X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A trip down memory lane

I collected stamps for a while...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

When I was around 14 I got into cine photography. Saved up my paper round, Christmas and birthday money and bought a Sankyo Super 8 cine camera, projector and screen. I started off with silent camera and projector. When I started work I upgraded to a sound Super 8 camera, another Sankyo, and a sound projector, a Cinerex if I recall correctly. The cameras took 50 foot spools and lasted 3 mins 20 secs, and you had to take them to somewhere like Boots for processing. I am not quite sure, but I think the cost of processing was included in the price of the spool. Kodak, Agfa and Fuji were the 3 brands I saw most often, and Kodacolour 40 was the one I usually got.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
        When I was around 14 I got into cine photography. Saved up my paper round, Christmas and birthday money and bought a Sankyo Super 8 cine camera, projector and screen. I started off with silent camera and projector. When I started work I upgraded to a sound Super 8 camera, another Sankyo, and a sound projector, a Cinerex if I recall correctly. The cameras took 50 foot spools and lasted 3 mins 20 secs, and you had to take them to somewhere like Boots for processing. I am not quite sure, but I think the cost of processing was included in the price of the spool. Kodak, Agfa and Fuji were the 3 brands I saw most often, and Kodacolour 40 was the one I usually got.
        staffslad. You will not believe this but I did precisely the same thing after I left school.. my camera tho may have been a Sanyo Super 8. My first job was with a photograhic studio and as I had intended to study photography with a view to making it my career I also bought myself an expensive Nikon camera with all the latest bells and whistles. I even learned how to process all my work with a second hand processor and printer. Everything came tumbling down when my expensive Nikon camera was stolen. Quess what muggins had not insured it.
        Last edited by Donald the Great; 23-08-2018, 15:04.

Comment

I didn't really get into still photography much. Around 1982 I bought a 35mm SLR, a Practika MTL3, made in East Germany and right at the bottom end of the market, but it really didn't grab me like cine photography. I didn't really get into editing, other than splicing together various processed 50ft reels onto 200ft or 400ft spools. Video really killed it off in the mid 80s. I think my cine cameras were the Sankyo ES33 (silent) and Sankyo XL600S (sound). I had such fun with those cameras. There was a monthly magazine called Movie Maker about all aspects of cine photography that I bought for 3 or 4 years.

Comment

So what were your outdoor activities/ hobbies growing up? Did you ever go billy cart racing. The place I grew up in was semi rural with plenty of back streets.. perfect for racing these home made contraptions. Falling off onto hard gravel and grazing knees and hands tho was not much fun. Wonder we did not kill ouselves. Later on we lived near sand hills and would slide down them on old boards with a rope added for steering. Much better landing on soft sand.

Comment

My mates and I were more into exploring the woods, streams and ponds around us. We would walk for hours in those woods. Actually, there were a number of woods, but the best had the streams, ponds etc. There is also a war cemetary not too far away and we would sometimes walk there. I will add that we were always very respectful there. We would sometimes get boards and slide down hills, but we most often did that when we had snow. We may have made go-carts, but I can't remember, so it must have been only very occasionally if we did.

Comment

Wood and streams were two things not in abundance in my home town. Sounds fun as that is the sort of thing I could have done hours on end as I am a nature freak. Did you ever keep any insects or animals as pets. What did you catch in the streams/ponds?

Comment

We did have small creeks near my home so after school my best mate and I would go Yabbying. Yabbies are a small version of the lobster and are delicious.. a delicasy these days. We also used to catch the elusive Cicada, those twilling creatures that were heard at dusk after a very hot day. We then put them in an aired shoe box as pets. One of our other fun things to do was collecting birds eggs.. and come Chrissie time the Christmas Beetle.. we had a contest for the largest beetle.

Comment

We used to get quite a few bees in our garden in the summer--lots of trees and flowers--so I would often get an empty jam jar and capture one or two. I would knock a few holes into the lid so they had air, but would release them after a few hours.

A hop, skip and jump from us was--and still is--large areas of rough land with wild flowers, bushes and trees. That was a great place for grasshoppers. I would walk slowly through the tallish grass and listen to the grasshoppers. As I got closer a grasshopper would stop the noise then a second or so later jump. If I was quick enough to spot where it had landed I could sometimes catch one and put it in my jam jar for a while, but they were very quick and hard to catch.

Comment

You and I carried out similar pastimes it seems. Typical kids stuff I suppose. I did not do this but my brother did. He was a proper monster. In those days the postie delivered mail by horse and my big brother would hitch a ride with the postie on his rounds. He told the postie he had permission from mum. Another thing both of us used to do much to the chagrin of our neibors was eat the innards of a half loaf of bread left by the local baker. We would then hide and wait for the neibor to discover his bread was only a shell. Hilarious.

Comment

Have to keep posting here as it gets lost and is covered by Radio Listings.

Comment

Saturday morning pictures was a must for me , the Odeon was packed upstairs and down, programme was a educational short, a cartoon, then the true highlight the serial ,loved those American cliff-hangers, then a feature film, talking about 1961 onwards, very fond memories.

Comment

Originally posted by angliaknight View Post
                            Saturday morning pictures was a must for me , the Odeon was packed upstairs and down, programme was a educational short, a cartoon, then the true highlight the serial ,loved those American cliff-hangers, then a feature film, talking about 1961 onwards, very fond memories.
                            Yeah me too, i went to the ABC cinema every saturday morning, it was promoted as a kids cinema club and we even had a song that we were all asked to singalong to before the film.The films were usually cowboys or space themed and we would sit happily with a kia ora and a tub. I recently found out that the Beatles played a concert there in the mid 60s
                            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

ABC cinema Eccles guess this was 70s, my mum and dad went dancing twice week next door
                              Attached Files
                              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Thanks for your participation tex and angliaknight. Now our early cinema experiences have been thorouly covered any other subjects you wanna talk about?

Comment

Working...
                                X