Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: A trip down memory lane

Default Re: A trip down memory lane

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Don't worry you never really get any kidney , thankfully.... bit like you hardly get any meat in a meat and potato pie ..

As to times .. up Manchester way tea-time is 5pm ish .. dinner at 12 noon..

That's why I mentioned the time as it varies around the country ( and classes ?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Of course I had a friend from Liverpool who tried explaining your meal times to me. Your dinner is our lunch. Tea is our dinner 6-8pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    It's available in Asda, if you can manage to get used to the "mouth wash" taste it's really nice with a scoop of ice cream in.
    While I do like the occasional root beer float (root beer with ice cream), it's much too sweet for me. I did try Bundaberg root beer from Australia once which is definitely an acquired taste as it tastes somewhat different.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Chippy Tea eh.. sounds mouth watering except for the kidney. You eat tea at 5pm Zinc?
    Do you have Fish and chip shops in Oz Donald?
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Do you have Fish and chip shops in Oz Donald?
    Maybe they're like the southerners and never sell gravy in their chip shops !!

We had the traditional corner shop Fisho when I was growing up. Most were owned by new Italian or Greek settlers. Dont see them around all that often these days. Most have moved into the shopping arcades. We have crumbed cod and extras every second Friday from the local Fisho.

We have a few Fish Shops here, mostly greek owners. Some do Battered Savs, none do pickled eggs or wallies, some do gravy and you'll find the odd one that does curry sauce.

Used to love going into our local chippy in the UK as a kid and getting a "bag of scraps", all the batter bits out of the bottom of the fryer in a paper bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletino View Post
    We have a few Fish Shops here, mostly greek owners. Some do Battered Savs, none do pickled eggs or wallies, some do gravy and you'll find the odd one that does curry sauce.

Used to love going into our local chippy in the UK as a kid and getting a "bag of scraps", all the batter bits out of the bottom of the fryer in a paper bag.
    Wallies?...Yeah we used to ask for scratchings, bits of fried batter. It was commonplace in the 60s to take your own plate to the chippy, unthinkable now.
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletino View Post

Where are you bud ??

There's a chippy in Lymm ( Lymm Dam) that charges for the fish batter bits !!

As a child growing up, in summer when buttercups were in flower and it was sunny, we would pick one and hold it under someone's chin. If the buttercup cast a glow on the person's skin then we would say that they like butter.

Also, we were told not to pick dandelions as if you did it would make you wee the bed--in fact, we called dandelions 'wee the beds'.

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    As a child growing up, in summer when buttercups were in flower and it was sunny, we would pick one and hold it under someone's chin. If the buttercup cast a glow on the person's skin then we would say that they like butter.

Also, we were told not to pick dandelions as if you did it would make you wee the bed--in fact, we called dandelions 'wee the beds'.
    That's interesting... we had both those over Manchester way ..but the buttercup glow meant you fancied the other person ..

That said I was rather popular with the girls back then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk