X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A trip down memory lane

Originally posted by tex View Post
    Who remembers there first pint in a pub?
    Not much of a drinker (or a pint for that matter), but my mother made me go to a local pub on my 18th birthday and I had a Babycham, I believe. The caterers also had some spare food that I polished off as well.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Any ideas ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
        Any ideas ?

A car?
        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

A car?
          That's what I thought!
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

A very old car ... 40 yrs old ?

It looks so familiar yet I can't put a name to it ..

Comment

Looks like a Ford Granada.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                Any ideas ?

I am with George here Tex that it could be a Granada - but as my FGrandad had one of the exact same colour and we can see it's bonnett or front I am also so so tempted to say/believe it is a Ford Cortina may-be too!

Comment

Who remembers there first pint in a pub?

So i was about 15 (1974) my only experience with booze up to this point had been a sneaky tin of double diamond that i had at a house party, my mates were the same age and in those days it was so easy to get served,so we all decided on a pub to go to (the brown cow) chesters best mild was the drink of choice, i think it was a whitbreads brew made in Manchester, so a deep breath and in we marched on tiptoes and puffing our chests out whilst trying to look 18, my mate jimmy looked the oldest so he was the nominated lamb to the slaughter "four pints of mild please" and amazingly he was served without question, it must of been obvious we were underage , guess they needed the business so we all sat round the table with the regulars sneering at us, hairy assed dockers and builders, so the moment arrived and we all took our first ever gulp of cask pulled ale and it tasted f***** awful, still we drank it down and after entering the pub as boys we left as men and walked home with a swagger in our stride
                  Bumped.
                  Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Bumped.

Yes, it was much more relaxed back then so long as you didn't play the fool. I was about the same age and there was no way that I looked 18. Off-licences were similar and I would more often get a can of beer from one of those and drink it somewhere quiet. Funnily enough, back in the 70s I don't recall seeing many underage teenagers the worse for wear in the street. Maybe it happened in other towns, but can't say I saw many round here.

Comment

My story was similar staffslad. My older brother took me to my first pub and christened me into drinking alcohol just after turning 17. Not sure how my brother got me into the establishment as no way I looked of age. I was still rather baby faced. He later told me he slipped the landlord a small bribe saying " I am giving my little brother his first taste of manhood".

Comment

What was your first job? Mine was in a foto shop when I was 17. It sparked a desire in me to become a professional photographer.. but did not turn out that way when my expensive camera (which I foolishly never insured) was stolen. By this time I was taking family snaps and doing the odd family/friend's special occasions. I photographed my brothers 21st. wedding. I also did my own processing and printing. So when my camera was purloined by some low life my world came tumbling down.

Comment

Vacation job in a chicken hatchery! I tell you, sitting on those eggs all day...
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                            Vacation job in a chicken hatchery! I tell you, sitting on those eggs all day...
                            humorous zabba. for real in a chicken hatchery?

Comment

My first job was a paper round delivering the evening paper after school plus the sporting pink paper saturday evenings during the football season. I actually worked for the paper itself, rather than a newsagent. About 2pm monday to saturday one of their vans would chuck a roll of papers onto our garden and when I got back from school I would deliver them round our estate. Even now I can remember the paper cost 7p and I added 1p per week for delivery adding up to 43p per week. I took in all the money then once per month a bloke from the paper would call on saturday morning and tell me how much they wanted for the papers. I ended up with about £4 per week and more when I was delivering the pink in football season. This was good money at the time as paperboys working for newsagents would be on £2 per week if they were lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                                humorous zabba. for real in a chicken hatchery?
                                Oh yes, the company was called Lloyd Maunder, one of the biggest employers in our area!

This is the local branch (although I believe the hatchery bit the big one some time ago):

Attached Files
                                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                                X