This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A trip down memory lane

Yes, a trip to the newsagent on saturday was something I looked forward to all week. I would usually have 5p, or if I was really lucky and it was very occasionally, I might have a whole 10p. I could buy a comic or with 10p, 2 comics or a comic and sweets.

Comment

Originally posted by big kid View Post
      it used to be in bolton, england. where i live.
      Wow .... I'm a Bury lad .. we're almost neighbours !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• A trip down memory lane

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
        Yes, a trip to the newsagent on saturday was something I looked forward to all week. I would usually have 5p, or if I was really lucky and it was very occasionally, I might have a whole 10p. I could buy a comic or with 10p, 2 comics or a comic and sweets.

I go back to the late 50's and I remember going to the chip shop with 2 shillings / 10p and getting fish and chips plus change !

I also remember buying comics from the local newsagents.. Beano , Dandy , Topper spring to mind ...

Every so often we got a gift with one of the comics - the best was a little thing made out of card and paper .. that went BANG when you caught the wind in it ..

Rubbish description but some will know what I'm waffling on about ..

Last edited by Zincubus; 13-11-2018, 22:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
          I go back to the late 50's and I remember going to the chip shop with 2 shillings / 10p and getting fish and chips plus change !

I also remember buying comics from the local newsagents.. Beano , Dandy , Topper spring to mind ...

Every so often we got a gift with one of the comics - the best was a little thing made out of card and paper .. that went BANG when you caught the wind in it ..

Rubbish description but some will know what I'm waffling on about ..

They were known as thunder bangers.

I remember the Beano used to have free gifts once or twice a year, normally when the price was going up!
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I had to walk to the shops to get my goodies as I was not allowed a bike until I was 14. I felt very hard done by as my big brother was allowed one at 12. When I asked my mother why that was she said I can not afford one now. I did not understand then but do now as she was raising us both after my father died. I digress. My fav comics were of the war, horror or secret agent variety.. was never into super heroes. Our local fisho sold the tastiest bream or cod and chips which were wrapped in a plain paper with newspaper on the outer. Another fav fish was the leather jacket.. but that was somewhat more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
              Wow, certainly didn't have any money to do that!
              I didn't get them all at once! Just one of them depending on which was around at the time.

I remember Thunder Clappers, loved the free gifts on comics, I remember getting a Kazoo, a boomerang thing, a clapper and heaps of other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                Used to love that on Saturday mornings, going to buy an Amazing Spider-man comic, New Eagle, Whizzer and Chips, Dandy, Cheeky, Beano, Scream etc. Sometimes they'd have new sweets in like Star Wars heads that you twisted to get small candy out of or chewing gum with movie/TV cards in. Later on it was to see what new computer magazines they had, i.e those ones with the type in listings or to buy some cheap Mastertronic or Firebird game.
                I once had a photo of the inside of a large newsagent c1986 with a display rack of computer games on cassette for £1.99 or £2.99. The newsagent still exists but it no longer sells video games.

Next door to the newsagent was a video shop I used to use in the 1990s. It is now a charity shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                  I didn't get them all at once! Just one of them depending on which was around at the time.

I remember Thunder Clappers, loved the free gifts on comics, I remember getting a Kazoo, a boomerang thing, a clapper and heaps of other things.
                  Nah, couldn't even get one at a time!
                  Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                    I once had a photo of the inside of a large newsagent c1986 with a display rack of computer games on cassette for £1.99 or £2.99. The newsagent still exists but it no longer sells video games.

Next door to the newsagent was a video shop I used to use in the 1990s. It is now a charity shop.
                    Aw man, shame you still dont have the photo, that would be amazing to see!

I used to love going into newsagents just for the smell, same with WH Smiths, living overseas it's a treat going in there when i'm back home and inhaling.

Comment

Video shops are another thing gone the way of the dinosaur fellars and Jemima.. Many is the time I spent up to an hour rifling thru hundreds of VHS movie titles for something to watch with friends or the family. Was a cheap alternative to the movie theatre and more intimate. Look out if you returned the tapes late tho as there was a penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                        Video shops are another thing gone the way of the dinosaur fellars and Jemima.. Many is the time I spent up to an hour rifling thru hundreds of VHS movie titles for something to watch with friends or the family. Was a cheap alternative to the movie theatre and more intimate. Look out if you returned the tapes late tho as there was a penalty.
                        Remember the hours spent at Blockbuster scouring the endless shelves for films that looked interesting then reading the back cover to see the story ... all lies usually... at least we have IMDB and Amazon to read reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                          Thats true but then i dont think anybody manufactures or indeed sells video players anymore either. a new dvd player can now be bought for £30, this will be next to bite the dust with the advent of streaming.
                          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I remember the racks of computer games tapes in some newsagents for £1.99 or £2.99. They would be either original games or re-issues of older games that would have sold for £9.99 when originally released. I bought lots of these for my C128 and Atari.

I really miss video shops. It is very convenient having films at the click of a computer mouse, but it isn't like visiting a video shop. It was ideal for a cheap date with your gf. A couple of videos, bags of crisps and a bottle of pop...ideal for those like me who couldn't afford many trips to the cinema for two. There must have been 15+ video shops around here over the years and I was a member of most of them at one time or another. The first one I joined was in the autumn of 1980 and it was one of the earliest around here. Actually, it was a record shop that branched out into video rentals. If anyone knows the area and was around back then, it was A.S. Records in Cannock. When you joined you had to pay a £20 deposit, but that £20 was used up as you rented videos at £1 per tape per day. I preferred the independant shops to the chains as they were often quite quirky in their choice of stock and most you could chat to the owner about good films to rent. At some stores there was a free magazine that seemed to come out every month or so that featured new films that were coming out. This lasted into the 90s and was really just adverts for films but pre-internet it was useful to find out what was being released.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                              I remember the racks of computer games tapes in some newsagents for £1.99 or £2.99. They would be either original games or re-issues of older games that would have sold for £9.99 when originally released. I bought lots of these for my C128 and Atari.

I really miss video shops. It is very convenient having films at the click of a computer mouse, but it isn't like visiting a video shop. It was ideal for a cheap date with your gf. A couple of videos, bags of crisps and a bottle of pop...ideal for those like me who couldn't afford many trips to the cinema for two. There must have been 15+ video shops around here over the years and I was a member of most of them at one time or another. The first one I joined was in the autumn of 1980 and it was one of the earliest around here. Actually, it was a record shop that branched out into video rentals. If anyone knows the area and was around back then, it was A.S. Records in Cannock. When you joined you had to pay a £20 deposit, but that £20 was used up as you rented videos at £1 per tape per day. I preferred the independant shops to the chains as they were often quite quirky in their choice of stock and most you could chat to the owner about good films to rent. At some stores there was a free magazine that seemed to come out every month or so that featured new films that were coming out. This lasted into the 90s and was really just adverts for films but pre-internet it was useful to find out what was being released.
                              Invariably the tapes were returned without having been re-wound...so annoying, and most of them smelt of cigarette smoke...uggh!
                              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Our local village video store was small, so small that i had nearly watched all the videos they had at one point (i was into martial arts at the time so rented all their dodgy martial arts movies). A far cry from later days when you'd spend ages staring at rows of movies trying to pick something. I think I still have Air America VHS which we rented from a then GF's local.

Oh and my local video shop also rented out Atari games and consoles, same with Sega ones later. Used to love renting those games out for a weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X