies, so on picture nite my brother, who happened to be a senior prefect would slide a large gag of lollies under the seats from the senior section at the back of the picture hall to the junior section. Woe betide anyone who waylayed my sweets as he would be put on detention. The 'flick nites" at my boarding school were my introduction to the wonderful world of the movies.
          I remember going to the cinema as a child with my parents, i can't remember what we were watching but mum told me i jumped up out of my seat and ran down to the screen trying to turn the volume down, apparently i found the music too loud!

Comment

The first film that I can clearly remember being taken to see was Help! (the Beatles film) in 1965. I would have been 3 or 4 years old and I burst out crying at the scene when some villans kidnap Ringo and lock him in the boot of a car.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuggy14 View Post
              Your tongue must have looked like it was doing the twist Donny if you sucked sherbet while it was spinning!
              Nugs you responded to my very early posts. So pleased. They were tasty as I recall and kinda fun to suck.

Comment

Nugs you responded to my very early posts. So pleased. They were tasty as I recall and kinda fun to suck.
                Yeah i do like to read the early posts

Comment

Originally posted by Nuggy14 View Post
                  Yeah i do like to read the early posts
                  You may find my School Days and Fashions posts interesting too Nugs.

Comment

[QUOTE=Donald the Great;224508]You may find my School Days and Fashions posts interesting too Nugs.

A mean looking Donald as my new avatar. Not sure what film it is from. staffslad may know off top of head.

Comment

[QUOTE=Donald the Great;224509]
                      You may find my School Days and Fashions posts interesting too Nugs.

A mean looking Donald as my new avatar. Not sure what film it is from. staffslad may know off top of head.
                      I'll have a look later! I don't like your new avatar Donny , he's unrecognisable

Comment

[QUOTE=Nuggy14;224511]

I'll have a look later! I don't like your new avatar Donny , he's unrecognisable
                        That is what made him such a fine actor. His chameleon characteristics. My new avatar is Donald in 1967 film Night of the Generals as General Klaus Kahlenberge. Sieg Heil!!!

Comment

Lets take our TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE further by talking about other things we saw, did, ate, drunk, collected in our formative years between the 70-90s. For instance where were you educated? I was forced into a boarding school when my father passed. I was still 6 and I was to spend 10 long, lonely years at this Mason-run draconian establishment. I just happen to have a video of my school which shock/horror I found online. Must have been a promotion vid at the time. Sorry about the poor quality.

https://youtu.be/SWiQA0OvKX8

Comment

This is my old school today. A wedding reception venue.

Comment

Where were you educated DYRers?

Comment

Never got further than high school and had no desire to do so, i hated school and could'nt wait to leave and get a job and earn some cash for sherbert and comics
                                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Working...
                                X