Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: A trip down memory lane

Default Re: A trip down memory lane

Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    We used to play on the docks when we lived in the inner city. Never actually went onto any ships like you monsters. Wow how did you get away with that. Security must have been slack. We used to sneak into huge wharehouses and fossick around. Great times we had. Like you say at 10 you are fearless. Fun is the primary consideration.
    Monsters is probably an apt description but it was all innocent but mischievous fun, a rite of passage that all kids should go through, there is little innocence today in comparison when you see young kids being abusive to adults, being destructive and being generally obnoxious.
    The meek shall inherit the earth

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Monsters is probably an apt description but it was all innocent but mischievous fun, a rite of passage that all kids should go through, there is little innocence today in comparison when you see young kids being abusive to adults, being destructive and being generally obnoxious.
    Ironically many people moan about kids today being too wimpy, normally the sort of people who are too far into the right wing media.
    The Trickster On The Roof

We made our own fun in our era .. todays kids are spoon fed their fun.

Jees I was only telling the wife this last night !!

45 years ago .. .. in our local park

Some workmen were putting in new telegraphs poles nearby and made the mistake of leaving one at the roadside overnight..

About 20 of us carried it into the park playground area and wedged it in between two climbing stumps ..then used it as a huge 20' see~saw !!!

Health and safety nightmare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We made our own fun in our era .. todays kids are spoon fed their fun.
    See post above

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Jees I was only telling the wife this last night !!

45 years ago .. .. in our local park

Some workmen were putting in new telegraphs poles nearby and made the mistake of leaving one at the roadside overnight..

About 20 of us carried it into the park playground area and wedged it in between two climbing stumps ..then used it as a huge 20' see~saw !!!

Health and safety nightmare

spot on

You will never guess what my brother and his mates did with newly dug telegraph pole holes. They would take it in turns squeezing into them to see who would stay down there the longest. One day his mates closed him in and shortly after they scattered as a thunderstorm hit. My brother almost drowned that day. Shows you some fun play can be dangerous.

You will never guess what my brother and his mates did with newly dug telegraph pole holes. They would take it in turns squeezing into them to see who would stay down there the longest. One day his mates closed him in and shortly after they scattered as a thunderstorm hit. My brother almost drowned that day. Shows you some fun play can be dangerous.
    As i have said many times, as a kid you are fearless, invincible because danger rarely enters your head. We would scale buildings due for demolition to get the lead flashing
    The meek shall inherit the earth

Something that neatly illustrates the difference between previous generations and today is play equipment in parks. It used to be that it was just constructed on bare concrete, now it is constructed on that soft, slightly springy material, just in case one of the children fall over. Also, at our local park, the play equipment is now fenced off and you have to go through a gate to access it to keep dogs away.

Default A trip down memory lane

As i have said many times, as a kid you are fearless, invincible because danger rarely enters your head. We would scale buildings due for demolition to get the lead flashing
    We used to climb on shed or outside building roofs - about 7' high and jump off and land on concrete flags ... when i think about it I can remember the burning sensation in my ankles and feet ..