This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A trip down memory lane

First trip to the cinema i guess i was around 8-9 years old, went to "The carlton" in Manchester to see battle of the bulge with my mam, only thing i remember was the kia-ora and ice cream tub. Never watched the film since but i think it may of starred Telly savalas?
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Anyone ever do this? Billy cart racing. It was an everyday fun thing to do in the back streets of Sydney when I was growing up.

Comment

Yeah but we called them bogeys and they had much bigger wheels, great fun and plenty of cut knees and elbows, no brakes so you you would jam your foot into the road to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
          Yeah but we called them bogeys and they had much bigger wheels, great fun and plenty of cut knees and elbows, no brakes so you you would jam your foot into the road to stop.
          bogeys? I made one, rather my father did, using my old pram wheels (large) but most kids used the smaller wheels. Yes plenty of grazed knees. Wonder we did not kill ourselves. What other hobbies did you have tex?

Comment

My cousin's next-door neighbour worked at our local cinema, so my cousin and I often got in for free when she was on duty. We also would stay in the cinema and watch the film twice if we liked it. I clearly recall going to see Diamonds are Forever with him and we liked it so much that we watched it again.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
              My cousin's next-door neighbour worked at our local cinema, so my cousin and I often got in for free when she was on duty. We also would stay in the cinema and watch the film twice if we liked it. I clearly recall going to see Diamonds are Forever with him and we liked it so much that we watched it again.
              Great story staffslad. Good to see you participating.
              Did you ever go to the drive in? My cousins had a drive in about 2km from their house. Everytime they had a show on and we were visiting.. us kids would plonk ourselves on an old wooden outdoor setting in their backyard and watch the show free.. minus sound of course. Great days growing up. They pulled down the drive in about a decade ago to build apartment blocks.

Comment

Just finally on the movies. What was your confectionery of choice? Mine was the licorice Choo Choo Bar, Fantales sweets with a bio of movie stars on the wrapper. My mates and I were particularly fond of Musk Sticks as you sucked them to a point and then stuck the girls with them.

Comment

What were your hobbies growing up DYRers? These were mine.. bird egg collecting and catching Cicadas.(see pic)

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                    bogeys? I made one, rather my father did, using my old pram wheels (large) but most kids used the smaller wheels. Yes plenty of grazed knees. Wonder we did not kill ourselves. What other hobbies did you have tex?
                    Soccer usually played with a coke tin, net fishing at the local river and generally getting up to mischief, i would always arrive home covered in muck and recieve a clip round the ear from mam

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                      Diamonds are forever was the first bond film i saw as a kid (1971) this started a lifelong love of the series, the films would often be shown as double bills.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                        Soccer usually played with a coke tin, net fishing at the local river and generally getting up to mischief, i would always arrive home covered in muck and recieve a clip round the ear from mam
                        Me and a couple of mates would go Yabbie fossicking in a creek after school. If we caught some.. mum cooked them for dinner than nite.
                        This is an Australian Yabbie. A pygmy lobster is a good way to describe them.
                        Last edited by Donald the Great; 19-08-2018, 14:53.

Comment

Sliding down the local sand hills on a board was another favorite past time for us kids.

Comment

One memory i have is going to the movies with my uncle in the eighties i remember one time seeing star wars eps 4 5 and 6 back to back in a triple bill with no more than 10 mins break between them.

Must have been around 84 85.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                              Just finally on the movies. What was your confectionery of choice? Mine was the licorice Choo Choo Bar, Fantales sweets with a bio of movie stars on the wrapper. My mates and I were particularly fond of Musk Sticks as you sucked them to a point and then stuck the girls with them.
                              I don't remember us ever being allowed to have anything when we went to the cinema...
                              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                                One memory i have is going to the movies with my uncle in the eighties i remember one time seeing star wars eps 4 5 and 6 back to back in a triple bill with no more than 10 mins break between them.

Must have been around 84 85.
                                Funny you should mention that. My local cinema had a triple bill of the original Star Wars trilogy and it would also have been around that time--probably late 84 at the earliest, but more likely 85. Maybe the trilogy saw a widespread release around that time?

Comment

Working...
                                X