X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A trip down memory lane

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Did you have drive ins in the UK?
    We picked up most things American in the 50/60s.. drive ins were one of them. There had been one built adjacent to our cousins place (see below). So when we were over there we would beg our uncle to take us kids to see the latest double feature. When we were not taken we could actually watch the movies from their backyard. No sound of course.

Comment

The above foto was taken in 1956. The Drive In closed in 1984.

Comment

I am not sure about drive-ins here in the UK. I'm not aware of any, but there may have been a few dotted about. The weather here isn't really suitable for drive-ins. In summer the evenings are light until quite late and in winter when it is dark early it is too cold to sit in a car watching a film. lol

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
          I am not sure about drive-ins here in the UK. I'm not aware of any, but there may have been a few dotted about. The weather here isn't really suitable for drive-ins. In summer the evenings are light until quite late and in winter when it is dark early it is too cold to sit in a car watching a film. lol
          Looks like this will be a short subject. Any further ideas?
          Last edited by Donald the Great; 13-09-2018, 12:23.

Comment

never really got the point of a drive in theatre, i think i would prefer going to the cinema frankly
            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Looks like this will be a short subject. Any further ideas?
              Who would play on the docks or the railways as a kid? ,we had Salford docks right at the end of our street, if you were clever you could sneak past security and go fool around on the freight liners,we would have great fun exploring. i remember one ship we were able to get onto we found a massive consignment of boxes marked "kelloggs", we tore one open expecting to find cereals but it contained thousands of the little plastic toys that were sometimes free with your cornflakes,we all promptly filled our pockets and were able to get out without being caught.

Comment

The railway lines were much easier to access, usually just climbing through the hole cut in a wire fence with little or no security to worry about.The dangers of playing on the railways diden't occur to a snotty kid of 10, we were invincible, we would climb on top of the trains without giving a thought to possibly falling off and getting electrocuted. we would put pennies on the line to see how flat the trains would make them and we would explore the dark tunnels as if we were indiana jones. All exhilarating stuff as a kid

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                  never really got the point of a drive in theatre, i think i would prefer going to the cinema frankly
                  Before we close this subject I wanna add something. There was no better way to get to know a girl than at a drive in. Think about it when the lites are out complete privacy unlike a movie theatre. Get my drift?

Comment

Who would play on the docks or the railways as a kid? ,we had Salford docks right at the end of our street, if you were clever you could sneak past security and go fool around on the freight liners,we would have great fun exploring. i remember one ship we were able to get onto we found a massive consignment of boxes marked "kelloggs", we tore one open expecting to find cereals but it contained thousands of the little plastic toys that were sometimes free with your cornflakes,we all promptly filled our pockets and were able to get out without being caught.
                    We used to play on the docks when we lived in the inner city. Never actually went onto any ships like you monsters. Wow how did you get away with that. Security must have been slack. We used to sneak into huge wharehouses and fossick around. Great times we had. Like you say at 10 you are fearless. Fun is the primary consideration.

Comment

The railway lines were much easier to access, usually just climbing through the hole cut in a wire fence with little or no security to worry about.The dangers of playing on the railways diden't occur to a snotty kid of 10, we were invincible, we would climb on top of the trains without giving a thought to possibly falling off and getting electrocuted. we would put pennies on the line to see how flat the trains would make them and we would explore the dark tunnels as if we were indiana jones. All exhilarating stuff as a kid
                      I do recall we once snuck into Everleigh freightyards. It was pretty much where all the old trains went to die. Would spend hours wandering the old trains. I also recall wandering the underground train tunnels. Forgotten the station. These were fascinating and kinda scary. Often found signs of habitation .. probably homeless people. Agree exhilarating for a kid.

Comment

We used to play on the docks when we lived in the inner city. Never actually went onto any ships like you monsters. Wow how did you get away with that. Security must have been slack. We used to sneak into huge wharehouses and fossick around. Great times we had. Like you say at 10 you are fearless. Fun is the primary consideration.
                        Monsters is probably an apt description but it was all innocent but mischievous fun, a rite of passage that all kids should go through, there is little innocence today in comparison when you see young kids being abusive to adults, being destructive and being generally obnoxious.

Comment

Monsters is probably an apt description but it was all innocent but mischievous fun, a rite of passage that all kids should go through, there is little innocence today in comparison when you see young kids being abusive to adults, being destructive and being generally obnoxious.
                          Ironically many people moan about kids today being too wimpy, normally the sort of people who are too far into the right wing media.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

We made our own fun in our era .. todays kids are spoon fed their fun.

Comment

Jees I was only telling the wife this last night !!

45 years ago .. .. in our local park

Some workmen were putting in new telegraphs poles nearby and made the mistake of leaving one at the roadside overnight..

About 20 of us carried it into the park playground area and wedged it in between two climbing stumps ..then used it as a huge 20' see~saw !!!

Health and safety nightmare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We made our own fun in our era .. todays kids are spoon fed their fun.
                                See post above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X