X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A trip down memory lane

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
    That's interesting... we had both those over Manchester way ..but the buttercup glow meant you fancied the other person ..

That said I was rather popular with the girls back then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I remember the same at primary school.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Mmmmmm...the Buttercup glow and fancying the other person also rings a bell, but there was as well the likeing butter thing.

At infants school there were many trees and bushes, and I remember spending many hours of playtime and lunchtime hunting for Cuckoo spit.

Also at infants school, I remember there was a stern rule that we could not have gangs. I suppose this would have been a few years after mods and rockers, and around the time when skinhead gangs were in the news. Not sure if the teachers thought we were going to riot Brighton-style in the playground.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
        Mmmmmm...the Buttercup glow and fancying the other person also rings a bell, but there was as well the likeing butter thing.

At infants school there were many trees and bushes, and I remember spending many hours of playtime and lunchtime hunting for Cuckoo spit.

Also at infants school, I remember there was a stern rule that we could not have gangs. I suppose this would have been a few years after mods and rockers, and around the time when skinhead gangs were in the news. Not sure if the teachers thought we were going to riot Brighton-style in the playground.
        I remember a no gangs rule at primary school, which I think was to stop group bullying.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          I remember a no gangs rule at primary school, which I think was to stop group bullying.

The thing is that there were no gangs anyway at our school, and I wondered when I got older how the no-gangs rule would have been enforced. I mean, if you were with a few of your friends, would that constitute a gang? Perhaps there had been media stories at the time about bullying, but if there were, I and my friends wouldn't have seen them.

Comment

• A trip down memory lane

The thing is that there were no gangs anyway at our school, and I wondered when I got older how the no-gangs rule would have been enforced. I mean, if you were with a few of your friends, would that constitute a gang? Perhaps there had been media stories at the time about bullying, but if there were, I and my friends wouldn't have seen them.
            Oh my lord !!

That triggered a memory !

When I was my secondary school, probably (about '72 ) there was one really tough lad in our second year ( aged 13) who was the '****' of the whole school !!!

Anyways one dinner time he was strutting around the playground with his hangers on and I noticed he was wearing a metal studded belt and metal knuckle dusters !!

The rumour was that he was fighting the '****' of the neighbouring school at the end of lessons ...

3:30 came and instead of going home we saw hundreds of lads walking together across the common ... so me and a few others followed them ... think it felt kinda of exiting ...anyways after about 10 minutes walking at the rear of this 'army' we overheard that there was going to be a massive gang war between the two schools ..
            After a few nervous looks and gulps we turned tail and ran home [emoji4]

They never made it to the other school as both sets of teachers got to hear of the plan and intercepted their own pupils ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Last edited by Zincubus; 15-12-2018, 15:51.

Comment

There was a flower that you plucked the petals saying as you did.. "she loves me.. she loves me not". Most times I finished with the latter. Drat.. unlucky at love....

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                There was a flower that you plucked the petals saying as you did.. "she loves me.. she loves me not". Most times I finished with the latter. Drat.. unlucky at love....
                Buttercups again I think ..

Comment

There were always gangs in my old school. And some of the teachers in my old secondary school seemed to use some of these gangs to try to keep some sort of order and control over the rest of the pupils. That's how my memory seems to see things as an adult. Most of these gangs were formed of close friends and their relations. But it seems funny that once a person got a position in the school most of that "click" also seemed to get positions in similar roles.

Comment

Big gang mentality at my school, lots of punchups at dinnertime etc. Soft as **** when you get them alone ofcourse
                    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I remember the she loves me....she loves me not, but as for the flower, I am not sure.

Comment

Girls at primary school I can remember playing such games in summer.

Comment

"hunting cuckoo spit"? Please explain staffslad.

Comment

• A trip down memory lane

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                            "hunting cuckoo spit"? Please explain staffslad.
                            Maybe it's the same as 'frog spit' those clumps of bubbly white foam you sometimes see on blades of grass ??

Definition ~

Actually the cluster of small transparent bubbles in a whitish foam is instead caused by an insect called a spittlebug or froghopper, in the Cecropidae family (also in the newly created families Aphrophoridae and Clastopteridae), and goes by the name of frog spit, cuckoo spit or snake spit.

Last edited by Zincubus; 19-12-2018, 11:07.

Comment

Don't think I could have explained it any better. How it got the name Cuckoo spit I don't know, and I wonder if kids today would even know what was meant by looking for it. Maybe if there was a phone app called Virtual Cuckoo Spit Hunter then they might show interest, but I fear we are creating a zombie generation addicted to the tiny world of their phone screen rather than exploring the real world.

Comment

We used to go looking for hairy marys .....Oh stop it!!
                                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Working...
                                X