Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: A trip down memory lane

Default Re: A trip down memory lane

Quote Originally Posted by victorbrunswick View Post
    They've pretty much tore down much of my old high school and are building an entirely new campus in its place.
    This school was built by the mysterious Masons.. so it was built to last. Pity as it was a strict, draconian establishment that stunted your growth (not literally) and kept me from having a happy childhood. I have a rare video of my boarding school. Wanna see it anyone? I am fairly sure there is a scene where myself and my older brother appear.

Here is that vid I spoke of for those interested. Taken in the mid 60s I am guessing.
    https://youtu.be/SWiQA0OvKX8

Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Here is that vid I spoke of for those interested. Taken in the mid 60s I am guessing.
    https://youtu.be/SWiQA0OvKX8
    Lot of history right there Donald, a million miles away from the scruffy hell hole i attended.
    The meek shall inherit the earth

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Lot of history right there Donald, a million miles away from the scruffy hell hole i attended.
    \
    Dont let appearances deceive tex. This too was a hell hole.. albeit an oppulent one. The word draconian was invented in establishments such as these. You saw the sports day in the clip.. that my friend was the only organised sporting event run by the school. The rest we had to improvise as there were no actual sporting grounds. We made our own.. If we wanted to play rugger or cricket we had to remove the cow c*** first. We were not allowed to buy any lollies or other goodies. If you sneaked out to the shops you were put on heavy detention.. a second time and you were expelled. Instant expulsion if you were more than a day awol. We were allowed a whole hour of weeknite television and two hrs on weekends. The food we were made to stomach was neither tasty nor nutritional. eg. the soup.. we called 'dishwater" actually had weavils floating in it. We had an egg a week and toast only twice a week. We were marched 5 klm to church every Sunday regardless of weather. Mate I could write a book on that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    \
    Dont let appearances deceive tex. This too was a hell hole.. albeit an oppulent one. The word draconian was invented in establishments such as these. You saw the sports day in the clip.. that my friend was the only organised sporting event run by the school. The rest we had to improvise as there were no actual sporting grounds. We made our own.. If we wanted to play rugger or cricket we had to remove the cow c*** first. We were not allowed to buy any lollies or other goodies. If you sneaked out to the shops you were put on heavy detention.. a second time and you were expelled. Instant expulsion if you were more than a day awol. We were allowed a whole hour of weeknite television and two hrs on weekends. The food we were made to stomach was neither tasty nor nutritional. eg. the soup.. we called 'dishwater" actually had weavils floating in it. We had an egg a week and toast only twice a week. We were marched 5 klm to church every Sunday regardless of weather. Mate I could write a book on that place.
    Wow, sounds awful, Many would say character building but i expect you see it differently, sounds like a concentration camp
    The meek shall inherit the earth

Roald Dahl mentions a few horror stories in Boy of his time at St Peter's School in Weston Super Mare. It got so bad he faked having appendicitis to be sent home.

Later on he learnt the ropes & went to Repton school without so many problems, but was considered a maverick there.
    The Trickster On The Roof