X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A trip down memory lane

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
    I don't remember us ever being allowed to have anything when we went to the cinema...
    We would very occasionally have an ice cream tub and a Kia-Ora when I was young and my mom took me.

If I was taking a girl, I would arrange to meet her outside Woolworth's as it was a couple of minutes from the cinema, and we would go inside and get some pick 'n' mix. Cinema sweets prices were outside my affordability range. If I was flush--not often--I would sometimes buy her an ice cream of some kind during intermission and share it if she offered.

If I was going alone, a packet of Polos or similar was enough.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
      We would very occasionally have an ice cream tub and a Kia-Ora when I was young and my mom took me.

If I was taking a girl, I would arrange to meet her outside Woolworth's as it was a couple of minutes from the cinema, and we would go inside and get some pick 'n' mix. Cinema sweets prices were outside my affordability range. If I was flush--not often--I would sometimes buy her an ice cream of some kind during intermission and share it if she offered.

Pick n mix...wow you must of been loaded, one trick is to choose marshmallows and pink shrimps,more for your moohlah. At my local "vue"cinema admission is now £3.99 every monday and a bag of revels...also £3.99, go figure.
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Other films i remember seeing with my uncle where supergirl and neverending story.

Yeah staffslad it may well have been a triple bill that was done nationwide in fact id be sure of it.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
          Pick n mix...wow you must of been loaded, one trick is to choose marshmallows and pink shrimps,more for your moohlah. At my local "vue"cinema admission is now £3.99 every monday and a bag of revels...also £3.99, go figure.

I am talking about the late 70s into the mid 80s, so I don't think it was so bad back then pick 'n' mix wise, though my eye was always on VFM. Yeah, marshmallows and shrimps are nice and light, but they don't seem to last long, so I was ina quandry as to whether to choose toffees and boiled sweets instead--heavier but it takes your date longer to get through them lol.

The last time I went to the cinema was to see Titantic around 1999 or whenever it was released. It bored me silly and seemed to go on forever. Can't remember what I paid back then, but these days there is simply nothing that even remotely interests me in the cinema, so I instead buy DVDs of old films that I like.

Revels...haven't had any of those for ages...anyone remember that very old ad for Revels on TV with Derrick Guyler around the time he was in Please Sir? "No, you can't have a box of chocolates for sixpence, sonny, but you can have a bag." The reference to sixpence (2.5p in new money) dates it to pre-decimalisation days.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
            Other films i remember seeing with my uncle where supergirl and neverending story.

Yeah staffslad it may well have been a triple bill that was done nationwide in fact id be sure of it.

I didn't see it myself, but I was passing the cinema when the customers were coming out. I spotted my neighbour and his son and stopped and gave them a lift. He told me that he had really enjoyed it, but his son, who was about 3, had slept through most of Empire Strikes Back.

Comment

pick 'n' mix staffslad. In case anyone is wondering wahat a Choo Choo bar is. Here. By the end of the movie your mouth was an ugly black color. Not heard of Fantales in the UK. These are them with their bio of a movie star on the wrapper.

[IMG]https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2014-02/enhanced/webdr05/23/23/enhanced-buzz-8924-1393215337-11.jpg?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto[/IMG]

Comment

If I was going alone, a packet of Polos or similar was enough.[/QUOTE] pick 'n' mix staffslad. In case anyone is wondering wahat a Choo Choo bar is.(see below). By the end of the movie your mouth was an ugly black color. Not heard of Fantales (below) in the UK. Chewy caramel toffee that came with a bio of a movie star on the wrapper Redskins (below) were also one of my faves.

Comment

I don't think we had those sweets here, though there were probably similar ones with different names.

Comment

I seem to remember associating Dolly Mixtures with the cinema, perhaps that was what I bought from the Kiosk when seeing a movie sometimes. I miss the old UK cinemas.

Yeah Fantails are an Australian thing, a chewy caramel/toffee centre with a chocolate surround.

Comment

Some other Aussie confectionery Mulletino you should recall were Cobbers, Milk Bottles, Chokito bars, Clinkers, Snakes Alive, Freckles, Violet Crumble Bars, Life Savers and everyones favorite the Jaffa choc coated balls that evidently we all rolled down the cinema aisles. I never did. Did you?

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                        Me and a couple of mates would go Yabby hunting in a creek after school. If we caught some.. mum cooked them for dinner than nite.

Lets talk pastimes & hobbies you had growing up. Yabbying, catching Cicadas, collecting bird eggs were mine. An Australian Blue Yabby(above). A miniature lobster is a good way to describe them.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                          Some other Aussie confectionery Mulletino you should recall were Cobbers, Milk Bottles, Chokito bars, Clinkers, Snakes Alive, Freckles, Violet Crumble Bars, Life Savers and everyones favorite the Jaffa choc coated balls that evidently we all rolled down the cinema aisles. I never did. Did you?

Milk bottles, yes I feel sure we have them here.

Jaffa balls? Are they related to Jaffa cakes--spongey bottom, half covered in chocolate and with a thin orange jellyish filling. Actually, they are far closer related to biscuits than cakes.

Comment

Milk bottles, yes I feel sure we have them here.

Jaffa balls? Are they related to Jaffa cakes--spongey bottom, half covered in chocolate and with a thin orange jellyish filling. Actually, they are far closer related to biscuits than cakes.
                            Actually Jaffas are orange coated balls with a choc centre. You also no doubt have something similar to Fantales.. tho not with the special wrapper.

Comment

I forgot possibly the best of all Darrell Lee soft Licorice.. the best I have tasted anywhere in the world, their equally yummy Rocky Road and the mouth watering Cherry Ripe.. am Australian invention I believe.

Comment

Lets talk pastimes & hobbies you had growing up. Yabbying, catching Cicadas, collecting bird eggs were mine. An Australian Blue Yabby(below). A miniature lobster is a good way to describe them.

Comment

Working...
                                X