X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A trip down memory lane

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
    Jees I was only telling the wife this last night !!

45 years ago .. .. in our local park

Some workmen were putting in new telegraphs poles nearby and made the mistake of leaving one at the roadside overnight..

About 20 of us carried it into the park playground area and wedged it in between two climbing stumps ..then used it as a huge 20' see~saw !!!

Health and safety nightmare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    spot on

Comment

You will never guess what my brother and his mates did with newly dug telegraph pole holes. They would take it in turns squeezing into them to see who would stay down there the longest. One day his mates closed him in and shortly after they scattered as a thunderstorm hit. My brother almost drowned that day. Shows you some fun play can be dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
        You will never guess what my brother and his mates did with newly dug telegraph pole holes. They would take it in turns squeezing into them to see who would stay down there the longest. One day his mates closed him in and shortly after they scattered as a thunderstorm hit. My brother almost drowned that day. Shows you some fun play can be dangerous.
        As i have said many times, as a kid you are fearless, invincible because danger rarely enters your head. We would scale buildings due for demolition to get the lead flashing
        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Something that neatly illustrates the difference between previous generations and today is play equipment in parks. It used to be that it was just constructed on bare concrete, now it is constructed on that soft, slightly springy material, just in case one of the children fall over. Also, at our local park, the play equipment is now fenced off and you have to go through a gate to access it to keep dogs away.

Comment

• A trip down memory lane

Originally posted by tex View Post
            As i have said many times, as a kid you are fearless, invincible because danger rarely enters your head. We would scale buildings due for demolition to get the lead flashing
            We used to climb on shed or outside building roofs - about 7' high and jump off and land on concrete flags ... when i think about it I can remember the burning sensation in my ankles and feet ..

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
              Something that neatly illustrates the difference between previous generations and today is play equipment in parks. It used to be that it was just constructed on bare concrete, now it is constructed on that soft, slightly springy material, just in case one of the children fall over. Also, at our local park, the play equipment is now fenced off and you have to go through a gate to access it to keep dogs away.
              Yup, our climbing frame was pretty much metal tubing with concrete and broken bottles underneath, that certainly taught you not to fall off!

The swings were metal framed with wooden seats, which we'd jump off of, they hurt when they got you in the face/head though.

Roundabouts were also metal and wood, with gaps that you could fit your arm under, if you were stupid.

The local slide was a massive metal affair, with a cage up the top which we'd climb in, and the actual slide was long and metal, a real leg burner in the summer, but awesome when it worked.

When we were visiting the UK this year we stayed at my brother's house and took my kids to a local park, i was pleased to see they still have a metal/wood roundabout, a big metal seesaw (which my brother and I had a go on) and the old style swings, so refreshing in this day of rubber and plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                We used to climb on shed or outside building roofs - about 7' high and jump off and land on concrete flags ... when i think about it I can remember the burning sensation in my ankles and feet ..
                That was the worst feeling, jumping off a high wall after sitting on it for a while to get that horrid feet/ankle burn!

We used to play on our shed and garage roofs, they were asbestos so we had to be careful we didn't fall through them, that was the only worry back then!

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                  Yup, our climbing frame was pretty much metal tubing with concrete and broken bottles underneath, that certainly taught you not to fall off!

The swings were metal framed with wooden seats, which we'd jump off of, they hurt when they got you in the face/head though.

Roundabouts were also metal and wood, with gaps that you could fit your arm under, if you were stupid.

The local slide was a massive metal affair, with a cage up the top which we'd climb in, and the actual slide was long and metal, a real leg burner in the summer, but awesome when it worked.

When we were visiting the UK this year we stayed at my brother's house and took my kids to a local park, i was pleased to see they still have a metal/wood roundabout, a big metal seesaw (which my brother and I had a go on) and the old style swings, so refreshing in this day of rubber and plastic.
                  when my kids were young i took them to the park and decided to have a go on the slide, i was ofcourse much too old and should have known better, i came off the end far too fast and landed on the concrete base, i could hardly walk and after a few days decided to go to my doctor, the x-rays revealed a cracked coccyx (the tailbone) and it still pains me to this day.
                  Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                    I have noticed over recent times that more and more playground equipment is being dissembled due to insurance considerations. I recall I had great fun playing on playground swings, monkey bars and roundabouts when I was a kid. Not fair to remove this fun past time.. specially with todays kids spending far too much time indoors on computer games and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                      when my kids were young i took them to the park and decided to have a go on the slide, i was ofcourse much too old and should have known better, i came off the end far too fast and landed on the concrete base, i could hardly walk and after a few days decided to go to my doctor, the x-rays revealed a cracked coccyx (the tailbone) and it still pains me to this day.
                      I had my share of playground accidents. I have fallen off the monkey bars, slipped too fast down the slippery slide and landing on my bum on a hard ground. I recall I flew off a roundabout and fractured my arm in two places. I can see why playground owners are closing their sites as are they not liable for an accidents that happen on their equipment?

Comment

See if I can think of a new subject while you all sleep.

Comment

I recall a little stone cottage being gutted in a bad fire ... all that was left was the stone shell ... it made a fabulous meeting place / dry & safe house for all the local kids for what 'seemed' like years ..

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                            Yup, our climbing frame was pretty much metal tubing with concrete and broken bottles underneath, that certainly taught you not to fall.
                            We used to call them "monkey bars."

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                              This is my old school today. A wedding reception venue.
                              They've pretty much tore down much of my old high school and are building an entirely new campus in its place.

Comment

Our local park also had a couple of tennis courts that were surfaced with rough grey concrete. They have also been resurfaced to make them safer.

Comment

Working...
                                X