This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A trip down memory lane

No I have never been very cyber savy. I had a walkman..ha ha.

Comment

Yup, Home Computers were my main interest, gaming still is.

I had:

ZX Spectrum 48K
      Commodore 128
      Amiga 500 (which I later upgraded to 1MB chip ram)
      Amiga 1200

Then onto PCs.

Later in I started collecting old computers again and got:

Amstrad CPC464
      Atari 400
      Commodore 64
      Commodore 128D
      Amiga 1200 again (with accelerated 030)
      Amiga CD32 (but that's venturing into Console territory which is the course i am still on).

Unfortunately I got rid of all of the above.

But I still have my original Atari VCS and Sega Megadrives.

Buying Computer Magazines was awesome, from the ones withe games listings you typed in (that often didn't work) to the fantastic Crash! (for the Spectrum) and Zzap!64 for the C64. Both of which I have recently backed on their kickstarter campaigns for their annuals, using the original staff, such good reads! I have Crash! 2018, Zzap!64 2019 and am awaiting delivery of Crash! 2019.
      Last edited by Mulletino; 30-10-2018, 01:42.

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Console-wise, I had a Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive and Panasonic 3DO. My old Atari 400 had a cartridge port for games like Defender, Joust and Pole Position. The Megadrive I got was a grey market import I bought from a computer shop about 6 months before the console was officially launched in the UK. The big advantage it had was that it played games from Japan as well as UK games. The official UK cartridges were a different shape and japanese cartridges would not fit a UK machine. I still have the 3DO and a Megadrive, though it is a UK model with a japanese cartridge converter. I never owned any Nintendo or Atari consoles, but as I said, the Atari 400 accepted cartridges. I have no idea if Atari VCS cartridges fitted the Atari 400, though I suspect not. Atari VCS graphics were quite crude and blocky compared to the Atari 400 from what I saw.

Comment

Wow!

Comment

No.
              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Really. New subject someone.

Comment

BACK TO BACK HOUSING.
                  Mainly a product of the north of England but found in many cities, back to back terraced housing built in the 1920s/30s. This is where i was born and raised in damp and draughty housing with an outdoor toilet at the bottom of the yard. Hearth fires and sach windows were the norm with a clothes maiden that would be suspended from the kitchen ceiling.
                  Fireplaces in the bedrooms because central heating was unheard of and a coal grid outside which the coalman would pour a sack of coal down into the cellar. Fond memories for sure but the reality was grim

Comment

Few images... this type of housing was demolished in the 60s/ 70s/80s but a lot of it still stands today.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                      BACK TO BACK HOUSING.
                      Mainly a product of the north of England but found in many cities, back to back terraced housing built in the 1920s/30s. This is where i was born and raised in damp and draughty housing with an outdoor toilet at the bottom of the yard. Hearth fires and sach windows were the norm with a clothes maiden that would be suspended from the kitchen ceiling.
                      Fireplaces in the bedrooms because central heating was unheard of and a coal grid outside which the coalman would pour a sack of coal down into the cellar. Fond memories for sure but the reality was grim
                      I lived in a terrace house from age 15 to around 20. My mother almost became a cripple when the back stairs collapsed and she fell onto concrete below.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                        Few images... this type of housing was demolished in the 60s/ 70s/80s but a lot of it still stands today.
                        Our son and his wife have just been over from Florida and she was blown away by all the terraced houses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                          Our son and his wife have just been over from Florida and she was blown away by all the terraced houses

Thats right a lot of terraced housing still standing but i was referring more to the back to back housing seperated by a back entry
                          Attached Files

Comment

Sorry I wasn't even thinking about your point

I just saw some terraced houses pic and it reminded me of the daughter in laws comments

Comment

Some back to back housing was exactly that, being a terrace the was 2 houses thick. This meant that houses had no back yard or rear windows, but were often built with alleyways every 2 houses to allow for side windows. Some were only 1 room deep but were 2 rooms wide to compensate.

By the 1920s they were judged to be unhealthy & even by the 1930s many had been pulled down.

I've heard a row of them have been preserved in Birmingham.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My mother lived in a terraced house until she was 21 years old. I think they were built in the 1910s or 1920s. They were not back-to-back, just a single row with an alley at the back and the fronts leading directly onto the pavement, so no gardens. Friends of my parents moved into one of the houses in 1972 when they got married, so I got to spend time in one quite a bit when growing up. Originally they had outside toilets but inside ones were installed at some time. They were demolished in 1976 or 1977.

Comment

Working...
                                X